Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Begginer Tuner with slowww del sol needs help !!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Begginer Tuner with slowww del sol needs help !!

hey, i'm new to the tuning scene and have recently purchased a 93 del sol s. i am looking to give my car some power. to start off i dont even know which engine i have im guessing a d16 but i know there are several d16 engines. How can i find out which exact one i have ? secondly some people have told me to swap the head on my engine to a b-series head... is this smart ? the car has its original engine and it only has 35k miles , how/where can i find a b series head that wont fail on me ? i have also been looking at turbonetics turbo systems which offer everything in one package. however they only offer things for del sol si's. so i dont know which kit would fit my car ? do i look at the d16 turbo kits for civic lx's or do i look at the del sol si's b 16 turbo kits? also if i do change the head then what turbo would i look at then? additionally... i know the basic things to add hp such as intake, exhaust etc.. but what other things could i do to my d16 to add hp ? i've heard of pulleys, flywheels, cams but im not familiar with what these things do or if they add hp at all. I know i do not know much but any help with any question is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Begginer Tuner with slowww del sol needs help !! (Orange Del Sol)

R u the one who work for Santora's pizza at williamsville?
Old 10-30-2004, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Begginer Tuner with slowww del sol needs help !! (scsheong)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by scsheong &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">R u the one who work for Santora's pizza at williamsville?</TD></TR></TABLE>
This is definitely a helpful answer

First off, your engine code is stamped on the block just to the left of the exhaust manifold.

Secondly, you can't swap b-series parts onto d-series engines (a few exceptions). Since the d-series engine is SOHC (single overhead cam) and B-series engines are DOHC (dual overhead cam), swapping a b-series head to a d-series block won't work. As for finding yourself parts, it's easiest to figure out which engine you have, and buy parts for that engine.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Begginer Tuner with slowww del sol needs help !! (scsheong)

no i dont work at a pizzeria
Old 10-30-2004, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Begginer Tuner with slowww del sol needs help !! (green00EX)

thanks for your answers, except that i dont know where the exhaust intake manifold is ... but i can figure it out so i will look at that the reason im confused is because ive seen d16y7 or d16a6 and i dont know which one of those i have. anyways i have heard of a term called frankestein engines which i thought were either b series head with d series blocks or vice versa do you know anything about that ?
Old 10-30-2004, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're motor is the d15b7. The frankenstein motor is when (in your case) you take the d16z6 vtec head and put it on your block; commonly refered to as the mini-me. For a turbo kit you could go with one for the d16z6 motor. Although (this is not ment to be a slam just the truth) if you don't know what the intake and exhaust manifolds even are, then you shouldn't be messing with your motor at all.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:52 PM

mini me= non vtec d bottom end, vtec d head.
Frank= b20/b18 non vtec block w/ b series vtec head.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:52 PM

Find you airbox, this is where the air filter is. It is the front left of the engine bay. Follow the black ribbed tubing to the first metal part you see. That is the throttle body, it's slightly bigger than a fist. The throttle body connects to the intake manifold. This is a greyish metal piece that has four plenums running off it into the engine. The plenums are metal pipeways for air to enter the cylinders and mix with gasoline. On top of the intake manifold is the fuel rail, it looks like a skinny piece of aluminum siding, if you look- you will see all four injectors sticking out of it. On the opposite side of where the intake manifold connects to the engine (it connects on the back) is the exhaust manifold.
It vents exhaust from the engine.

Bizzle, there's a starting "orientation".

And you'll want atleast a D16z6 in time. I'm ditchin' my z6 for a B16a.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Begginer Tuner with slowww del sol needs help !! (green00EX)

Quote, originally posted by scsheong »
R u the one who work for Santora's pizza at williamsville?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by green00EX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
This is definitely a helpful answer
. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol
Old 10-30-2004, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Begginer Tuner with slowww del sol needs help !! (skt)

It sounds like you know nothing about engines. It's not a bad thing. Everybody started there at the beginning. I suggest you go over to http://www.howstuffworks.com to get a good basic understanding of engines, transmissions, turbos, etc. then come back. You will get flamed like crazy if you start off asking rather basic questions like that. This site is more for advanced topics, and looks down upon people who are noobs. It's just the way it is. Other than that, good luck on your build and have fun.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Begginer Tuner with slowww del sol needs help !! (CivicSpoon)

well i wont actually be the person doing the work, but i definetly want to know do some research so i dont go and give my car blindly to the shop without knowing whats going on.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Keep it all stock and bolt in a Jackson Supercharger for ~ $2700.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:45 AM

Default Re: Begginer Tuner with slowww del sol needs help !! (97dxnut)

youre right im pretty much clueless as to how engines work, but i think the best way to learn is to listen to people that have a lot of experience so instead of coming on and pretending i knew a lot i went the honest way and pretty much let you know that i know nothing. anyway your advice has been well taken and i will go to the website to get a better idea of how engines actually work, but any help from you guys is still appreciated.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:47 AM

Default Re: Begginer Tuner with slowww del sol needs help !! (f1z1c)

i thought about this but a supercharger wont give me as much gain as a turbo ... are there any other pros to a supercharger aside from the lower price? also i dont want to just put one thing ... i want to more than double my current hp so i will need more than just a supercharger or a turbo