Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Beaks Sway Bar Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Beaks Sway Bar Kit (MadRussian03)

What are your springrates? That has an effect on tearout. I've seen ripped subframes with the beaks kit and low springrates. The kits that work are from A-spec, Comptech, SRR etc that come with a lower tie support.

Old 06-15-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Beaks Sway Bar Kit (AutoXer)

your subframe will still might give way with that thing. invest in a comptech or a-spec racing tie/sway combo... or just get the tie brace alone. those REALLY work. look at the design.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:57 PM

I have seen posts on this forum and others, about people having the subframe tear even WITH the BEAKS KIT.

Sell that kit or return it. Go get a ASPEC-RACING ITR reinforcement kit. the reinforcement brace from ASPEC is alot better design, you can just look at the thing and visually see that it probably wont tear subframe.

Im picking up one of the ASPEC kits. around $320 for the whole setup.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:01 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Beaks Sway Bar Kit (yh23)

Where can you get the ASPEC kit?
Old 06-15-2005, 02:43 PM
JV
Who?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> have seen posts on this forum and others, about people having the subframe tear even WITH the BEAKS KIT.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you wouldn't mind, could you please post links to those threads? I'd like to see if there is some sort of common trait which led to the failure in each of those instances. I have only seen one or 2 threads / posts directly dealing with subframe failure and the Beaks SRK.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MadRussian03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I have not put it on just yet, but i started reading around and noted that ppl say even with the subframe reinforcement kit there could be subframe tear out.

My question is, has anyone had subframe tear out while using this EG sway bar kit from Beaks while using the car for daily driving. Would you reccomend using a different reinforcement kit?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

In your case i would not really worry about it.

I ran the Beaks SRK, 22mm USDM ITR rear bar, "civic rate" skunk coilovers, and stock teg shocks on my old "EG" coupe for 2 years, daily driven half that time, while attending numerous autoX's all in between.

No problems...

I am currently running the same rear sway bar setup on my "EG" hatch with much stiffer spring rates / shocks. Now i'm not going to sit here and say i am not at all worried about tearout, but considering i mainly autocross smaller, low speed type courses on street tires, i feel there is a very good chance that i will not experience that type of damage.

Just my .02
Old 06-15-2005, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Beaks Sway Bar Kit (JV)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JV &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If you wouldn't mind, could you please post links to those threads? I'd like to see if there is some sort of common trait which led to the failure in each of those instances. I have only seen one or 2 threads / posts directly dealing with subframe failure and the Beaks SRK.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

They all have to do with running to low of springrates from what I've seen. Even the 'civic rate' S2 coilovers are a frairly high rate.

Old 06-15-2005, 05:32 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

They all have to do with running to low of springrates from what I've seen. Even the 'civic rate' S2 coilovers are a frairly high rate.

</TD></TR></TABLE>What do you think are the lowest spring rates you could get away with? Street drivability.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:17 PM
JV
Who?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmmm, this is the only one i could remember / dig up directly involving a Beaks SRK:

https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=2

Look for user Jackson's posts. I believe the HA's had a fairly decent spring rate also, no?

Old 06-15-2005, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1261125

i would return the beaks and save some money... my 2 cents.
you can see my setup in my post here.... i went with the bsq kit... and no problems at all.. even with 3" drop.

and most of the tear outs have been on ek's i have yet to hear or see a post about an eg ripping out on street driving or otherwise... not to say they wont. there are numerous ek's on here that have met their doom.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Beaks Sway Bar Kit (JV)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JV &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Look for user Jackson's posts. I believe the HA's had a fairly decent spring rate also, no?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't doubt that there could be failure even with high springrates, just that the only ones I could think of were with lower ones. I personally am not a fan of the Beaks kit, and don't see how the few peices of metal are supposed to distribute the loading forces of the sway to prevent tear.

Old 06-15-2005, 06:50 PM
JV
Who?

I don't doubt that there could be failure even with high springrates, just that the only ones I could think of were with lower ones. I personally am not a fan of the Beaks kit, and don't see how the few peices of metal are supposed to distribute the loading forces of the sway to prevent tear.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am in no way trying to sell anybody on the Beaks SRK. I'm sure there are superior products on the market. All i really wanted to see was some proof that all these threads about subframe failure while using this particular product exist. I see a lot of users down talking it and have yet to see more than one actual example.

As far as i know Jackson may be the only person on this message board that has actually had this occur while using this kit???
Old 06-15-2005, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep, i heard what i need to hear, Im gona sell the Beaks and get the A-Spec. Im gona loose some money, but what can i do, Sucks.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Beaks Sway Bar Kit

I have recently purchased Beaks Eg Anti Sway Bar Kit which consist of this:

Beaks SRK-EG/DC subframe reinforcement
O.E. Acura Integra Type-R rear stabilizer bar, 22mm diameter
O.E. Acura polyurethane end-link bushings
O.E. Acura steel bushing collars
O.E. Acura rear stabilizer end-link assemblies
Prothane polyurethane bushing and bracket kit

I have not put it on just yet, but i started reading around and noted that ppl say even with the subframe reinforcement kit there could be subframe tear out.

My question is, has anyone had subframe tear out while using this EG sway bar kit from Beaks while using the car for daily driving. Would you reccomend using a different reinforcement kit?

Please show me your feedback. THanks.