Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bay shaving questions!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Bay shaving questions!

Alright so i've got a 93' Del Sol project on my hands (its my first project btw) i've never undertaken something this big before but i'm hoping some of you can help. I'm not new to forums or Hondas but i am new to this forum so i figure i'll use one of my "NEWB" cards on this question. What are the only necessray holes to keep in the engine bay because i'm going for the floating engine look!?

Now before you go saying "well thats a very vague question" or things along those lines, im not keeping anything! There wont be any heat, A/C, or power steering and i plan on running an in line fuel filter somewhere under the chasis instead of on the upper left hand side of the firewall where they are placed from the factory. The battery will be relocated as well, and its going to have a boosted B16A sitting in place of the factory D15B7. So as questioned before, what holes and or studs must i keep?

Any knowledge, pics, or links that may aid me with my question would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Bay shaving questions!

I can't really answer what holes you need. Basicly, look at the bay, if isn't being used fill it.

When we shaved my friends bay, we took everything he didn't want out. Once that was done we put the bolt back in the hole of what he wanted to keep. This came in handy from keeping us from filling the hole...

Are you tucking the brake lines/clutch lines? A S2K clutch master cylinder comes in handy doing this.

I hate the floating look, just looks goofy to me. But to each his own and good luck. I'll see If I can dig up some pics from my freinds 95 and other friends RHD fully tucked 97 4 door. No promises, as I am pretty sure they are lost.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:54 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

1,600+ pages and counting.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-acura-28/shaved-tucked-customized-engine-bays-pics-theory-discussion-1693934/
Old 04-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just recently did a shave and wire tuck for my car. Im in the last stage of pluggin everything back in.

I cant tell you what to keep, because that is up to you and what you are planning to run, no one can really answer that question but yourself.

With that said, heres my tip. Take a look at what you are planning to keep, and take out the part, then put back in the bolt to indicate to yourself not to shave it. Ive shaved a few holes by accident on the first tuck for my friend, but this time on mine I put the bolts back on the hole and I was fine.

Other tips....
-If you are not welding the holes and using only bondo, use the fiberglass one or Evercoat Metal Glaze. Also make sure the bondo is very thin, the thicker it is the more likely to crack.

Originally Posted by -NA-aLL-thE-wAy-

The Paint/Body special issue of Hot Rod Magazine said as long as it's 1/4 of an inch or less, and the chemicals are mixed correctly, you won't have an issue with cracking. Naturally you want it much thinner than 1/4".

Hope this helps.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
That would be a Fail on my part for not researching as much as i should have, i typically do but i was being lazy last night and figured i needed to get my post count up anyways to post in the classifieds but it does help me out a lot so thank you!

and thanks guys for your advice!