Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Battery relocation question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery relocation question.

Hello to everyone, I am brand new to this forum. I have a question about batteries, that I would appreciate anyone's help on. It is a two part question:

1. I have a 2000 Civc (EX sedan with a 5-speed). In the interest of saving weight I am looking at sealed, dry cell batteries. I am looking at two different batteries, and I was hoping you could tell me what the pros and cons of each one are. The first is an Optima (the 51R). It's specs are 500 cold-cranking amps at 0 degrees F; 625 cold-cranking amps at 32 degrees F; Reserve capacity is 70; weight is 26 lbs. The second battery is an Odyssey (PC680MJT). It's specs are 210 cold-cranking amps at 0 degrees F; 270 cold-cranking amps at 32 degrees F; Reserve capacity is 24; weight is 15 lbs. Obviously I would prefer
the lighter weight of the Odyssey. However, I am concerned about the significantly less cranking amps and reserve capacity. To be perfectly
honest I don't know what those numbers mean exactly, but I think I get the idea that the Odyssey is not as powerful. Part of the issue is that my girlfriend drives the car often and I wouldn't want my lightweight battery to leave her stranded because of its lessened capacity.

2. The second part to my question is a little simpler (I think). I am very interested in placing whichever battery I buy in the trunk.
However, I was wondering what exactly would be required (in terms of extra-long cables, etc.) in order to place it there. Is there a resource or company that you know of that could meet my needs with the battery relocation components?

It is probably relevant, so the car is in the Northwest (Washington state), and so it definitely has to deal with cold weather during the winter months. If you could help me with any information/advice or even a referral to somone else who could help, I would really appreciate it. Thanks very much for your time.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Battery relocation question. (Samkuzma)

since (i'm assuming) this car is a daily driver i would not go with anything less than 500 cold cranking amps and since your girlfriend is driving it, i think the 11 less pounds that you would be saving with the odyssey battery would not at all be worth it. you wouldn't even notice it. my friend relocated his battery on his '91 civic and all he used is 4 gauge stereo power wire and a plastic battery box bolted down in the trunk