Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Battery relocation

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery relocation

Has anyone done this?? I am looking to free up a little room under the hood, and get a better weight distribution by moving the battery rearward, probably to the trunk. I am contemplating cutting the trunk floor by the window (ie as close to the front of the trunk as possible) to accomodate the battery so it fits as flush as possible to the floor.

Anyone have any suggestions - also info on what battery boxes are "legal" for auto-x, etc would greatly help.

TIA!

Steve
Old 01-07-2002, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Battery relocation (stevecockrill)

Hey, a local! ;-)

I don't get down to many A&M events, but I hope to do some this year.

As for battery relocation, I assume you're running SP or SM, so the battery thing would fit under SP rules (for now). The only requirement listed in SP rules is that the battery be located "not in the passenger compartment", which is also defined as "behind the rearmost seats". No mention is made of a specific battery box requirement.

Cutting a hole in the trunk now, that's a different story. I may not be understanding what you meant, but as far as I can tell that would be clearly illegal for SP, and probably for SM too. Although, it may fit under the "no weenies" rule for SM.

Maybe you already thought of this, but since you're going to the trouble you may want to size your project to accomadate a small riding lawnmower battery. They're a LOT lighter, but they still provide the cranking amps to run our cars.
Old 01-07-2002, 07:38 AM

Default Re: Battery relocation (fsp31)

Well I have yet to compete in any real events, though I have been in some practice ones at A&M.....this is my daily driver, and I think that the mods I have will put me in the pro class (can't recall the name)....check link in my sig for mods. Basically the engine swap is going to screw me over anyway, so as far as abiding by class rules, I'd be running with the race prep folks anyway (I think).

I forgot to note that I have a del Sol, so the window statement makes more sense now!

What I meant with the cutting a hole in the trunk is to put the battery kind of under the floorpan in the trunk, in a sealed box so that it doesn't take up any more space than necessary (this is my daily driver, remember). I doubt that a little battery will work for me with my regular use. I may go with a smaller sized gel unit, but funds don't allow that at the moment. I was really interested in just relocation at this point, so that I can mount my catch can and remote oil filter

I'd be interested to meet up if you are ever in town!

Steve
Old 01-07-2002, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I answered your question on ClubSi.com

Since you have a motor swap you would be in BMod or Street Mod (SM).

So you can basically do anything in those classes. For SM you have to be registered for the street.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

>>Basically the engine swap is going to screw me over anyway<<

Nah! It's just a one-way ticket to Street Mod. See it as an *opportunity*.

I just got back from your website. What a grocery list! What spring rates are you running?

So by cutting a hole in the trunk, would you be cutting through the unibody? I'm not familiar with Del Sol trunks. You could certainly get away with drilling holes to run the wires through the floor of the trunk, but cutting a hole large enough to fit a battery through may still present some kind of rule problem. Cool part is, you probably won't have to worry about it either way for a few years. Even at the national championships only the guys in trophy contention had to be that concerned with the rules, especially in a class like SM.

That was by no means any kind of slam! It's just that the people on a national level are SO fast. You just have to see it to believe it. If you've seen McClure or Strelnieks then maybe you've already seen it... It takes years to get those "mad skilz". ;-) I would mark the SCCA National Tour in Houston on your calendar. There are a few basic requirements, such as SCCA membership, in order to qualify, but I guarantee it will be one of the best (and most information packed) weekends you ever had. It's also a "glimpse" at the level this sport ultimately achieves. A national tour is nothing like the championships, but it's definitely a bit of a shock.

The origins of SM are (mostly) based on the import craze and our penchant for motor swaps, with a focus on highly modified street driven cars. Since you're in a Del Sol (2 seater), you'll be in a new class called SM2. IMO the Del Sol will ultimately be specifically classed in SM because it shares the Civic chassis, and even weighs a little more than the hatch if I recall. (am i recalling right?)

What I'm trying to say is you've got an excellent foundation for a regionally competitive autocross car without stripping the interior (illegal), exchanging glass for lexan (also illegal), or compromising the car as a daily driver in some way. Looks like you've already learned to live with a rough ride for instance ;-). In fact, you're pretty much there. All you need now are some 13 x 9 inch wheels and sticky race tires, but I'd wait awhile on those. It's cheaper to pick up some of those "skilz" on street tires...

I drive a '98 DX hatch in FSP (obviously). It's also my daily driver. My car is about 85% prepped to the limit for the class, but I haven't swapped bushings yet. And I ain't giving up my AC. No how , no way. Within the next year or two, I plan to make the jump over to SM because it's about impossible to get this 6G "pig" to be competitive under FSP rules. Plus, SM is just more fun. There's nothing like beating the crap out of an F-body...

I'll look at the A&M schedule and see when the next event is. Are you planning on any events in the DFW or Houston area?
Old 01-08-2002, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Battery relocation (fsp31)

fsp31 - spring rates according to Progress group are 350 f, 250 r. I must say I was surprised at how low those seem considering how stiff the ride is. I just called Progress up to verify the numbers. I bought the kit to avoid issues of mix and match with non-matched products. Any comments on those numbers? I love the cornering and almost neutral balance I have now.......

I have a rattle back there somewhere and I do know that the lower control arm bar *may* be hitting the ITR sway...I have longer standoffs to use, but its getting the time to instal them. I have new rims coming this week (Rota Subzero 16's, about 20lbs per wheel & tire LIGHTER than the OZ's!!) and I'll recheck, retighten and relube the world back there. Its only a problem on crap bumpy roads (campus roads at A&M).

Anyway, yes, the Sol is about 2500 lbs or so w/o driver. I saved some weight with the manual steering rack, but the B series motor is way heavier than the D. Its my daily driver, and always will be, so I plan to use the car for speed but streetable and legal, with some comfort So no stripping the interior. In fact I plan to add sound deadening/vibration material soon.

The battery issue may be best resolved by relocating to just in front of the passenger rear wheel in the trunk. Since I have essentially rear firewall separating the trunk from the cockpit, do I have to worry about battery isolation?

The ride is a little harsh over bumpy roads, but just fine elsewhere. In fact we did a 3000 mile trip last year (May) from College Station to St. Louis and up to Kirksville MO. Not too bad at all - road noise was the worst (and shitty Oklahoma roads!), hence the sound deadening need.

Long term I plan on a JRSC set up, hopefully intercooled. I already have the Hondata and love it. For me, the car has to run as smooth as stock (engine wise) but with a level of street performance that brings a smile to my face! I don't care for dragging, and would only run on street tires anyway (I guess I am firmly planted in "real world" performance, not stripped out, slick running, etc). Would the JRSC pose issues for possible auto-x and perhaps road race?

Of course, on my list of upgrades are a few sessions at a good driving school once I get bills paid down.

Oh, and no altezzas for me, ever!!

Oh, and if I can ever find someone with an arbor press, I'll eventually install the rest of the ES bushing kit.

If I have time I would like to head to Houston or Dallas. I have some consulting to do at a new company that's licensing my technology in the Woodlands, so I'll be working in that area of Houston more frequently.

Steve
Old 01-08-2002, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My rates are 300f/400r. 350f is a pretty high spring rate. The "requisite" performance rates for our car are in the neighborhood of 400f/600r, but this is *not* a street worthy setup. In your case, you may be able to bump up the rear rates quite a bit without a noticeable decrease in ride quality. I've got GC adjustable perches with Eibach race springs, which come in pairs at whatever rate you specify. A pair of the "ERS's" isn't very much. Like $80. I dunno if they would fit Progress perches though. I tried to stay close to that magic 2f/3r ratio with just a little compromise out back. Ride quality isn't that much different from my old Eibach Prokits thou, unless the road is bad. Then you better hang onto something...

All suspension rattles are completely drowned out by the accursed hatchback rattle. If I could fix that, I'd die happy. Can't help you with that ITR rear bar. I went with the set from Suspension Techniques. Been real happy with them so far. Under the Street Prepared rules, I really didn't have an alternative since I'm not allowed to swap control arms, and the DX control arms have no mounting points for sway bars. (frigging honda bean counters...)

I like the Rota wheels. Definitely light weight, and the quality seems good too. What kind of tires are you going to put on?

As for the JRSC, in terms of SCCA rules it won't make a bit of difference. The Street Mod class is pretty much wide open in terms of forced induction. No nitrous though. (kaboom...) Eventually, FI on most small engine cars will probably be a "do or die" thing. But ya better get a LSD to put all that power down with or you're gonna have 'one' seriously pissed off front tire. Or maybe you already have a LSD...

The first event in the Dallas area that I know of is on February 17th. I'll definitely be there, or wherever the next event is. I'm sick of the off-season! Looking forward to running at the Annex again. That place is so *huge*, it could have real potential if it were cleaned up some.

Altezzas are the anti-christ...
Old 01-09-2002, 03:38 AM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Best place for battery is behind passenger seat mounted to the floor. This will help even out the cross weights with little tuning.