Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Battery/ Power issues....

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery/ Power issues....

Alright so I bought a turbo d16 civic 2 days ago...

The fuel pump is on a separate switch and is wired to an upgraded (14.4 volts) alternator. The car dims its interior and headlights pretty badly at idle and also will occasionally drop to 500 rpms and turn on the battery light (should idle around 850ish)...

I'm looking for answers on how to get this thing to be not-dim at idle and not worry about it stalling all the time. Does anyone know what might've went wrong (if anything) and how to change this to stop it from happening.

Thanks
Old 02-15-2005, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Battery/ Power issues.... (Seven18T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Seven18T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> idle and also will occasionally drop to 500 rpms and turn on the battery light (should idle around 850ish)...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like an AICV problem.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Seven18T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'm looking for answers on how to get this thing to be not-dim at idle and not worry about it stalling all the time. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Even after you fix the idle, you'll still probably have the dimming problem, happens to all hondas. If you upgrade your engine bay ground wires, it should take care of it.

Old 02-15-2005, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What do you mean by 'upgraded' alternator?

Is there a underdrive pulley hanging off it?

If the engine is using underdrive pulleys, this is your problem.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Seven18T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alright so I bought a turbo d16 civic 2 days ago...

The fuel pump is on a separate switch and is wired to an upgraded (14.4 volts) alternator. The car dims its interior and headlights pretty badly at idle and also will occasionally drop to 500 rpms and turn on the battery light (should idle around 850ish)...

I'm looking for answers on how to get this thing to be not-dim at idle and not worry about it stalling all the time. Does anyone know what might've went wrong (if anything) and how to change this to stop it from happening.

Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why is the fuel pump on a seperate switch? Do you mean it has a fuel kill switch?

Also last time I checked all alternators put out 14.4 - 14.6 volts. When you upgrade an alternator it is to put out more amps. IE if you are running a big system or lots of neon lights.

You idle could be your IACV or maybe it is the tune.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Battery/ Power issues.... (underpressure02)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by underpressure02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why is the fuel pump on a seperate switch? Do you mean it has a fuel kill switch?

Also last time I checked all alternators put out 14.4 - 14.6 volts. When you upgrade an alternator it is to put out more amps. IE if you are running a big system or lots of neon lights.

You idle could be your IACV or maybe it is the tune. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Has a kill switch ... no neons or system ... just a cd player and upgraded speakers in the stock locations....

tune seems fine ... hasnt been messed with since Jeff Evans did it.

IACV perhaps .... no underdrive pullies either.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the kill switch should not affect anything if it was wired in correctly.

I have 5 fuel kill switches installed in my g/f's car that all need to be in the correct position before the car will start. No idle issues there or lights dimming.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Seven18T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Has a kill switch ... no neons or system ... just a cd player and upgraded speakers in the stock locations....

tune seems fine ... hasnt been messed with since Jeff Evans did it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then you're just looking at a common idle problem in combination with crappy honda ground straps.

Old 02-15-2005, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Battery/ Power issues.... (EX_AutoXer)

ok ... well I'll try a grounding kit (DIY prolly) ... I just feel like the power the pump is drawing is whats killing the idle ... I dunno.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Seven18T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok ... well I'll try a grounding kit (DIY prolly) ... I just feel like the power the pump is drawing is whats killing the idle ... I dunno.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, when your idle drops, it's causing the alternator to slow and not deliver sufficient power. You will still need to find the cause of the idle issue (and I'd be willling to bet it's the IACV) for the ground kit to do anything.

Even with the ground kit, you will still have an idle problem, and your lights will still dim. You have two seperate issues causing your problem, and you need to fix them both, or at least take care of the idle to make the dimming problem less of an issue.

Old 02-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Battery/ Power issues.... (EX_AutoXer)

IACV = ? Idle something Control Valve? idk ...

Where is it... I'll mess with it with Ryan and then do the grounding kit.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Idle air control valve. It keeps your idle ~800 or so while not on the gas.