Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Battery Light Coming On

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Light Coming On

Ok here's the story, about two days ago I was driving on the highway and my battery light came on everytime like i went on a bump or something. So then a day after that I was driving and the battery light just stayed lit, so I was like what ever, it's probably my alternator going bad. So then later that day, I parked at a mall then my car wouldn't start up. So i thought for sure my alternator went out on me. I had a really power hungry amp in my car too so i thought i've fried it, however I took the amp out a week prior to this incident and nothing was wrong with my batter. Okay so back to the story, I looked under the hood and saw that my negative battery terminal wire was loose so I thought that was the problem. I tigtened it and got a boost from a friend. My battery was fully drained so I let it charge from my friends car. So then there after there was no battery light blinking. So then Today...when i was coming home...it went back on again and started blinking. I also put the heater on at blast while driving home. So heres my guess...that the battery didn't have enough time to charge from being drained yesterday and that the heater just killed the remaining life out of it...Because it didn't go on when I was going to my destination. Any thoughts or ideas or answers?
Old 10-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Battery Light Coming On (Civic_07)

try replacing the battery
Old 10-12-2008, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My battery is fairly new, I got it december of 2007
Old 10-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Civic_07)

normally when it gets so low that it wont crank its done.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TayTeg91)

I would just replace the battery, the price would be pro-rated since it's fairly new. My battery was two years old and it only cost me 26 bucks.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also depending on where u got it and what kind it is, u might still have a warrenty on it. go check if u do and they should just swap them right out
Old 10-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My car crank and runs though. It was just that day it got drained and wouldn't start so I had it boosted. Put the terminals on tight and let it sit for a bit and it was okay.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm yeah I should check if I have a warranty on it. However I don't have any receipts because the dealer which I bought the car from replaced it for me.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:31 PM

hey dude that same thing just happened to me 2 weeks ago my battery light would go on and off while drivin, I gave no attention to it until like 3 days after it dint want to start no more I had to push start it to get home. anyway i also tought it was my battery, but then I ended up pulling the alternator and took it to autozone were the tested it, turned out it was garbage, got one of my friends ls and put it on. Push started my car one more time and its now running like champ
So I would pull the alternator and have it checked.
Cruz
Old 10-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (el[racial pejorative]hatch)

I would also advise you to get your starter checked. I had a brand new battery, my alternator took a **** got it rebuilt and then my starter died.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in my civic, i can start the car and remove the battery. startup is the only time the battery is used.

turning on your heater has nothing to do with your battery.

if your car dies while driving its your alternator, if it wont start then its your battery.

check your wiring make sure nothings loose.

and most parts stores will check your battery/ alt for free.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um. . I've heard that removing the battery with the engine running can short circuit your ECU or some other wacky things like that, because you're breaking a circuit. I dunno. But it does tell you if your ALT is working or not.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats wierd because my car was running fine yesterday...it just started blinking that night. Anywho, imma go get my alternator checked. I think i need to run a high voltage alt in my car now on.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (instrument)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instrument &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in my civic, i can start the car and remove the battery. startup is the only time the battery is used.

turning on your heater has nothing to do with your battery.

if your car dies while driving its your alternator, if it wont start then its your battery.

check your wiring make sure nothings loose.

and most parts stores will check your battery/ alt for free.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is incorrect the battery is part of the circuit the cars altinator can't produce enough power on its own to run all the systems of the car. In some older cars they had a magneto system that was capable of running the car with out a battery. If i remember there wher even some tha ran a generator insted o the altinator
Old 10-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay so car just died on me this afternoon, mechanic is replacing my alternator tmw morning!
Old 10-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do u guys think there could be some sort of loose wire?...because the battery light only comes on whenever I go over bumps and such?
Old 10-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check the alternator where the thick wire (power out to fusebox) connects to it, the 10MM bolt should be tight, and check the two thick wires going to your underhood fusebox (one goes to the battery and the other goes to the alternator) any of these being loose could cause this problem potentially. Otherwise, I'd say your regulator in the alternator is going bad or the stator. Get another alternator.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IndySporty)

i think that your alternator actually charges the battery while the car is running.

like after your car died and it started back up after the jump it should have been fine if your alt charged it right. i would say its your alt.

also your car will run on just the battery for a lil while. but eventually everything will shut down and then the car will stop running.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the fact that your battery terminals where loose, is one of the main reasons why your battery is going on you, you must always make sure everything is tightened properly, dont wait a few days latter until it gets worst, thats why the car lets you know ahead of time. what i would do is something similiar to what one of these guys said, get the car jump started, then drive it for a long time, for about a hour or so, not sure how long but that should do it. it should give enough time to charge the alternator to charge up. afterwards, leave the car on, and remove one of the terminals, if the car shuts off, its your alternator, and you gotta get that changed, and probably the battery as well, becuase if you have a bad alternator, it will eat away at the batterys power source. and if you have an amp, check the wiring, make sure its wired correctly and functioning. the heater wont do much. other than that, these other guys have good points, give it all a shot.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TY all, the mechanic is going to take a look at it tmw morning anyways and tell me what the problem is. I took the fuse out for the amp...so there is no power going to the amp wires. Also I let my friend charge my battery for a good 20 min yesterday and where ever I drove I ripped it so my alternator could charge my battery.