Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

battery light...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 05:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default battery light...

so the other day my battery died. i had it jumped and drove it till i realized it was going to die again. so i brought it over to advanced auto... they charged the battery then tested it and said it was good, so i had them check the alt and it was bad.

i had the alternater redone over at this shop down the way and got it all installed... everything seems to be working fine. till this morning when i go to start the car it starts up fine but after a minute the battery light comes on... i drove it for a lil bit and right after it warmed up the light went off. anyone have any ideas as to whats going on?
Old 11-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tough call. maybe a loose connection or your bolt holding your alt on could be loose. that would cause your batt not to charge because the circuit isnt gounded
Old 11-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the grounds. Once upon a time there was a guy who had to splash water in his engine bay to start the car: it was loose grounds, the water completed the circuit.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:16 PM

Default Re: (SOHC_4dr)

okay had it tested again today... once again advanced said the battery is good.

idk if its not charging that kind of don't make sense because the light comes on when i first start the car, then goes away after sitting for 5-10 min or if its closer to being warm like 2-5 min. so it seems to be charging just not holding a charge when its cold? idk maybe i have a bad wire some where ...
Old 11-10-2008, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly, the only way to really test the alternator is to take it off and put it on the machine inside the building. But to me this sounds like a cable problem, because is they have both tested good, your battery wouldn't have died in the first place. So your options are, your battery is bad, and is not accepting the charge, the alternator is not putting out, or your cables are bad.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the wire that goes behind the motor and attatches to the manifold bracket. There was a recall a long time ago, because it would get pinched or frayed and would short. Could it be the internal regulator in the alternator maybe?
Old 11-11-2008, 04:03 AM

Default Re: (Hollowheart)

Originally Posted by Hollowheart
Honestly, the only way to really test the alternator is to take it off and put it on the machine inside the building. But to me this sounds like a cable problem, because is they have both tested good, your battery wouldn't have died in the first place. So your options are, your battery is bad, and is not accepting the charge, the alternator is not putting out, or your cables are bad.

how do you check the cables? sorry im still such a newb to electrical stuff... i had the battery tested again and it came back good, i wish there was a way to test it after its sat in the cold over night. that seems to be the only time it want's to have an issue
Old 11-11-2008, 06:52 AM

Default Re: (dividedas1)

bump
Old 11-11-2008, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

stop testing your batt. that isnt the issue. i would take it to a shop and have them check the wires for you. since your a noob i dont know if you can use a DMM. can you? if not take it somewhere
Old 11-11-2008, 07:14 AM

take your battery out have them charge it fully, thats one of your first mistakes and take the alternator out and have them check that too thats your second mistake. taking it to a shop is your third mistake... check belt tension.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:31 AM

ha im not that much of a noob i just have never really dealt too much with testing electrical components.. really honestly i just figured since it only happens when its super cold its just a cold crank issue with the battery and thats why i had it tested.

a DMM? you mean a multimeter? ya i kinda know how to use them... so i could just check the wires with a multimeter?

Originally Posted by EkFG
take your battery out have them charge it fully, thats one of your first mistakes and take the alternator out and have them check that too thats your second mistake. taking it to a shop is your third mistake... check belt tension.
alternator was rebuilt by a reputable shop... should be in fine working order now. when he rebuilt it he tested it and said it was def NFG. belt tension is fine not quite that much of a noob thank you and the battery was fully charged when it was tested the first time. all the other times i drove around a bunch before i brought it in so it was fully charged... i think.

also when i mean shop, i brought it to advanced or autozone to test the battery... definatly not going to pay a shop 200+ to do an alternator when it could be rebuilt for 90$ and give my buddy 40 for an hour of his time. ya know.