Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

battery and gas milage

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery and gas milage

so i jus got my oil changed and they said that my battery needed to be replaced they said it was putting out 405 cold cranking amps (cca) and it should be at like 550. Could this cause poor gas mileage? i didnt replace it b/c i didnt have the cash but are interstate batteries good or would i be better off getting something else.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Never heard of a battery causing bad gas mileage. Most likely it is something else.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: battery and gas milage (SpeedoKing)

it will not cause u bad gas mileage.. a tune up..air filter and fuel filter can improve your gas mileage..
Old 10-29-2007, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: battery and gas milage (crazyguy)

The injectors will run extremely rich when battery voltage drops below 10 volts or so, but you would notice. And it would be a charging problem, not necessarily a battery problem.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spray_bombed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spray_bombed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No...

that is a dumbass question </TD></TR></TABLE>

How is that a dumb question? Seems like a good question to ask if you are unsure.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:36 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpeedoKing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so i jus got my oil changed and they said that my battery needed to be replaced they said it was putting out 405 cold cranking amps (cca) and it should be at like 550. Could this cause poor gas mileage? i didnt replace it b/c i didnt have the cash but are interstate batteries good or would i be better off getting something else.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I thought this was kind of interesting.

Okay, I know that at least some aftermarket battery catalogs (such as the Duralast catalog) list the stock CCA as being 550. This is what I found in the Honda service manual for the 6th gen Civic though.

In order to test a battery you need to input the CCA of the battery. Sometimes batteries don't list the CCA though. So Honda included this in their service

Whmanual.

If you're worried about it, go to Autozone or another local auto parts store that does free battery tests. You can also ask for a charging system test. You don't even have to remove your battery.

Plus, while you're at it you can get your codes checked since you say you're getting bad gas mileage.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: battery and gas milage (NOFX)

if you have a volt meter check it yourself. car off you solud get 12.3+V and engine running you should have 14.1+V
Old 10-29-2007, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont think that the ppl who checked my voltage were right b/c accorting to that pic my cca should be 405 and that was what it was at...but if i run a 550cca battery would that harm anything?
Old 10-29-2007, 03:53 PM

go to a sears auto center....we test em for free...or find a volt meter or a vat
Old 10-29-2007, 04:34 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpeedoKing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont think that the ppl who checked my voltage were right b/c accorting to that pic my cca should be 405 and that was what it was at...but if i run a 550cca battery would that harm anything?</TD></TR></TABLE>
No, it won't hurt anything. I have an Optima Red Top. It's 720 CCA and 910 CA. I've been running it in my stock '98 EX coupe for over two years with no trouble.

Go to any Advance Autoparts, Autozone or Sears Auto Center to get a free battery test, charging system test and get your codes read. It's all free.

Some terms you might find useful.

(AMP) Ampere
Ampere is a unit of measure for current flow through a conductor or circuit.

(CCA) Cold Cranking Amps
CCA is a rating used in the batter industry to define a battery's ability to start an engine in cold temperatures. A great amount of amperes are needed to start the engine, but only for a short amount of time.

The actual rating is the number of amps that can be removed from a new fully charged battery at 0 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 seconds while maintaining a voltage of at least 7.2 volts (for a 12 volt battery).

As a battery ages with use, it may no longer be able to meet its original CCA rating.

The higher the CCA rating, the greater the starting power of the battery.

(CA) Cranking Amps
Ca is a rating used in the battery industry to define a battery's ability to start an engine at a temperature of 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

4-Cylinder Engines
The increased popularity of 4-cylinder engines has resulted in a misunderstanding of cranking ampere requirements. For cylinder vehicles need as much, if not more cranking amperes, than larger V8s.

Four cylinder engines have to be cranked at higher rpms (in some cases twice as much that of V8s) to get the same number of cylinder firing impulses per second required for self-sustaining running. This increase in cranking rpms requires more cranking power, thus a larger battery than commonly assumed.

Discharge
When a battery is delivering power, it is said to be discharging.

Load Tester
An instrument that measures battery voltage when an electrical load (discharge) is applied to the battery. Based on the load, discharge tie and the battery's voltage, the tester can determine the overall condition of the battery and its ability to perform under engine starting conditions.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys