Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Basic turbo sohc

Old 06-27-2008, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic turbo sohc

Okay i posted b4 about my girls car well she just wants to turbo it and be done with it.She's not really into performance like me,So whats all needed to turbo a d series non vtec.

I was going to get a cast mani and t3 60 trim turbo.But what do i need for fuel can i just run a fmu?was only going to run like 4psi just something for now till i get it tunned for her.

oh yeah its a 98.

are the ebay manifolds useable or they total junk im guessing the castones porlly hold up better then the "stainless" ones.

Modified by hy35f2t at 3:44 PM 6/27/2008

Modified by hy35f2t at 3:47 PM 6/27/2008
Old 06-27-2008, 02:53 PM
nub
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Basic turbo sohc (hy35f2t)

http://homemadeturbo.com
Old 06-27-2008, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Basic turbo sohc (nub)

anyone know of a good manifold?
Old 06-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

log manifold is fine for anything under 300hp. a simple track edelbrock or greddy kit would be most reliable. edelbrock kit u will need crome or something will be fine for daily driving. afc would work fine with a wideband without a dyno.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would consider going with a smaller turbo if I were you, a 60 trim is gonna spool way late on a single cam. If you want to buy a complete kit that's inexpensive search for tunerz image in the sponsor marketplace, or if she's not looking for extreme power and wants it really cheap you could always just get her an eBay kit... Or a whistle tip since it kinda sounds like she just wants a noise maker...
Old 06-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Basic turbo sohc (JDMguy88)

get her a greddy 15g kit its what i got,ebay manifolds are junk! ive seen a bunch crack on the flange for the external wastegate within 2 months of my friends having them 60 trim is way to big for a single slam with it not being built at all, just get some dsm450cc injectors and a basemapped ecu and ur set
Old 06-27-2008, 08:50 PM

are the ebay cast mani junk too?think im just going to throw a 14b on it or the stock turbo off my mx6.She just wants to be able to say its turbo.Plus it needs something towake up that slow *** sohc non vtec motor.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:01 PM

Default Re: (hy35f2t)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hy35f2t &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are the ebay cast mani junk too?think im just going to throw a 14b on it or the stock turbo off my mx6.She just wants to be able to say its turbo.Plus it needs something towake up that slow *** sohc non vtec motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

She just wants to say it's turbo?

Honestly bro, I understand you just want to do what makes her happy (which in this case is getting a turbo), however neither you or her is ready. There is a lot more to it than just "throwing" on a turbo to say you have it and that's it. You will run into problems, and you better know how to fix it (or at least have an idea where to start).

The best suggestion I would do is to Search this Forum (FI section) and the archives, there is a lot of helpful/insightful information on here. Also, check out Turbod16.com, great site that I'm very involved with. If you want, PM me and maybe we can go over some things
Old 06-28-2008, 12:07 AM

lol im into domestic 4cylinders boosted cars aint nothing new to me.Just didnt know what worth getting.Now that i think about it a t25 or 14b at 6psi is more then enough for her.Think im just going to get a cast mani one of those turbos prolly t25.Also Has anyone ran a fmu even if i only run 4psi just something.My car u can get away with running a fmu so i dont know how these cars react.

1995civic i would pm u but i cant still a noob.
my aim name is tpi350t56.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

TURBO BASIC FAQ:

Firstly, an exhaust manifold comes from an NA motor, so you'll need a turbo manifold. They come in many forms, Ram horn, top mount, log manifold, etc... Log manifold is by far the cheapest and it spools really quickly -- plus it's quite reliable if build right the first time. Here's what else you'll need for your car:

Turbocharger: Pick which size and trim turbo is gonna work best for your application and goals. A regular T3 turbo is usually good for 250WHP, a t3/t4 up to 400WHP, and a t4 400+ WHP... I'd recommend a ball-bearing garrett turbo, a nicely sized t3/t4 turbo, not too large or too small TRIM/AR size.

Downpipe: Again must be custom for your turbo/manifold choice. A flex pipe and o2 bung are nice to have while creating a downpipe -- although not necessary.

Wastegate: Choose a wastegate size (also what psi spring you'd like to run) according to application such as amount of air flow and psi from turbo.. This is if you have a turbo that's externally wastegate powered..

Intercooler: Choose either a FMIC (Front Mount InterCooler) or Side Mount Intercooler. FMIC is the only way to go really for efficient cooling..

Blow off valve: This is actually an optional (but very recommended part). Doesnt really matter which one you choose. Pick a sound you like. Some people like to use ebay or cheap BOV's, but if it fails, you can hurt your turbo -- so don't really cheap out.

Fuel Management: One of the most important parts on your turbocharged car. I would highly suggest running a programmable chipped ecu or standalone device. I'd suggest Hondata or Crome..

Fuel Pump : You will probably need an upgraded fuel pump to support the added fuel consumption. Can be either internal or external -- I recommended the Walbro 2550LPH hi pressure fuel pump kit from injected-performance.com on H-T's marketplace for sponsors

Injectors : To support added air induction, more fuel is need... hence bigger injectors. Buy size according to application.

Map Sensor: Stock maps can only read up to ~10.63 psi, if you plan to go higher upgrade to a 2bar or 3bar map sensor.

Intercooler Piping: You can buy a ic piping kit, but usally will always take some modification to fit your exact application.. I believe ebay has some kits that have flanges made for the greddy BOV's for around $150 shipped

Couplers/t-bolts: You will need silicone couplers to bind the two intercooler pipes together as well as t-bolts -- I don't recommend screw clamps for anything other than for your intake pipes for your custom Short Ram

Oil drain/feed lines: Every turbo needs oil, so you must buy an oil feed and drain line kit. Stainless Steel lines are HIGHLY recommended. Rubber lines will get hot and can/will burst.

Vacuum Manifold: Not required but recommended to help organize vacuum lines and allow for good vacuum sources. I'd use Golden Eagle's Vacuum manifold.

Gauges: although not required, it's highly recommend so you can keep some status of motor operation. boost/oil pressure highly recommended

Spark plugs: Although not required, turbo temps can get high, so i recommend you step down two steps colder in your spark plugs. Also copper too.. You need NGK BKR7E.. For SOHC it's: ZFR7E-11 spark plugs..

I have a bunch of helpful links I submitted to the Honda Civic/Del Sol (1992-2000) forum FAQ:

http://www.beesandgoats.com/bo....html
http://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_400322/tm.htm

HOW TO INSTALL THE TURBO AND EVERYTHING -- THE BEST TUTORIAL ON THE WEB: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1263795

I highly suggest reading a few!
Old 06-28-2008, 12:42 AM

funny thing is my stock injectors 330cc.Will work then cuz there low imp also.So i wont even need a resistor box.oH YEAH and injectors from a n/a rx7 in 89 are 460's and low impe also.

thanks alot for the info so far its helping alot not much diff then my car.Cept for the map sensor.Has anyone used a ebay cast iron manifold?Also would a safc be better then nothing my buddy has a new one for sale for really cheap.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

obd1 and obd2 civic d and b series injectors are saturated 240cc. running a resistor box is not recomended when using the rc 440's .which are plenty for the power ur looking for. no a ebay cast mani isnt junk just the location of the wastegate coulda been better. stock map sensor is good for 10psi before the map goes in limp mode. many like to use the AVCR but i ran a safc for 2 yrs with no problems and pulled a few degrees from the dizzy. it ran ok but it runs better on a chipped ecu.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:58 PM

So heres my list

ebay cast manifold
SMall t3turbo some in the 48/50 range
Ebay front mount
upgrade pump walbro
safc with 330cc injectors
SAFC
ebay wastegate after i port the flage on the mani a bit.

run 6psi
1step colder plugs 93octane and lower thermosta.all to prevent detontaion.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:31 PM

Again bro...don't cheap out on parts, especially if this is your girl's car. The last thing I'm sure you'd want is for her to be stranded because of some crap part that was thrown on.

From your list, you still need IC piping, DP, turbo filter, and oil lines.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stock fuel pump has went 200hp. just because its ebay dont mean it wont last but u will sacrifice some quality. just for budjet it will work just keep the car maintained and make sure ur stock pvc system is replaced and atleast the check valve is removed.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:27 PM

Only thing im not going to cheap out on is the turbo getting a new one.Im doing a headgasket to right away.jus gonna run 5psi something to get it to move a bit.Also anyone have a write up for a safc install on honda.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hy35f2t &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So heres my list

ebay cast manifold
SMall t3turbo some in the 48/50 range
Ebay front mount
upgrade pump walbro
safc with 330cc injectors
SAFC
ebay wastegate after i port the flage on the mani a bit.

run 6psi
1step colder plugs 93octane and lower thermosta.all to prevent detontaion.</TD></TR></TABLE>

make sure the turbo is brand new or oem, as for the manifold look for a new/used one.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:43 AM

Default Re: (bmoua)

where should i go to look for a manifold?
Old 06-29-2008, 01:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Instead of buy a cheap ebay manifold use a Honda HF manifold with a turbo adaptor for a t25 turbo its internally wastegated. Get a Ebay intercooler pipping and intercooler bov if you want the psttt sound get a custom down pipe made to bolt up and bov and call it a day all for under 600 if you looking for 8 pds the injectors will clank out and your gonna need a bigger fuel pump. Other than that its cheap and simple. Good Luck.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:04 AM

Default Re: Basic turbo sohc (Frost7177)

well i just got a t3 airesearch for 120 in good used condition.SO now i need a mani so far im leaning towards the cast unit jus cuz it seems more reliable i wish the tubular ebay ones would hold it looks so much better.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hy35f2t &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where should i go to look for a manifold?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i like spoolin manifolds...

http://www.spoolinperformance.....html
Old 06-29-2008, 02:45 PM

what can a d16 non vtec handle?with tunning with a t3 im guessing the weak link is the rods?
Old 06-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yup and most d series can take up to 220-230hp after that you may be looking into problems.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hy35f2t &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay i posted b4 about my girls car well she just wants to turbo it and be done with it.She's not really into performance like me,

Modified by hy35f2t at 3:44 PM 6/27/2008

Modified by hy35f2t at 3:47 PM 6/27/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

WTF?????? Funniest **** ever.

She's not into performance but she wants to turbo her ****........hahahaha.....that's the funniest **** I've ever heard. Obviously if she wants a turbo is because she wants performance. If she didn't want performance than leave it stock. Or slap on a egay intake and and a whistle tip like that one dude said so she thinks she's going fast.
Its like if I would say I don't want performance so im gonna turbo my **** or get a gsr engine.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you are just looking for 5 pounds, then you should be fine on stock internals since you will prolly be less than 200hp

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Basic turbo sohc