Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

BARing my B18C5 - Breather Chamber

Old 02-25-2005, 02:58 PM
ICU
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BARing my B18C5 - Breather Chamber

Here's my problem: I took my B18C5 Civic sedan to the local state ref to get my engine BAR certified. Everything was going well until he did the visual inspection. He was looking at his diagram of the breather chamber (EVAP canister) behind the engine and the purge control valve solenoid and noticed that mines was for the Civics. So he basically failed me just because they didn't match the picture in his diagram of a 2000 C5. He told me that I should have got that with the swap, but I don't think so.

Anyway I went home and looked at my brother's Civic Si engine, and I noticed that my breather chamber and PCV solenoid was the same as his. I figured that since the B16A2 and B18C5 are build similarly the breather chamber and PCV should work perfectly. He told me that I need to get the PCV solenoid and the breather chamber from a 00 ITR, which would be like $200 from acura. My breather chamber is only slightly different from the the ITR's in that the top part has connections facing in other directions, but have the same amount of connections.

Here's my question: Should I get the 00 ITR's breather chamber and PCV solenoid or should I just go to another state ref station and have them check it out instead?

Here's the Diagram he was looking at:

BTW They didnt even know how to drive my car They stalled it like 3 times before they could get it on the dyno.....
Old 02-25-2005, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: BARing my B18C5 - Breather Chamber (ICU)

i would do both. which ref did u go to?
Old 02-25-2005, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ICU &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here's my problem: I took my B18C5 Civic sedan to the local state ref to get my engine BAR certified. Everything was going well until he did the visual inspection. He was looking at his diagram of the breather chamber (EVAP canister) behind the engine and the purge control valve solenoid and noticed that mines was for the Civics. So he basically failed me just because they didn't match the picture in his diagram of a 2000 C5. He told me that I should have got that with the swap, but I don't think so.

Anyway I went home and looked at my brother's Civic Si engine, and I noticed that my breather chamber and PCV solenoid was the same as his. I figured that since the B16A2 and B18C5 are build similarly the breather chamber and PCV should work perfectly. He told me that I need to get the PCV solenoid and the breather chamber from a 00 ITR, which would be like $200 from acura. My breather chamber is only slightly different from the the ITR's in that the top part has connections facing in other directions, but have the same amount of connections.

Here's my question: Should I get the 00 ITR's breather chamber and PCV solenoid or should I just go to another state ref station and have them check it out instead?

Here's the Diagram he was looking at:

BTW They didnt even know how to drive my car They stalled it like 3 times before they could get it on the dyno.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Technically, he is right. While you wouldn't get that section with your swap, you are supposed to keep *ALL* the emissions parts from the donor car. In this case, yes, you SHOULD be running the piece off the ITR. So yes, he can fail you based off that alone.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow. that's lame. if the functionality is the same, they shouldn't fail u. i went to contra costa colllege and alameda college. i havea b18b1 with the stock civic cx evap purge valve and charcoal canister. they didn't even look twice at it.

btw, there is no "PCV solenoid". you must be refering to the evap purge solenoid? also the breather chamber is attached to the back of the motor. the "chamber" that you're referencing to in the diagram is the charcoal canister.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (dantastic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow. that's lame. if the functionality is the same, they shouldn't fail u. i went to contra costa colllege and alameda college. i havea b18b1 with the stock civic cx evap purge valve and charcoal canister. they didn't even look twice at it.

btw, there is no "PCV solenoid". you must be refering to the evap purge solenoid? also the breather chamber is attached to the back of the motor. the "chamber" that you're referencing to in the diagram is the charcoal canister.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its going to depend mostly on the ref in this case. I never had a problem with my charcoal canister either, but thats just the ref. They didn't care. In this case, the guy is being very complete on his inspection.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:58 PM
ICU
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BARing my B18C5 - Breather Chamber (93blkej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93blkej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would do both. which ref did u go to?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I went to Sequoia Institute in Fremont.

Yes I was referring to the charcol canister and the EVAP purge control solenoid valve, thanks for the clarification. Thats pretty stupid to just fail me on those parts. They all function correctly and my smog numbers were pretty low...

So should I take my chances and bring it to another state ref or should I just spend the $200 for those two parts?
Old 02-27-2005, 03:54 PM
ICU
Honda-Tech Member

All right, after reading some other posts, I've just decided to make an appointment with Contra Costa College. I heard that they are pretty lenient, so im going to take my chances with them. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

BTW here is a pic of my engine to hold everyone over:

Old 02-27-2005, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

California emissions bs

In MT, they dont even care what we're driving as long as we pay for the plates. JDM engines arent a prob, cat-free exhausts only get hassled for being loud. Etc Etc.

Anyways, good luck to you.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:14 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Default Re: (Hybrid93Eg)

The PCV solenoid you have on there is from the donor car. He is talking about the PCV valve which is located on the intake manifold between the 2 center intake ports. This could probably be passed off. BTW I think the guy was just being an *******. They are both funtionally, 100% the same. Try somewhere else. If you can't pass at like 3-4 places then buy the part. **** CA emissions, I don't know though, I live in Chicago, what-up southside!!!
Old 02-27-2005, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: BARing my B18C5 - Breather Chamber (TScribeSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TScribeSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">California emissions bs

In MT, they dont even care what we're driving as long as we pay for the plates. JDM engines arent a prob, cat-free exhausts only get hassled for being loud. Etc Etc.

Anyways, good luck to you. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The Florida chilren say the same; going on 4 years since emissions vanished in Miami-Dade and the State
Old 02-28-2005, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BARing my B18C5 - Breather Chamber (dr_latino999)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dr_latino999 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The Florida chilren say the same; going on 4 years since emissions vanished in Miami-Dade and the State </TD></TR></TABLE>

word. Street Legal JDM=
Old 02-28-2005, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: BARing my B18C5 - Breather Chamber (dr_latino999)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dr_latino999 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The Florida chilren say the same; going on 4 years since emissions vanished in Miami-Dade and the State </TD></TR></TABLE>

also means no emissions checks...&gt;&gt; which record miles on car. no way to check miles on car
Old 02-28-2005, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its going to depend mostly on the ref in this case. I never had a problem with my charcoal canister either, but thats just the ref. They didn't care. In this case, the guy is being very complete on his inspection. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ICU &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's funny b/c he has th EK air cleaner assembly on. technically, you shouldn't be able to pass with that b/c you would need an integra air cleaner assembly. however, i've never heard of anyone failing a ref inspection with any stock-looking intake. i had an AEM for my motor so it was fine...
Old 02-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: BARing my B18C5 - Breather Chamber (cxSHOE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also means no emissions checks...&gt;&gt; which record miles on car. no way to check miles on car </TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe it counts if you are buying from the shady car lot out behind the BK
Old 02-28-2005, 01:24 PM
ICU
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dantastic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
that's funny b/c he has th EK air cleaner assembly on. technically, you shouldn't be able to pass with that b/c you would need an integra air cleaner assembly. however, i've never heard of anyone failing a ref inspection with any stock-looking intake. i had an AEM for my motor so it was fine...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I have an EK9 airbox.

I already made an appointment at Contra Costa College for Friday the 4th. So I'll let everyone know how it goes, from what I heard they are pretty lenient on that stuff.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:28 PM

wow cali is gay . In nj they dont even pop the hood in inspection
Old 02-28-2005, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

also means no emissions checks...&gt;&gt; which record miles on car. no way to check miles on car </TD></TR></TABLE>

actually you have to record the miles on the car when you sell it. So there is still away to record the miles to some extent.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: BARing my B18C5 - Breather Chamber (Vero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

actually you have to record the miles on the car when you sell it. So there is still away to record the miles to some extent.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea maybe some states.. i know michigan doesnt.

i had a hard time convincing the dmv here in socal what the miles were. since michigan keeps no emissions records and when a car is sold you can just put "exempt" in the "how many miles" section of the pink slip. i was scratching my head the whole time at the detroit dmv. and the car fax showed no history of miles either before i bought it.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

actually you have to record the miles on the car when you sell it. So there is still away to record the miles to some extent.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, in montana its tied into the title. And i bought my honda from honda...so im good.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:00 PM
ICU
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BARing my B18C5 - Breather Chamber (TScribeSi)

YEAH! I got my BAR STICKER!! Pics will be up soon! Thank you Contra Costa College!
Old 03-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Congrats! Makes me want to go out and try my luck
Old 03-04-2005, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow congratulations. i can't wait to join the BAR'd club also