Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ball joint help

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball joint help

Hey guys, today I was taking my front drivers side suspension out so I can put in new bump stops and when I was assembling the suspension and about to bolt up the upper ball joint, the bolt wouldn't screw in past half.

I tried to tighten up the bolt but no luck, it will just get to a certain point and even with air tools, the bolt will just seem like it will fall off the screw or will just spin.
I was wondering what should I do???? I can't get the bolt screwed in to firmly hold the suspension.

What I've done is screwed in a different bolt, just to keep everything in place so that the car will be able to sit on the ground.

Does anybody know what I should do??
I have called some parts stores and they said they don't sell the upper ball joint and they don't have the upper control arm.

I was thinking of either go to the auto wreckers and buy a whole new control arm, or if possible, buy the Ball joint stud.

plz help, I need some major advice

thanks
bartek

::Let me know if this doesn't make sense, I'm really tired now
Old 10-29-2003, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the same problem .my friend tells me i can take the ball joint from my other civic so i dont see why you cant go buy a new one and the reason you cant tightin the screw is because the ball joint is striped from the inside
Old 10-29-2003, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ball joint help (Bartek_B)

Those balljoints are the devil. I HATE THEM. They are the only thing I dread messing with on my car because of the spinning thing. I have a solution to the spining balljoint, but it should only be used once and only once after you never need to take the knuckles or tie-rods off again. If you take it apart afterwards, it will probably damage the threads more and never go back together. You will have to replace the balljoint. I'm in this situation right now as a matter of fact.

Now, you will need a Dremil with a cutoff disk, a flat screwdriver, and a box end wrench. Simply take the Dremil and cut a notch into the bottom of the balljoint that the screwdriver will fit into. Careful not to cut out the cotterpin passage. Put the castle nut on and screw until it spins. Put the box end wrench on and stick the screwdriver into the slot. The screwdriver will keep it from spinning and allow you to tighten the nut. Torque to spec and put a pin in.

Old 10-29-2003, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Ball joint help (D50boy)

go to the honda/acura dealership and get anew one they are like $35 bucks...you should replace these anyways they go bad after time...it's like $20 bucks at a front end allignment shop to have them pressed in....
Old 10-30-2003, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ball joint help (All MTR TODA HATCH)

I just use a pair of needle-nose pliers to hold the shaft while I tighten them down.
Old 11-01-2003, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ball joint help (mugen85r)

im confused, are you replacing your upper ball joint? what control arms/camber kit do you have?
Old 11-03-2003, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Ball joint help (SexySI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SexySI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im confused, are you replacing your upper ball joint? what control arms/camber kit do you have?</TD></TR></TABLE>

well I don't have a camber kit.

when I was unscrewing the ball joint bolt, I somehow destroyed the thread so that the bolt wouldn't go back on.

So what I done is went to a close auto wreckers and bought a new whole upper control arm, installed it and the car is working fine.

thanks for all the responses