Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ball joint bolt (plz clarify)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ball joint bolt (plz clarify)

okay so when my mechanic was changing my clutch everything went well but he told me the wrong bolt was int he lower ball joint. he said something about a pin not going in. he doesnt speak good english so i could be wrong. well i ended up calling the dealer and they said that it wasnt possible to get the ball joint bolt seperate from the ball joint. i dont wanna have to pay for the whole thing. plz clarify for me
Old 03-18-2005, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: I put on my robe and wizard hat, NY...err Bay Area--->Texas
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: ball joint bolt (neopheus)

Ok, Im gonna chalk it up to the fact that you said he doesn't speak good English. What he's reffering to is the NUT that goes on the balljoint, the info you got from honda is correct, you can't separate the stud from the balljoint, the only part that comes off is the castellated nut that goes on it.

Once you install the nut, you need to put a cotter pin through it. THIS IS CRITICAL! that little cotter pin will prevent the nut from spinning itself off the stud due to vibration and/or movement of the suspension. The only thing tying the majority of your suspension on that side of the car is that nut, if it comes off, god help you, especially if you're at highway speed. Get that **** checked out ASAP and cotter pin that bitch. While you're at it, check the other side.

GL to you

EDIT: I just thought of something else, maybe hes just not installing the nut correctly, you're supposed to torque that nut to within a certain range (which I don't know off the top of my head right now) until the hole in the ball joint stud and one of the spaces in the nut line up; and then you can install the cotter pin. You're not supposed to just turn it on the stud until it doesn't go anymore.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: I put on my robe and wizard hat, NY...err Bay Area--->Texas
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: ball joint bolt (neopheus)

http://www.hondaautomotivepart...UCKLE

Your part is # 16
Old 03-18-2005, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ball joint bolt (HalfAnP)

Absolutly correct sir. I thinking the exact same thing when I read the post. If in fact it is the wrong nut, go to the dealer and get new ones. Like HalfAnP said, check the other side as well, and check the upper ball joints while you're at it. The cotter pin is a critical safeguard. I saw the aftermath of a balljoint becoming seperated on a Caravan at city speeds when I worked at the garage, and it was pretty bad. Luckily, nobody was hurt.