Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bad vibration while car is in gear...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad vibration while car is in gear...

Search is down...

Car only shakes when the car is in drive. I notice on my way home yesterday after going through the gears a bit yesterday. The car is a 99 Si with a ITR motor. I checked the mounts and the axles seem fine and I checked the lug nuts and all the basics... any other ideas? I don't know what else would move only in drive and not in neutrul while crusing at whatever speed. A friend of mine said maybe pressure plate but wouldn't I hear or feel that if I rev the motor at a stand still? TIA
Old 07-31-2007, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Bad vibration while car is in gear... (FBP_EM1R)

So it only does it while you're rolling? What about when you put the car in gear and your not going anywhere?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bad vibration while car is in gear... (R Benefits)

have not tried that, going to when i get off work in 2 hours
Old 07-31-2007, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FBP_EM1R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Search is down...

Car only shakes when the car is in drive. I notice on my way home yesterday after going through the gears a bit yesterday. The car is a 99 Si with a ITR motor. I checked the mounts and the axles seem fine and I checked the lug nuts and all the basics... any other ideas? I don't know what else would move only in drive and not in neutrul while crusing at whatever speed. A friend of mine said maybe pressure plate but wouldn't I hear or feel that if I rev the motor at a stand still? TIA</TD></TR></TABLE>

double check your mounts, especially the rear. if it is cracked it is hard to see.
also, when was the last time you had your tires balanced? alignment?

and double check your tires, i once ran over a huge roof nail, i had 17" rims at the time and the vibration was driving me crazy.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bad vibration while car is in gear... (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

double check your mounts, especially the rear. if it is cracked it is hard to see.
also, when was the last time you had your tires balanced? alignment?

and double check your tires, i once ran over a huge roof nail, i had 17" rims at the time and the vibration was driving me crazy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea i didnt get to check the rear since it was late and i was dressed to go out so im going to that first. otherwise im taking the tranny off and checking the pressure plate bolts. i dont think its the wheels though because it would be all the time not just in drive. anyone else...
Old 07-31-2007, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FBP_EM1R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yea i didnt get to check the rear since it was late and i was dressed to go out so im going to that first. otherwise im taking the tranny off and checking the pressure plate bolts. i dont think its the wheels though because it would be all the time not just in drive. anyone else...</TD></TR></TABLE>

why the pressure plate? did tou do some type of tranny work before? replaced the clutch?

those bolts usually don't just get lose?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

everything in the car is brand new, when i swapped the itr motor into my Si i put a new clutch and that was prob 150 miles ago...
Old 07-31-2007, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FBP_EM1R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">everything in the car is brand new, when i swapped the itr motor into my Si i put a new clutch and that was prob 150 miles ago...</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, that might be something you want to double check. good luck!
Old 08-01-2007, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well after struggling with the tranny she is off and all the pressure plate bolts are on there. anything else i should look at while the tranny is off? any other suggestions would be great. remember it only does it while in gear so axles and lug nuts are out of the question...
Old 08-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 08-02-2007, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

up for some more ideas
Old 08-02-2007, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 08-02-2007, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check your tires maybe one of them has a lump or suttin
Old 08-02-2007, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bad vibration while car is in gear... (YellowEKHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YellowEKHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check your tires maybe one of them has a lump or suttin</TD></TR></TABLE>

vibration is only while in gear...
Old 08-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone else?
Old 08-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FBP_EM1R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yea i didnt get to check the rear since it was late and i was dressed to go out so im going to that first....</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FBP_EM1R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyone else?</TD></TR></TABLE>

it sounds like a mount problem. did you ever check the rear mount?

think about how the car works. when you are in gear, you are most likely accelerating. this causes motor movement, the rubber in the mounts are supposed to suppress that so you feel minium to no vibrations, when they are broken they cannot do there job, right?

now when you take the car out of gear and you are coasting, the motor returns to it's idling state. no motor movement is going on, this is why vibration is not felt.

i would spend some time looking at the rear mount. take a flashlight, look behind the I/M, jack the car up and remove the passenger wheel, do what ever it takes for you to get a clear view of that mount.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had a problem like that before. mine would not vibrate if i was coasting or in decel, but the min it had a load on it, it would vibrate it ended up being the inner joint on the axle double check those when you pull the tranny just to be on the safe side. i know you said you checked but it doesnt hurt
Old 08-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

might be a pilot bearing went out or some bearing it sounds like. Open the tranny up and see if theres any damage or anything that looks unusual
Old 08-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stealth50k)

i had the same exact problem a few months back. I bought a JDM motor and i didnt bother checking the clutch and didnt realize the clutch was crack and some piece actually came out. It would only shake violently when i come to a stop and go again. But while driving i wouldnt be able to feel the shake. Only when i stop and then go again is when the car shakes. So does this sound like your trouble?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hmtcrxsir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hmtcrxsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had the same exact problem a few months back. I bought a JDM motor and i didnt bother checking the clutch and didnt realize the clutch was crack and some piece actually came out. It would only shake violently when i come to a stop and go again. But while driving i wouldnt be able to feel the shake. Only when i stop and then go again is when the car shakes. So does this sound like your trouble?</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha i had that happen once
Old 08-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (saleensolution)

I was really shocked to realize that the clutch actually cracked and pieces started falling off the clutch when i took the tranny out. damn japanese ppl... race the **** out of the engine before donating it to the government. haha
Old 08-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

low miles too right
Old 08-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pressure plate to be exact
Old 08-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (saleensolution)

man dont remind me... haha... guy told me it was only 10k. but the engine was totally been raced out. i had to completely rebuild the engine afterwards.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WELL I TOOK THE TRANNY OFF, REINSTALLED THE FLYWHEEL AND CLUTCH AND ILL BE PUTTING IT ALL BACK TOGETHER AND DOUBLE CHECKING THE REAR MOUNT. THANKS GUYS

Quick Reply: Bad vibration while car is in gear...