Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

bad throw out bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad throw out bearing?

ive searched a lot for the past hour or so but there seems to be some contradicting info in the archives. i have what i think is a bad throw out bearing and heres why:

i here a whining noise when the clutch pedal is on the ground (disengaged? i always get confused which is engaged and which is disengaged) however i generally only here the noise when i downshift and the noise goes away as soon as i release the clutch pedal. i also usually have trouble getting the car into gear.

when i searched it wasnt clear as to when i should hear a noise for a bad throw out bearing. most of the threads said if the pedal was pressed and the noise occured that meant a bad throw out bearing but there were some that said it was the other way around, anyone 100% sure of when i should hear a whining for a bad throw out bearing? also most posts said that a bad TOB wouldnt lead to trouble in shifting, is this true?

if a bad TOB DOESNT cause problems in shifting then what could be my problem? ive changed my slave cylinder already, havent changed the master cylinder cause i just dont have the money right now (broke college student) but it doesnt appear to be leaking, i do plan on changing it this summer however. the clutch pressure seems a little weird, ill push the clutch almost all the way down and try to put the car in gear and it wont go then it feels like the clutch pedal kinda clicks and i can push it down maybe another half inch and the car goes into gear. when i went to replace the slave cylinder there was NO fluid in the resevoir, guess i need to check things like that more often, could this cause other things to go bad or could it cause air to go into the system meaning i just have to bleed the crap out of my clutch before it starts working properly. any help is appreciated this problems is driving me nuts especially since im at college and cant go out to my car every day to try to figure out whats wrong with it.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bad throw out bearing? (h23eg)

Ok Fist thing the Clutch Hydro system is a Closed Curcit meaning there is the Master that pushes fluid through the Hard lines to the flex line which pushes the Slave.

So let me get this straight when you push the pedal down you can't put it into gear or is it sometimes?

second how many miles are on the car and how old is the clutch and are you hard on it?

my to thoughts are either you have air in the line or the clutch is worn out? please give more info.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:52 PM

Default Re: bad throw out bearing? (Humpie56)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Humpie56 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok Fist thing the Clutch Hydro system is a Closed Curcit meaning there is the Master that pushes fluid through the Hard lines to the flex line which pushes the Slave.

So let me get this straight when you push the pedal down you can't put it into gear or is it sometimes?

second how many miles are on the car and how old is the clutch and are you hard on it?

my to thoughts are either you have air in the line or the clutch is worn out? please give more info.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i can put it into gear all the time but just with some effort. sometimes it goes in just fine but for the most part i really have to push hard to get it into gear. probably close to 100k on the motor and tranny and as far as i know the clutch is original. the problem got better, meaning it doesnt take as much effort to get it into gear, when i replaced the slave cylinder, the whining when downshifting didnt get any better or worse. the few times i can shift just fine, the clutch grabs just as if nothing were wrong. ive heard if it were the clutch the problem would occur all the time, can anyone back that up? the pressure problem tells me i have air in the system but the whining tells me its a bad throw out bearing. also i did NOT grease the end of the slave cylinder when i installed it (just didnt know to do it at the time) i plan on taking it off and greasing it and reinstalling it, could that lack of grease be causing any problems?
Old 05-21-2006, 02:13 PM

anyone?
Old 05-21-2006, 04:43 PM

Default Re: (h23eg)

i think it could be a throwoutbearing.. also might be a pilot bushing.. i am having a similiar issue.. if im driving and i ride my clutch even for the slightest (i kinda have to ive been driving with a bad iacv) my car squeals a little.. i havent had time to check to make sure thats whats happening but from my research it seems like its one of the two..
Old 05-22-2006, 10:27 AM

Default Re: (w0ng_sta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by w0ng_sta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think it could be a throwoutbearing.. also might be a pilot bushing.. i am having a similiar issue.. if im driving and i ride my clutch even for the slightest (i kinda have to ive been driving with a bad iacv) my car squeals a little.. i havent had time to check to make sure thats whats happening but from my research it seems like its one of the two.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

do you mean the pilot bearing in the flywheel? does it squeel when the clutch pedal is pressed or not pressed?