Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

is it bad if...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it bad if...

well I have a 00 SI with the basic bolt ons and just recently my passenger fender splash-guard (liner) came off. and as you know the air filter for the CAI is right there in front of the tire, and today i was driving and it started to rain and i had to drive in the rain a good 30 minutes until the rain stopped, my question is is it bad if i drive in the rain as long as i don't go in big puddles?
Old 12-16-2006, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the intake to suck up water (and hyrdolock) you have to completely submerge the filter.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (chrisw85)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chrisw85 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for the intake to suck up water (and hyrdolock) you have to completely submerge the filter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You only need to suck up 1tsp of water to hydrolock your engine.

The whole filter does NOT need to be submerged.

At OP:
It's not "bad" per-se but of course there's a higher chance of hydrolocking without the fender well.

Chances are you won't hydrolock from the rain but puddles. Though you said you didn't hit any puddles, good.

Though can you say you're NEVER going to hit ANY puddles?

If you can, then fine.

I would replace the fender well.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:58 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You only need to suck up 1tsp of water to hydrolock your engine.

The whole filter does NOT need to be submerged.

At OP:
It's not "bad" per-se but of course there's a higher chance of hydrolocking without the fender well.

Chances are you won't hydrolock from the rain but puddles. Though you said you didn't hit any puddles, good.

Though can you say you're NEVER going to hit ANY puddles?

If you can, then fine.

I would replace the fender well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 12-16-2006, 08:00 PM

yeah i'm looking for a replacement already, and i wasn't going to drive in rain for the time being but i had to today for work. if the engine get hyrolocked the engine is done right?
Old 12-16-2006, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lamboextreme)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lamboextreme &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah i'm looking for a replacement already, and i wasn't going to drive in rain for the time being but i had to today for work. if the engine get hyrolocked the engine is done right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:08 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

why do you hate caps-lock????

Modified by lamboextreme at 9:21 PM 12/16/2006
Old 12-16-2006, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lamboextreme)

I don't hate capslock.

I hate people who make entire posts with the capslock button as it becomes annoying on the eyes and hard to see.

Not to mention it just looks ******* horrible.

I see absolutely no need to prove to people I know where the caps lock key can be found by posting a 40 line lecture in all capital letters.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:43 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't hate capslock.

I hate people who make entire posts with the capslock button as it becomes annoying on the eyes and hard to see.

Not to mention it just looks ******* horrible.

I see absolutely no need to prove to people I know where the caps lock key can be found by posting a 40 line lecture in all capital letters.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I feel ya on the CAPSLOCK!

Now...although I see what you're saying as far as the amount of water needed to hydrolock is, however there was extensive research done over @ team-integra and it was basically "proven" that you basically NEED to completely submerge the filter in order to suck up enough water to hydrolock.

Now I personally think this is crap, but I cant argue what a bunch of people with SIGNIFICANTLY more experience than I have that say otherwise. I'm also sure there's countless amounts of people that will say that they did NOT submerge the filter yet obviously hydrolocked.

I honestly dont know what to believe. What you're saying I personally agree with. Why? Because it makes sense. Hypothetically you'd have to be driving through like 2 feet of water literally, to submerge the filter. But as I said...there's MANY people that will say otherwise, and that the filter must be submerged in order to suck enough water to hydrolock.

I'll try to find the post from team-integra and copy/paste as I wouldnt mind reading it again as this was from a few years ago.

EDIT: I searched around and I couldnt find what I was looking for. So until I do, forget what I said. But before anyone starts babbering about the fact that IM WRONG...remember this....I DONT agree with the "submerging" part, I actually agree with the fact that you dont need much water to hydrolock.

Modified by I Shot 50 Cent at 5:54 AM 12/17/2006
Old 12-16-2006, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you pull your plugs?
Old 12-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (danny99si)

Naw I think you'll be fine unless you get a whole bunch of water in your engine, puddles and what not are probably not gonna do a whole lot of damage. I would try to avoid it though, cuz it can't be good for your engine.

I didnt see this HUGE mini river of water one time, went through it and it made my engine die. after shitting a brick i started it back up and it was fine.

I would say you would probably need quite a bit of water to do damage.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (I Shot 50 Cent)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Shot 50 Cent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I feel ya on the CAPSLOCK!

Now...although I see what you're saying as far as the amount of water needed to hydrolock is, however there was extensive research done over @ team-integra and it was basically "proven" that you basically NEED to completely submerge the filter in order to suck up enough water to hydrolock.

Now I personally think this is crap, but I cant argue what a bunch of people with SIGNIFICANTLY more experience than I have that say otherwise. I'm also sure there's countless amounts of people that will say that they did NOT submerge the filter yet obviously hydrolocked.

I honestly dont know what to believe. What you're saying I personally agree with. Why? Because it makes sense. Hypothetically you'd have to be driving through like 2 feet of water literally, to submerge the filter. But as I said...there's MANY people that will say otherwise, and that the filter must be submerged in order to suck enough water to hydrolock.

I'll try to find the post from team-integra and copy/paste as I wouldnt mind reading it again as this was from a few years ago.

EDIT: I searched around and I couldnt find what I was looking for. So until I do, forget what I said. But before anyone starts babbering about the fact that IM WRONG...remember this....I DONT agree with the "submerging" part, I actually agree with the fact that you dont need much water to hydrolock.

Modified by I Shot 50 Cent at 5:54 AM 12/17/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I heard all that crap about the filter being completely submerged. It basically comes down to whether or not you're willing to gamble with your engine. The chances are low of hydrolocking by a puddle, but I have seen a few engines hydrolock - hydrolocked because of puddles, not because the filter was completely submerged. So it's definitely possible, I've seen it. As for whether it's likely or not, that's up to you.

Some people say 10% is a lot, some people say that's not a bad percentage at all. I'm not saying that's the percent of chance that would happen, but I'm not ready to gamble w/ that over a ******* wheel well.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imagine half of a filter under water. It takes quite a vacuum to suck up water versus air. Any portion of the filter that is not in water will allow a 'bypass' for air to get sucked up through instead of water, since air is easier for the engine to suck than water. This is sorta how the AEM bypass valve works; once the filter is completely submerged the only thing it could suck up would be water, but the bypass provides a point to which air will bypass and the water won't get sucked up.

I remember reading of one test in Sport Compact Car where AEM/SCC submerged an intake on an NSX, the water started to rise out of the fish tank but it never got close to the intake manifold. They did this test with an 'AEM bypass valve' but it goes to show that you have to litterally submerge the entire filter for it to suck up the water. http://www.sportcompactcarweb....valve/
Old 12-16-2006, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chrisw85)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chrisw85 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Imagine half of a filter under water. It takes quite a vacuum to suck up water versus air. Any portion of the filter that is not in water will allow a 'bypass' for air to get sucked up through instead of water, since air is easier for the engine to suck than water. This is sorta how the AEM bypass valve works; once the filter is completely submerged the only thing it could suck up would be water, but the bypass provides a point to which air will bypass and the water won't get sucked up.

I remember reading of one test in Sport Compact Car where AEM/SCC submerged an intake on an NSX, the water started to rise out of the fish tank but it never got close to the intake manifold. They did this test with an 'AEM bypass valve' but it goes to show that you have to litterally submerge the entire filter for it to suck up the water. http://www.sportcompactcarweb....valve/</TD></TR></TABLE>

True, and I like the way you backed up what you said with actual info.

It's good that that's what you saw...I've seen a few Honda motors towed in due to hydrolocking - outside of floods.

So read what I put 2 posts up.