Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bad idler pulley..

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bad idler pulley.. (Tuesdaynightfever)

Did you ever get this fixed? I have a Civic DX with the same prob

Sounds like it's the Idler Pulley. My car made the same noise. And for a while I would drop a few drops of motor oil right next to the tension bolt on top there and between the pulley, trying to hit right where parts #14 and # 23 are in the diagram below. I did this while the car was on and the squeek would go away for days. Try not to get any on the belt or it may slip. I did but thebel never slipped. Either way it'snever good to get oil ony our belts.

Now it's making a HUGE amount of racket a low idleand sounds like it could blow at anytime.

I just ordered a Idler Pulley kit from Manchester Honda for $41 shipped. I'll let you know how it works out

Old 02-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bad idler pulley..

Originally Posted by Hondacivic90ed
best way to find out where the squeaking is coming from is to take a long screwdriver and while the engine is running touch the metal bracket holding the idler pulley to the engine and put your ear to the end of the screwdriver. Rev the engine while your ear is down on the screwdriver. Try the idler pulley first because that is more than likely your problem but I wouldn't rule out a possible bad bearing in your alternator so do the same thing to that, touch the screwdriver to the alternator while the engine is running and see if you can narrow down where the noise is coming from. Rarely an a/c compressor will make noise from an imporoperly adjusted clutch or from being worn out but this isn't as likely as the other two and usually doesn't cause a squeaking noise. The idler pulley comes in a kit with a new pulley, bearing and washers. I think its roughly 50$.
This post is 4 years old, but thanks for the helpful advice. The screwdriver worked great to pinpoint the idler pulley as the source of the screeching in my 93 Civic DX. I got a replacement idler pulley at Van's/Carquest for about $50. The hardest part was getting the idler pulley bolt off - it was too close to the body to fit a socket on it. Had to use a box wrench, set a long 2x2 on the wrench handle and hit the other end with a hammer to break it loose.