Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is it bad to drive with blown piston rings??

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it bad to drive with blown piston rings??

Hello, i have a 2000 honda civic si and i took it to the shop. the mechanic says that the piston ring in my 4th cylinder is bad. i really dont want to spend the money fixing it (quoted $2,000). whats the worse that can happen besides burning oil through the exhaust if i keep on driving it? thanks.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it bad to drive with blown piston rings?? (taimysho0)

take it to another shop and see what they say, don't tell them what the other shop said was wrong with your car. if they both say your #4 cylinder has bad compression then i'd have it fixed asap. if not you just better hope your car isn't too low for a tow truck.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i mean, will it eventually not start? blow up engine? as of now, i just put a bit of oil in it here and there and it runs fine. fore sure its a blown ring, they did a compression test on it
Old 09-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Stouts 'n' Scotch

I wouldn't recommend driving with a blown piston ring period. If that's the problem, get it fixed. $2K to fix it is absolutely ridiculous as well. I seriously doubt there are a lack of Honda shops in CA, take it to a few places and go with the lowest quote.

Or, if you feel like taking a crash course in engine rebuilding, get a Helms manual and do it yourself.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wiZCo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wiZCo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wouldn't recommend driving with a blown piston ring period. If that's the problem, get it fixed. $2K to fix it is absolutely ridiculous as well. I seriously doubt there are a lack of Honda shops in CA, take it to a few places and go with the lowest quote.

Or, if you feel like taking a crash course in engine rebuilding, get a Helms manual and do it yourself. </TD></TR></TABLE>

its actaully not that hard to rebuild it yourself just follow the the directions and torque things down to spec

buy another b16 block and go from that way cheaper
Old 09-03-2007, 10:59 PM
1 Weeker

i drove from the trailer to my garage on bad rings............all 4 of em..................couldnt see anything but it was fun!

ask more specific questions for more specific answers
Old 09-04-2007, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i mean ive been driving it for a while now, and put about 2,000 miles on the car. the car came with the jacked up rings by the way (which i didnt know). so iono how long total the cars been driven with them. im just wondering, its not gunna blow up on me or anything is it? i mean, its still OK to drive with 3 working cylinders isnt it?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:49 AM
1 Weeker

Default Re: (taimysho0)

you're fine..................could cuase serious engine damage but ehhhh its only a d16z6 turn around and drop 500 bucks on a freshly rebuilt one if yours gets fucked
Old 09-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Stouts 'n' Scotch

Default Re: (lotus elise)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lotus elise &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you're fine..................could cuase serious engine damage but ehhhh its only a d16z6 turn around and drop 500 bucks on a freshly rebuilt one if yours gets fucked </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's a B16A dude.

And, no, I wouldn't say it's "fine" to continue driving with a blown ring. Either he's going to have to get it fixed or it will eventually destroy his motor.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do u see smoke coming out from exhaust?
the rings for all 4 pistons cost under $200. ask help from your friends how know how to fix the cars. $2000 is too much man.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:01 PM
1 Weeker

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wiZCo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's a B16A dude.

And, no, I wouldn't say it's "fine" to continue driving with a blown ring. Either he's going to have to get it fixed or it will eventually destroy his motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol i doubt he has a blown ring set tho................he didnt mention smoke out of the exhuast........probably a fake upsell. i mena i spent 2 grand form my entire car haha almost cheaper to buy a new eg and then swap this one haha (if you cant do it yourself.........................................i did my z6 rings for a few hundred)
Old 09-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Stouts 'n' Scotch

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lotus elise &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lol i doubt he has a blown ring set tho................he didnt mention smoke out of the exhuast........probably a fake upsell. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't even think about that. Good point. He needs to get a second opinion in the worst way.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lotus elise &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you're fine..................could cuase serious engine damage but ehhhh its only a d16z6 turn around and drop 500 bucks on a freshly rebuilt one if yours gets fucked </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not a d16z6....

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wiZCo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's a B16A dude.

And, no, I wouldn't say it's "fine" to continue driving with a blown ring. Either he's going to have to get it fixed or it will eventually destroy his motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not a B16A either...

It's a D16Y8.

I completely rebuilt my d16y8 with all new gaskets, Eagle H beam rods and Vitara heat treated pistons. It costed me about $1400 for all that including machine work and assembly! You must've taken it to the "stealer"ship and got the quote of the $2000!

As for driving it with bad rings...The only thing it's going to do is smoke and possibly score up the cylinder walls bad enough to where you have to over bore your sleeves. Nothing a machine shop can't handle.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Stouts 'n' Scotch

Default Re: (EX-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's not a d16z6....

It's not a B16A either...

It's a D16Y8.

As for driving it with bad rings...The only thing it's going to do is smoke and possibly score up the cylinder walls bad enough to where you have to over bore your sleeves. Nothing a machine shop can't handle.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where are you getting that it's a D16Y8? He said he has a 2000 Si, since when did they come with D16Y8's in the US?

I still can't believe you guys are advising somebody to drive their car with blown rings.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

find a good rebiult ls block and put your head on it
Old 09-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ive been daily driving a pos d15b with SHOT piston rings for almost a year.
Just smokes...
:shrugs:

and omg yes its a 2000 si, in california...its a b16
Old 09-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its s a b16a2, it says so on the transmission next to the vin#. also it DOES smoke (blue/white) so yea oil is leaking through the rings and its burning it through the exhaust. i put in about a quart of oil every 500 miles. umm i guess i should just sell it, i dont have the funds to repair it.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Call around, it really is not that expensive of a fix. $2000 is way too high for rings IMO
Hell, if it were my car Id just do the rings myself along with new timing belt & water pump for under $500 and a weekend

For fun, have you tried Restore?

Many people have said that it actually does work, to an extent. I know a serious classic muscle guy that swears by it until he can do an engine rebuild.
There are other things out there that are similar too.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

time for a rebuild, shouldn't be too expensive though, should be well under 500 with new gaskets, rings and bearings. i'm sure someone you know knows how to rebuild a motor. Grab yourself a chilton manual, and go at it you'll learn something
Old 09-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lotus elise &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i drove from the trailer to my garage on bad rings............all 4 of em..................couldnt see anything but it was fun!

</TD></TR></TABLE>HA! i'm sure it was
Old 09-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly dude get another short block and put your head on it

you could do a b20vetec for like 1000
http://www.hondamarketplace.co...60589

or a poormans typer for like 1200
http://www.hondamarketplace.co...42939

or build your self another b16 bottom end while you drive around and destroy your
http://www.hondamarketplace.co...88655

there are so many b-series blocks out there there is no reason to sell your car
Old 09-04-2007, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (darkclark)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by darkclark &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">find a good rebiult ls block and put your head on it</TD></TR></TABLE> you will be much much more happy you did. this is the smartest thing thats been said in this post. go on craigslist or your local forum. im sure you can find a complete ls longblock for like 500$ if not cheaper
Old 09-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ivan93egreppin210)

I've been driving on bad rings for 3 years now... smokes & burns oil.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a good running B18 bottom end. Will save you a ton of $ and time.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NACvicSi)

2000 bucks? a new auto tranny is cheaper than that

Quick Reply: Is it bad to drive with blown piston rings??