Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bad Car Sale

Old 04-22-2004, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Car Sale

About a little over a month ago I bought a Civic from a guy I am for now going to call Joel. When came to my house he showed me his car and we made a deal on it. Then he gave me the pink slip which when he gave to me I just looked to see if it was signed a dated. Then I asked for a smog cert (which is required by law) And he said he forgot it and he say he will bring it by next week.

Well the next morning I looked at the pink slip and noticed that it wasn't under his name and was dated from about 4 months ago. I called him up and asked him about the pink slip and he said that it was under his step-dads name and that the release date was when his dad released it to him.

So more than a week passes and he doesnt call me back so I call him and he says that he will get it by this weekend, he never called back, so this happens a couple more times and I started to get pissed off.

WTF is going on here. I can come to a conclution that he never registered the car and cant get a smog cert because it need to be reg. under his name? And I cant smog it because he had a engine swap. I havent reg. the car because I have been waiting on his smog cert. The car also has some mechanincal problems he never told me about. What should I do to this **** face. I am thinking of taking him to court.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:01 PM

I need an opinion.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Only option I see is to get the law involved. Since the car still belongs to some one other than you. That person could get into trouble for emmsions and registeration problems.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (socal456)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by socal456 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I need an opinion.</TD></TR></TABLE>
What type of swap, and what kind of mechanical problems does it have? How much did you pay?
Old 04-22-2004, 01:09 PM

Well collections(repos!) is what I do and sometimes you have to get ugly! The courts will just **** you off...
Old 04-22-2004, 01:14 PM

The car has a JDM B16a swap. The car heats up when idle and coolant starts to gush out of the coolant tank and radiator cap. And it has a high idle. These problems couldn't have been seen because he didn't leave the car idle long enough. I am also a MINOR. Payed $4200 for it.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dang got ripped on the price. but besides that its time to get the law involved
Old 04-22-2004, 01:46 PM

yeah if i were you i would just get the law involved, and see what they tell you to do...thats ur best option...
Old 04-22-2004, 02:08 PM

What should be my first step?
Old 04-22-2004, 02:11 PM
clm
Honda-Tech Member

Tell him you consulted with a family lawyer and you'd prefer to keep the law out of your transaction.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:16 PM

dial 911 no just kidding hey where in so-cal r u from?
Old 04-22-2004, 02:20 PM

That sucks, sue that b*tch.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bad Car Sale (socal456)

sounds like you should have investigated the car more before handing your money over.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:39 PM
the son and the heir

Default Re: (mario82686)

Well in California it is required by the law for the seller to provide the smog papers during a sale. So if there wasn't any smog papers provided, the deal is null and void. You should be able to get all of your money back. Threaten to sue him with this law and he'll more than likely cave in. Tell him you've spoken to a lawyer and provide some bogus lawyer's name and contact info and a fake court number or date and that'll scare the be-jesus out of him. If he doesn't cave in, take it to court!
Old 04-22-2004, 03:06 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (macrosshn)

definetely,
get the law involved,

make sure you know EXACTLY where this ****** lives though,
track the **** down.

yeah, sometimes you mess up and dont check things out thoroughly before jumping in, it happens, i've done it in the past too, you learn from your mistakes and i'm sure you'll be more careful in the future.

Heres a tip you should definetely remember,
when money is involved in a transaction TRUST NO ONE,
no matter how sincere they may seem, ALWAYS be wary!

What you should do first off, is try to get the guy to just reverse the deal,
give you your money back and take the car back and leave it at that,
make sure he knows that if he doesnt you are going to really **** him with the cops, sue him, etc
And you should be able to follow up too, because i'm pretty sure what he did is illegal.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tad)

sounds like a bogus deal. you are gonna go to the police they are gonna say you bought a stolen car and they are gonna take it from you. while the dood you gave $4200 already spent it on tweak and is gonna go to jail and you wont get your money.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tad)

go after his ***!!!!!!!
get the jonny law in on this one..
Old 04-22-2004, 03:41 PM

Default Re: (Drew95eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Drew95eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like a bogus deal. you are gonna go to the police they are gonna say you bought a stolen car and they are gonna take it from you. while the dood you gave $4200 already spent it on tweak and is gonna go to jail and you wont get your money. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Probably, but I hope that's not the case.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bad Car Sale (socal456)

#1 should have gone to DMV to insure there was no duplicate title
#2 should have gotten a notorized bill of sale, and notorized title
#3 should have gotten the smog certificate

im an impatient person especially when it comes to speed, but for the price you said, i would have protected myself better.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Bad Car Sale (Huggy Bear)

A bottle of Jack and a .45

Seriously, get the law involved and get your money back. Or take him to Judge Judy and she'll rip him a new one
Old 04-22-2004, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn... i wouldve sold u my (soon to be bar'd) b16a hatch for $4000 in perfect working order...

the best thing to do: try to contact him and tell him that he is req'd by law to provide the smog cert for you. also, inform the person that is on the title. tell them if he does not respond in 1 week, you will notify the authorities. that should get things rolling...
Old 04-22-2004, 04:57 PM

What type of authorities would you go to?
Old 04-22-2004, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by socal456 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The car has a JDM B16a swap. The car heats up when idle and coolant starts to gush out of the coolant tank and radiator cap. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That is a sign of a blown head gasket.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:22 PM

Default Re: (Slopoke)

Never spend money on a car without fully inspection the engine, drivetrain, and body. At the very least run a carfax and have the basic compression test, brakes and alignment, clutch tests etc. If you know there are big things wrong with it you can still go for it but knock a good chunk off the asking price if it hasn't already been done. Never buy a car just on "it starts and went around the block real good". In your case you've already lost so your best course of action is:

1. attempt to contact him and tell him he needs to refund the deal or risk legal action

2. if he doesn't respond favorably get a lawyer and take him to court. He made an illegal deal with you and you should come out on top
Old 04-27-2004, 12:41 AM

I just found out a few days ago that there are two different VIN numbers on the car, to me this does not sound too good, and that he still has the Autotrader ad for it, here's the link:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/...st=62

The guy who sold me the car WORKS FOR A JDM MOTOR PLACE.

One thing you can do if you want this bad sales man to regret what he did and possibly give me my money back is to call his cell/work number asking for "Joel" and tell him that you are very interested in buying the car. Tell him that you are will to pay the full price. If he's says that its al ready sold, tell him if there is ANYWAY for him to get it back from the buyer and sell it to him. For that say you would be will to pay $4700 for the hassle. If he says that he will try. Tell him to call you once he has the car back. DONT FORGET TO ONLY GO ON ONCE HE HAS THE CAR BACK! Then after give him a address which is around the Long Beach, Los Angeles, Orange County area, but not too close to him or too far because if it is too close then he might want to talk with you before he gets it back from me and if it is too far he may not even bother. Do not put your real address, but one that is real because he will lookup it up on Mapquest or whatever. Tell him to meet up with you on a specific date and let him look for you for a 2,3,4,5 hours.

A funny senerio would be to call the number asking for "Joel" then saying that you heard of him from a friend who lives in Palm Springs, CA. Then asking if they have any B18c Type-R motors in stock and ordering about three of those and two B16a motors. Then telling them that a "friend" told you that he sold a car without a smog cert. and not letting him have a chance to take back the car, then HANG UP!

Modified by socal456 at 4:16 AM 4/28/2004

Modified by socal456 at 5:56 AM 4/28/2004

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad Car Sale