Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

bad caliper, warped rotor...can i only change the rotor and caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bad caliper, warped rotor...can i only change the rotor and caliper?

95dx with entirely swapped brakes from integra. My rear autozone caliper seized on the passenger right and I drove about 3 blocks like that until it was squealing and smoking. I stopped, gave it a rest and drove home (another 3 blocks). I loosened the caliper and have ever since had a warped rotor as a result of that drive. Now it gives a rhythmic squeak while driving and puslgin and squeaking from the rear while braking. I have put up with it, but would like to know, if I get another autozone free exchange for the caliper and change out the rotor do I need to change the pads? My rotor is a brembo blank and I am considering just doing a cheap autozone rotor replacement. The pads are Hawks HPS all around and still have a lot of meat. Don't want to buy a full rear set only to change out one side. Are my pads still ok, glazed and ruined, how do I know?? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Steve
Old 03-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: bad caliper, warped rotor...can i only change the rotor and caliper?

Dont red neck your car, especially on your brakes. If you want the problem fixed do it the right way and buy yourself either the new breembo set, or just buy OEM parts. OEM parts always save you from troubles like this, what are you running that you need brembo?
Old 03-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bad caliper, warped rotor...can i only change the rotor and caliper?

lol I never thought brembo blanks were THAT great. The calipers were oem. Maybe you misunderstood that part? That's why I replaced the calipers with the autozone lifetime waranty oem replacements. I didn't think that was a redneck move on my part. I am stock right now but plan on a swap in the future. I wanted better stoppingso I swapped an integras brakes over to mine. So again, the only brembo thing on my car are the oem sized rotors. No vented stuff, just blanks. oem calipers. Hawk HPS pads. That's it. Thanks for replying. Do you think my pads are wrecked?
Old 03-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i don't know about you but i'v had problems with the autozone replacements. the piston seals kept leaking replacement after replacement. i finally got a good one tho after about 4 swaps. they're pretty cheap tho about the same price a shop pays at their distributor.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, my left rear leaked right out of the box (I went with autozone for both rears, since the calipers I received were both seized). I also noticed on the honda majestic oem parts website that they are all rebuilt anyways, so I thought why not get rebuilt autozone ones for cheaper. My left rear has been solid for almost two years now.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

AND, when I took my leaky left rear one back they had since changed companies that was doing the rebuilds and like I said ever since the left rear has been good to me. The right rear is from the original failure company so the replacement I will get should be from the newer and hopefully more competent remanufacturing company.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i didnt mean to offend you. I work and specialize on Honda, Acura, Toyota, Lexus and Scion, ive specializd for ten years, with my experience i would never put any parts from autoZone Kragen etc on my vehicle nor any vehicles i fix because i cant trust them, i have very little to no problem with honda dealer parts i prefer to pay the extra money. Majestic Honda is pretty reliable. Just IMO.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No offense taken mang. I just thought you misinterpreted something I said. I agree that you probably get what you pay for and if I do the engine swap I'll just put acura rebuilt calipers back on at that time.

Can anyone tell me about the pads and if they should be replaced or if they will be fine? Again the thickness is there, but since they seized and overheated, are they useless? Thanks again to everyone.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wouldnt reuse the pads, its really up to you though in the end, because i dont think heat will change the friction material, the current surface is probably glazed so if you want to save some money and grind a little bit of it off, the pads would probably still work fine, i'm not telling you to do it but if i had an old beater i would.