Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bad axle/bushings & mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad axle/bushings & mounts

I have a 93 del sol with a 1.5 in it. I'm assuming it's just a bad axle but I want to make sure. It just started the other day when I turn left I can hear clicking from the passenger side.

Also, since the car is 20yrs old I'm looking at replacing all the suspension bushings. Is there a master kit out there and what would you all suggest. It's just a daily driver and I want it to be somewhat smooth ride.

What about motor mounts? I want to replace mine and all I can seem to find are swap mounts for a b16 etc. Would you all go with polyurethane mounts or try to find stock ones?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bad axle/bushings & mounts

you can drive on a clicking axle until it starts clicking when you're driving straight, that's when they start being an issue and need replacement.
you should be able to find motor mount inserts instead of replacing the whole mount.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cryptonik
you should be able to find motor mount inserts instead of replacing the whole mount.
I saw these but didn't know how well they worked. It's definitely a cheaper way to go I'm guessing.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Personally I have not ever used inserts so i cannot speak for those. I would suggest just getting factory replacement motor mounts and oem bushings if you desire a smooth ride. Polyurethane mounts (depending on which kind of urethane you choose) can make your car vibrate all the time and it can be noisy and uncomfortable, it all just your preference though. I would ask a friend or someone you know who has them in their car and see how it feels, go for a ride.

Personally I went with oem mounts and polyurethane suspension bushings, simply because to me it was the cheaper route and for weekend track use you can't go wrong, I don't even really feel the difference too much myself in the ride quality. But I'm very picky about vibrations in the interior so the oem mounts make the car super smooth in city.

As far as the axle goes? I would replace it to be safe and save yourself the headache down the road. It's only like 50 bucks and I'm sure you can find a used one around for cheaper, just go buy an axle nut from your local auto parts store.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you buy the energy suspension master kit be ready for some hard *** labor. I'm in the middle of it right now. The lower control arms in front are some work.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Marvin1985
If you buy the energy suspension master kit be ready for some hard *** labor. I'm in the middle of it right now. The lower control arms in front are some work.
That's what I heard. How are you doing it? I've heard some heat, saw saw, screw driver, and a big hammer usually worked.

So if I decide to just buy OEM mounts can you all tell me how they are labeled? I have been looking them up and I'll see one labeled front left mount, or rear mount and to me it doesn't make since. The one that says rear mount doesn't look like it goes in the rear at all so maybe I just don't know how all the mounts are labeled.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is it clicking when you turn the wheels (cv axle) or when your driving straight? Could be the wheel bearing.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mrspeedy69
That's what I heard. How are you doing it? I've heard some heat, saw saw, screw driver, and a big hammer usually worked.

So if I decide to just buy OEM mounts can you all tell me how they are labeled? I have been looking them up and I'll see one labeled front left mount, or rear mount and to me it doesn't make since. The one that says rear mount doesn't look like it goes in the rear at all so maybe I just don't know how all the mounts are labeled.
Best to buy the harbor freight 20 ton press if you're gonna DIY alot of bushings. You could always burn them out and then cut the metal ring but you still gotta get the new bushings back in without mauling them.