Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Backfire/Missfire. Honestly not sure. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/backfire-missfire-honestly-not-sure-1004861/)

EJ8 D15Y8 09-27-2004 03:56 PM

Backfire/Missfire. Honestly not sure.

D15 block. Y7 head.
Its been running good other than the shot rings. (This is a temporary block)

Heres the problem..
ONLY at steady rpm. I repeat only at ONE STEADY RPM. Not when Acceling or Deceling. But at ANY RPM. 2k, 5k, 6k, 3.5k. ANY RPM.
The exhaust will backfire RAPIDLY. And never stop if I hold it at that rpm.
This makes cruising on the highway at a steady speed almost impossible.

Idle is also low, and rough. And it seems to be blowing out a lot of unburnt fuel. I go through gas FAST.

WOT is just about fine, Deceling is fine.

This happened last night, and today I saw an eye doctor So I didnt get a chance to inspect at all because my eyes are killing me.

I CANNOT check Codes because of a major electrical problem that makes my whole guage cluster inoperative. But this is another story.

Anyone who has some HELPFUL information, it would be appreciated.
People who are just blowing things out there ass, keep your mouth shut.
Id like for Honda TECH to be what the name says it is.

Thanks in advance to all who will contribute.

Modified by EJ8 D15Y8 at 11:39 AM 9/28/2004

Archidictus 09-27-2004 04:40 PM

Re: Backfire/Missfire. Honestly not sure. (EJ8 D15Y8)

You probably have the plugs on in the wrong order at the distributor. It sounds stupid but it's easy to do and you end up with the kinds of problems you're describing.

Furthermore, it's not going to do any good to preemptively bitch at people for being assholes. In fact, it might even encourage it. If you ask a reasonable question (and you run the spell checker), no one will be an ass.

Hopefully this helps get your problem solved.

EJ8 D15Y8 09-28-2004 02:37 AM

Thanks for the reply.
They are in the correct order, Ive been driving the car for months without a problem.

Actually. It seems like it has worked. I didnt get any replies that seemed like they were a waste of time.

Id rather get one good response than 20 that dont do jack.

Thanks again.

mct121 09-28-2004 05:40 AM

Re: Backfire/Missfire. Honestly not sure. (EJ8 D15Y8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ8 D15Y8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I CANNOT check Codes because of a major electrical problem that makes my whole guage cluster inoperative. But this is another story.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Could the "major electrical problem" be related to the engine problem? If I were troubleshooting this, I would start by fixing that. Then at least I could can pull codes that would help a lot at finding the root of engine trouble.

civicminded92 09-28-2004 06:52 AM

Re: Backfire/Missfire. Honestly not sure. (mct121)

I would suspect your plug wires as culprits. Also, get the rest of the system working to rule that out.

EJ8 D15Y8 09-28-2004 11:18 AM

Well the car has been running great even with the big electrical problem. So that isnt the culprit from what I know.
But it is fucking me up since I cant check codes.

Civicminded. Its good to see a old fella from the Good D forums spreading some good ideas. (Hint I'm 1493cc from the D board)

I was thinking the same thing about the plug wires.
I am picking up a set today along with a cap and rotor.

If that doesnt solve the prob, someone suggested it could be the TPS.
The car blows fuel out ALL the time, it could be making the injectors run in open loop ALL the time lol.

Thanks for the replies guys.

EJ8 D15Y8 09-28-2004 12:17 PM

I figured I should find the problem one step at a time. So I just bought Plug wires. Put them in. And it seems fine now.
But a full day of driving will confirm a REAL fix.
Its raining like all hell, so Ill put it to the test tomorrow.

Thanks again to whoever helped out.

civicminded92 09-29-2004 12:20 PM

Re: (EJ8 D15Y8)

Recognized your avitar 1493, and another post here. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif I swapped wires when I had that problem, and it's been running great ever since. Hopefully it'll be the same for you -

EJ8 D15Y8 10-04-2004 04:02 PM

Civicminded. No LUCK.

And problem has become CONSTANT now.
New plugs turn black in minutes.
Blows so much fuel out the exhaust it is incredible.

Heres the list of what Ive changed so far.
Coil, ignitor, plugs, wires. Whole dizzy. Cap and rotor still look good.
FPR, ecu.
TPS sensor is .38 idle and 4.2 wot. its off but not by much.

Car is backfiring at steady rpm MADLY. And always blowing smoke (fuel).

Anyone who could help out, Id appreciate it.

Thank you.