Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B20z2 leaking ATF. What could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 02:16 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B20z2 leaking ATF. What could it be?

This is actually on a 99 CRV auto 4wd with 75K that I just bought, but this forum is a lot more active than the truck forum, and I see B20 threads here everyday, so hopefully someone will have some input before I take it back to the dealer and start complaining. I DID NOT see any fluid on the ground at the lot, or else I wouldn't have bought it.

Mods, please move to the truck forum if you don't like it here.

So anyway, the CRV is leaking ATF from the bottom passenger side of the transmission. I can't tell where it's coming from - it almost looks like it's seeping from all of the bolts on the bottom. Fluid level is good - if anything, slightly high, as it's to the top of the mark, rather than in between top and bottom. Fluid is bright red, and clean as if it just came from the bottle. Could the dealer overfilling it cause this? Would it seep out like that? Should I be worried?
Old 07-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: B20z2 leaking ATF. What could it be? (Vindicator9000)

Were the axles recently removed? It sounds like it's probably leaking from there - bad seal or somebody put the axle in crooked.

If you knock that stupid spring off it won't seal right - happens all the time if the person doesn't put the axle in straight.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the vent on top of the transmission, people forget to make sure this is not clogged and when the transmission gets hot, it will build up heat, expanding air and ATF, and can cause gaskets to leak.

Make sure you are checking the fluid when the engine is hot, and parked level. When the transmission is cold, the fluid in the valve bodies/clutches and other components will drain into the bottom pan. An above full reading is normal when it is cold, as most of the circuits are dry.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: B20z2 leaking ATF. What could it be? (slowcivic2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowcivic2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check the vent on top of the transmission, people forget to make sure this is not clogged and when the transmission gets hot, it will build up heat, expanding air and ATF, and can cause gaskets to leak.

Make sure you are checking the fluid when the engine is hot, and parked level. When the transmission is cold, the fluid in the valve bodies/clutches and other components will drain into the bottom pan. An above full reading is normal when it is cold, as most of the circuits are dry.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've heard about that (to check the trans hot instead of cold, opposed to engine oil where it's the inverse) from somebody else - but never actually looked into it - guess that's clarified for me.

@ OP:
I guess u can ignore my 1st post - I don't know jack **** about auto trans's - I'm not sure if it's the same as manual so iono if what I said applies - sorry. I just realized that...
Old 07-21-2007, 03:50 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowcivic2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check the vent on top of the transmission, people forget to make sure this is not clogged and when the transmission gets hot, it will build up heat, expanding air and ATF, and can cause gaskets to leak.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That sounds very much like what might be happening. Where is the vent/what does it look like? I'm going out to check now.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowcivic2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Make sure you are checking the fluid when the engine is hot, and parked level. When the transmission is cold, the fluid in the valve bodies/clutches and other components will drain into the bottom pan. An above full reading is normal when it is cold, as most of the circuits are dry.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It was hot and level when I checked it. I started it, shifted to all gears twice, shut it off, and checked it.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.hondaautomotivepart...WD%29

Item number 3 in the description.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:05 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Well, I looked at and cleaned out the breather cap - it was item #3. I cleaned the entire transmission housing with brake cleaner in hopes that I can see a little better where it's coming from.

After looking at it this morning, it almost seems like it's coming from what *I think* is the shift control solenoids. They're two little solenoids towards the bottom right side of the tranny. Looks like it may be seeping from around the gasket. I'll probably look at it a little more today and see if I can definitely pinpoint it.

Calling the dealer back tomorrow morning. I don't have much of a warranty (2000 miles engine and drivetrain), but hopefully they'll cover it.