Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B20Z2 into my EJ7

Old 12-21-2013, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 B20Z2 into my EJ7

I have a 96 EJ7 with the D16Y5, manual. Yes, it has VTEC... I'm tired of being asked that. I'm on my third block, and stock head, which is warped. She has 206k miles on her. My original plan for the car was to rebuild my single jingle and turbo it with about 6lbs, daily driven. I was aiming for just under 200hp, but still get about 40mpg. But I decided away from that for now. I'm going to keep the head for later down the road with another civic.

So I ended up buying a B20Z2 out of a wrecked CR-V from a local shop for $600 a few weeks back. Just over 82k miles, I think I got a pretty decent deal. I was then on a wild goose chase for parts and information. As I was reading through a few forums about this swap, I mostly found info on the B20B, and not so much about the Z2. There's still a few things that I haven't been able to confirm, so there will be a few trial and errors.

I had read that the intake manifold has to be changed to an LS intake due to the size of the B20 intake manifold, it'll hit the hood. I hit up the junk yard and struck gold. I found an Integra LS. I snagged the manifold, fuel rail, throttle body, and luckily the ECU. About a week later I found someone who has done this swap into an EK and was able to close the hood. Unsure if he used hood spacers or not, but I'll find out. But due to the direction of the pull of the throttle plate spring, I would either have to change my throttle cable or the TB its self. Luckily I had the LS IM, so I put that TB on the B20 IM, and hoping for the best.

I started taking everything off the engine in order to replace or clean everything. Now the engine has been sitting for about 4 years, so I wanted to check everything still spun freely and no sludge build up. I replaced the oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, timing belt, water pump. I bought a new alternator, plugs, wires, cap, rotor. While I had the valve cover off, I sanded it down, cut the end off (left the top of the cam gears, just the face so you can see the gears), shaved off the Honda Motor Co., and painted it black. Then I painted the two top runners of the cover red. I also painted the 'torque chamber' on top the intake manifold black.

Now that my car is OBD2a, the engine is OBD2b, the distributor plug is different. The car has the ten pin, square plug, and the engine has the eight pin, rectangle plug. So my options were splice an 8 pin plug, buy an LS distributor, or change out the internals. Being that I like taking **** apart and putting it back together, I had an old Y7 distributor laying around. I noticed that all the sensors are in the same place as the B20's. The only difference is the blue RPM wire coming off the ICM. I swapped all the internals of the distributors, but still used the B20 spindle due to the angle of TDC. I'm hoping this works. I'll update when I get to starting it.

My next big hunt was for a transmission, half shaft, and shift linkage. I decided to go for an LS trans for the long fifth gear. Couldn't find one or one in good shape for about a week. I found a guy on a local Honda Facebook page with the trans, HS, and linkage. Under 100k on everything.

With the Y5, I have a 5 wire, wideband O2 sensor. So I'll have to spice in a 4 wire plug. On the bright side, it'll give me a little extra wire to run the plug to the back side of the motor, where the O2 bung is on the new header.

Since the CR-V this came from was automatic, I had to get the ECU out of the Teg, which worked out well since I don't need any OBD jumper. Also I had to buy a flywheel and clutch. I bought a 10lb flywheel, and a stage 1/OE clutch.

One day I'll be fully building it and putting a VTEC head on it.

I'll should be doing the swap Monday, so I'll post pics and updates as it comes along.
Attached Images