Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B20vtec build planning help

Old 06-12-2011, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default B20vtec build planning help

Hey in the next few days my final parts will be in and my b20v will be on the road and running.

as far as i know, everything on the motor/car is 100%

all works perfectly by oem standards. new waterpump/belts/fluids/oil-pump/air.fuel-filters/everything cleaned and connected, EVERYTHING perfect by oem standards.

I am trying to figure out the next best things for the car (things that cost $$)

my ultimate plan is build the motor up NA and powerful, then supercharge it as the FINAL thing.

what are some of the best things so spend hard-earned money on next?

should i keep upgrading the oem parts to better ones without performance gains? (like ARP rod bolts instead of oem... main studs (i already have head studs)

or should i jump right into performance upgrades? (intake/header/exhaust/valvesprings/retainers/valves...)

i want to build this car right, because i plan on swapping the motor into a CRX chassis (it's in a del sol right now) and this car is my DAILY DRIVER. I need it reliable. if this car has problems, i can't get to work.

i am a proficient mechanic and will be doing all the work myself. I have a complete set of tools and everything i need for tuning/building this car (except for a motor hoist, but that's a dif story....)

so what should i buy next? i need advice...

i'm thinkin
-security system and replace/key all lock cylinders cuz my locks are worn and don't all match..(but i live on a small island, aren't too many hondas stolen that i know of)
-OEM spec aftermarket upgrades (ARP rod bolts/main studs/extended wheel studs
-steering wheel w/locking hub (instead of security sys - so i can just take my wheel with me w/e i go..)
-bodywork and paintjob (i don't rly care how the car looks so waste of money imo...)
-what else?

and what order should i do my upgrades? i want to build this car RIGHT without shortcuts or half-***!ing anything

thanks HT!
Old 06-13-2011, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: B20vtec build planning help

Sleeve the block or at least put in a block guard.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i haven't heard many positive things abt a block guard, so i would go with sleeves. i think that's atleast a 1000 bucks because i don't know of anyone who does it locally. thanks dude any other ideas?
Old 06-13-2011, 01:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm cant find anywhere to sleeve my block. will keep looking.

also thinkin 630 for pwr door locks w/remote, handle shave, starter kills, one-touch windows etc etc all mainly convenience and security features. that could be an option.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bummmp what is the best investment into my new b20v del slo?

parts came in the mail today, headgasket arrives tomorrow then she's runnin...

security?
oem aftermarket upgrades? (arp bolts etc..)
suspension?
integra brakes?
Old 06-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm starting to consider a block guard but I heard they restrict coolant flow.. up do research.

Also wire the car up right. Door pops and shave the handles one touch Windows central locking trunk and hood release via remote starter kill alarm etc etc etc.

Or what else?, its a fresh b20vtec in a del sslo....
Old 06-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Word of advice for you: if you put an alarm on the sol, it will be worthless unless you put a sensor on the roof also. Someone can pry the door glass back and pop the top off really easy. When I had a del sol, I took the handles off the roof and kept them in the car so it would be harder to get into, but I could just slide the handles on and remove the top.

As far as the B20 block goes, all I've done so far is ARP rod bolts and head studs. I rev to 8200 with no problems so far (knock on wood). I also switched to ENEOS full synthetic 5w-40 and bought a magnetic drain plug and HAMP filters to keep it reliable.

Are you using a vtec kit with a sandwich plate, or did you have the machine work done for oil?
Old 06-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for oil delivery i used a blackworks racing sandwich plate and a steel braided line with AN aluminum fittings. it seems to be working, but i broke my knock sensor and the car won't go into vtec w/o knock sensor so who knows yet....

i am thinking main studs, and rod bolts, because that's a relatively easy job from the bottom (oil pan off, windage tray/oil pickup off, then rod/mainstud replacement)

and because the mainstuds and rod bolts are reusuable if i rebuild another b20v....

that's a very good tip about the del sol roof with alarm. how would i put an alarm sensor on the roof? i have actually broken into my car multiple times by prying the windows back and coat-hangaring the door locks open. I suppose if i had an alarm that armed a starter kill relay and fuel pump cutoff when the doors locked, that would work.

but then i can't have the doors wired to automatically lock when the key starts the car.. it gets complicated. thanks for the ideas !
Old 06-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When you unlatch the roof, there is a sensor that lights up the roof on the picture of the car on the gauge cluster. The sensor normally only works when the car is on, but if you wire it up with constant power, instead of working off the ignition switch, you basically have a hood pin for your roof.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the tip, good one dude.

it looks like i will be wiring up like 9 hidden kill switches, locking my car up at night, and sitting by the window stroking my gun all night - instead of a security sys.

for now i'm gonna focus on making the car as solid OEM as possible. (main studs and rod bolts/flywheel bolts/arp extended wheel studs)

basically just upgrade any weakpoints on the car, so i dont have to worry later on when i start upgrading cams/valves/compression etc etc

then it's time for a job and 98% of moneys go into the car (2% on ramen MMMMMM)
Old 06-25-2011, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol... ramen noodles ftw. Did I read correctly that you live on an island? Maui? Doesn't seem like you'd have much theft to worry about...
Old 06-26-2011, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

guess again buddy.

about 6 months ago I had 2 honda accord (second gen) stolen out of my front yard in one night. two cars in one night.

one of them had the window smashed (9 feet from my open window) and the other one was about 20 feet from the window. At the time there were 6ppl living in the house and no one heard anything.

both cars turned up later and and neither were mine but they were missing radios.. various parts, a turn signal... nothing too serious but still.

i actually just bought a new security system today :D 40bucks in 2 new locks for my gate
Old 06-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 99civicB20V
When you unlatch the roof, there is a sensor that lights up the roof on the picture of the car on the gauge cluster. The sensor normally only works when the car is on, but if you wire it up with constant power, instead of working off the ignition switch, you basically have a hood pin for your roof.
dei alarms makes a motion detector for alarms. mine was plug and play. #1 recommended in my book heres a link
http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.p...k-alarm-system
Old 06-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

heres a youtube link of how it works
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OQk3...eature=related
Old 06-30-2011, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey thanks for the info guys!

as of now the money is going toward OEM perfections.

I'm replacing ignition/door/trunk/glovebox/mapbox locks with new keys all the same.

also replacing axles.. and a few other things.

and puttin a few hundred into a tune.

thanks for the alarm tips, i'm doing that next.