Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default b20v/b16a head PCV system setup

Hey HT.

I have a b20z block from a 99 CRV.

and a b16a head from a 94 DelSlo VTEC.

I have assembled the motor and put it in my car with the VTEC oil kit etc.

The car will start and run, roughly. I currently have no PCV system on the car.

It runs too roughly to legalize/insure/drive and I need the PCV system figured out and installed first.

The reason the car has been sitting, this close to being my daily driver for 6months, is the PCV system.

I'm trying to figure it out and make it work.

Picture of the block \/ as you can see i have no plug for catch-can like the b16 block..

on the head/valve cover i have a hose nipple for 1/2" rubber hose.

on the intake manifold i have a hose nipple for 1/2" rubber hose.

What do i connect to where and how do i make it work (easy and cheapest)

when i figure this out I will post up a guide with pictures and instructions for the next guy, cuz i can't figure this out for the life of me.

THANKS SO MUCH MY B20VTEC WILL RUN SOON!
Old 04-28-2011, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b20v/b16a head PCV system setup

bummmp
Old 04-28-2011, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll have to hook that existing fitting on your valve cover to your intake pipe (best) or put a filter on it. Then, you'll probably have to get another fitting welded on to your valve cover and run that to the fitting on the intake manifold with an inline PCV valve in between. Nice job on the block.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chucky420
You'll have to hook that existing fitting on your valve cover to your intake pipe (best) or put a filter on it. Then, you'll probably have to get another fitting welded on to your valve cover and run that to the fitting on the intake manifold with an inline PCV valve in between. Nice job on the block.
Honda sells fittings that fit in those 14mm allen head plugs in the block. They goto the oil passages that goto the head.

Venting from there or the back of the block will do the same thing. Then either run a filter breather on your valvecover or run the line to the intake as usual.

Rather than drilling the valvecover you can get the nipples to screw in the block and run them to a catchcan -> PCV valve -> intake manifold and call it a day.

Pretty sure they're coolant fittings for an old prelude.
It's been covered on here hundreds of times. The search button is your friend.

Basically as long as you can get pressure out and fresh air into the crankcase without spilling oil everywhere you're good (those that don't have emissions checks).
Old 04-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i found the fittings, they are 30usd shipped with crush washers.

so those plugs cover ports which are connected to oil channels into the head. and there are more plugs in the same oil channels in the head. i can vent my block from either the head or block plugs..

i need a line from either [blockplugs/headplugs/drilled valve cover] going to a catchcan, going to a pcv valve (valve so block can vent but not suck in air) going to the intake manifold?

alright if that's right tell me i'll do it.

thanks. i thought it was more complicated.... i couldn't figure this out searching
Old 04-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you need any pics or videos of the stock b16a3 just let me know. My car is still completely stock and I very much enjoyed your build thread.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Markley02
If you need any pics or videos of the stock b16a3 just let me know. My car is still completely stock and I very much enjoyed your build thread.
thanks man, i appreciate that. when the car runs, i will have much more content posted. stay tuned.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mik101
Background:

The breather box doesnt exist on b20b (or 96+ b18b as stated) engines. There are two passages on the back of the block (the two 14mm HEX freeze plugs on the back of your block go into them. These passages run from the crankcase to the head/valvecover. The line from your intake to the valvecover (which you have blocked off it looks like) supplies clean air to the system. On the B20B head the PCV valve is in the valvecover with a line to the intake manifold. By doing it this way honda eliminated the breather box.

Fix:

You can get fittings that fit where those freeze plugs go, from Honda. They are a coolant fitting for an older prelude. One side has a half inch (or 12mm?) barb on it.
This is how most people build a custom PCV system for B20Vtec (and 96+ ls/vtec) motors. You can get one or two of these (two really is only needed with turbo motors IMO) and run that to a sealed 2 port catch can. The other side of the catch can runs to the pcv valve, and that line goes to the intake manifold like normal.
This mimmics the factory honda setup for other Bseries vtec engines. (You still need to provide clean air to the breather port on the valvecover with this setup)

[Not to confuse people, but you can also add additional ports to your valvecover to accomplish the same thing -- which is what I did on my engine]

Pretty much as long as the crankcase can relieve crankcase pressure, you're good -- but having the crankcase under vacuum will increase efficiency slightly. The purpose of the valve is only to keep there from being too much vacuum on the crankcase at idle/deceleration/part throttle. Without it, the oil consumption would likely be high under these conditions.

Ofcourse the easiest way is to just open the breather port on your valvecover to atmosphere and just let it vent that way (do not need a pcv valve, do not hook anything up to the intake manifold vacuum source).

The downside to this is that you dont get the (mild) benefit of having a vacuum on your crankcase at idle/cruise, its emissions illegal in most places, and you will probably get a little bit of oil vapor coming out of your valvecover (which would be completely normal with this setup).

I'd personally just do it this way for now until you have your other issues sorted out.

Good luck man.
found this in another thread. i think i'll order the prelude plugs..

from the block plugs > catch can > pcv valve > intake manifold

only thing i don't get is "The purpose of the valve is only to keep there from being too much vacuum on the crankcase at idle/deceleration/part throttle. Without it, the oil consumption would likely be high under these conditions."

wouldn't the valve allow vacuum to draw the vapors out of the block 24/7 to be reburned in the intake manifold?

how does the valve know what "too much" vacuum is?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 06-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a b20v and I'm using the ls pcv system on it. I have the hose nipple installed on the driver side rear of the block and the stock ls oil can on the right side hole. A hose running from the bottom of the can to the left side nipple and called it a day. I'm running the ls pcv valve and all. I dont seem to have any crank pressure problems at all. good luck...