Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B20b swap thread 1995 Civic VX Hatchback

Old 04-27-2019, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default B20b swap thread 1995 Civic VX Hatchback

Hay u guise!!!!!

Long time lurker, first time poster. I canít count the number of hours Iíve spent looking at H-T threads, covered in god-knows-what kind of fluids and solids mixture at 5% battery. (Then the AD redirect )

So Iíve got a ready-to-go high compression B20b, and a chipped ecu ready to drop in, just waiting on some help and the inspiration to knock out this minor refresh... that is the TB+WP+ handful of seals... without my brothers help. His engine just blew in the Audi he was driving while he fixes his Hondas (plural).

I always wanted to make a Honda-Tech thread, and while I was at it, I decided it would be nice to throw together an updated and detailed build thread including my initial cost estimate, and my actual cost, and the difficulties I faced along the way. Iíve used every other thread about the topic (B20b swap) I could possibly find with my expert Google-fu, and, well, they were all lacking in certain areas. To anyone looking to perform this swap, let me be your thousand dollar guinea pig.
My initial budget was $1150-$1350 and Iím sitting at about $2,070, if I sell all my D series parts thatís about $500 off, so around $1500 all said and done.

This car was a bone stock 95 civic VX hatch to start, 198k miles. The previous owner had let a pack of beach bum dogs live in it for a button and penny a week for what seemed 10 years. Entire inside COATED with fur and dead skin/dirt buildup and sand. I had a blown 95 EX coupe with side damage which I fortunately kept long enough to swap over the entire interior, door panels, dash, steering column, power windows, locks, mirrors, fenders, hood, and the entire suspension with the sway bar. Went from one speaker to six. Eventually (soon) I got a brand new ultra nylon plus backing carpet for $338, used headliner off a FaceBook group $40, genuine 1995 black CARGO COVER $140 off eBay, mud flaps $40 eBay, also 2.5Ē eBay exhaust $90, and I fixed the dreaded hatch leak and bondo/siliconed the entire roof body trim and windshield gasket. Now it only leaks on the trunk line seal into the spare tire well (below the carpet!) More silicone use is anticipated.

So after the body and maintenance was taken care of, my goal was to make a super sweet super sleeper civic (IM EVEN GONNA RESTORE THE VX BADGE LMFAO). What I tell my wife and parents is that I ďjust want to run AC with a car full of passengers, and cargo, uphill, merging onto the highwayĒ.

So without further a do, here is my purchase list.

Only thing left to do is the timing belt, water pump, crankshaft seal, rear main seal, cam shaft seals, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket and spark plug seals, transmission axle seals, and install the 9lb flywheel, stage 2 clutch (15% more grab force), pressure plate, and adjust the valve lash.

Then comes the easy part!!! Dropping that sucker in.

id say the most important part to this entire swap is make sure you have a usable harness (z6 harness in this case, YAS ready for GSR Head in future), and multiple intake manifolds to cannibalize for sensors and the right fuel delivery setup.

it would definitely have been easier to source an entire b18b swap and just sell the longblock.

and for stealth I am using the d series shifter on the b series linkage (I added 2 spark plug holder rubber o shaped gaskets at the base to aid stability and decrease vibration)

also heres a couple other pics of the car

Old 04-28-2019, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B20b swap thread 1995 Civic VX Hatchback

Thats not a good way to fix those hinges

If you really want to get it moving something with shorter gears will def help put the power to the wheels

Lookin good so far but my main concern would be that repair you just did.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018 View Post
Thats not a good way to fix those hinges

If you really want to get it moving something with shorter gears will def help put the power to the wheels

Lookin good so far but my main concern would be that repair you just did.
Thanks for the reply. I understand itís not ideal. I was developing a mold problem and rust in other areas. Iíd say my repair is somewhere between duct tape, and actual welding more sheet metal there. The hinges move freely and are much more reinforced. I definitely want to tear down into it again one day and do it completely properly, but thatís time and money I donít have now.

Yeah youíre right. But un-abused B series transmissions are hard to come by. I wanted to keep the gas mileage, and I feel like the LS will help convert RPMs to road speed better. Iím thinking traction will be a problem so if I did do some launches 2nd gear might be my best bet. Lose a gear change or two and thatís a car length. Plus that engine only revs to 7200 so I donít wanna get there in a hurry. More time with the power down and in the power band.
Although a b16 trans would be absolutely nuts and definitely way faster.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A gsr is in the middle but you can always down shift in the LS if need be. Just don't red line it. Yes, a high compression b20 is ideal for these lightweight hatchbacks. Hopefully you're able to identify one before buying it.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thatís another thing to include in my thread - verifying that you do receive an actual high compression model.
I just made sure there was a knock sensor, and the casting shows the correct year. I may be reading it wrong but the head seems to have been casted in 1999 and the block 1998. I had a change to get the P8R version but I decided to keep it simple and servicable and stick with the p75 head.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also it was pretty difficult finding a JDM b20b for the right price. Side note, you canít rely on the high intake manifold. So I called every importer I could find. I live near Winston Salem so I was calling as far away as New Jersey. They only wanted $400, a couple local places said $950 (wow) so I settled on $550 and drove the hour and a half to charlotte.

Importers also dont ever stock LS transmissions even though they arenít too expensive. That had to be sourced off of a FB group. I just verified zero shaft play, no fluids leaking, and rotating the shaft in each gear and making sure it moved smoothly. Hopefully this trans works out (crosses fingers).

Thatís another thing to make sure of too - that your transmission has all its sensors undamaged.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dang seems like my last post is waiting approval and this one sent right through. Sorry for the disconnect. Maybe the picture flagged approval necessary idk
Old 04-28-2019, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I see it. GL with the build.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018 View Post
I see it. GL with the build.
thanks tony!!
Old 04-28-2019, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Where you had to cut the carpet, you can punch some holes near the edges and use some zip ties to hold the pieces together if youíd like/need to since all that will be covered up anyway.

Old 04-28-2019, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Freedo_Civegra View Post
Where you had to cut the carpet, you can punch some holes near the edges and use some zip ties to hold the pieces together if youíd like/need to since all that will be covered up anyway.

I actually used permatex headliner/carpet adhesive. It works pretty well if you spray both contact surfaces and let it get a bit tacky first (as per directions). That would have been less messy though!
Old 04-28-2019, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whatever works.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alrighty so the 20ftlb spec for cam holder bolts is for GSR only!!
LS/B20 is only 7.2 ft lbs. just a heads up
Old 04-29-2019, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EG_SleepWerks View Post
Alrighty so the 20ftlb spec for cam holder bolts is for GSR only!!
LS/B20 is only 7.2 ft lbs. just a heads up
You snapped one off, didnít you?
Old 04-29-2019, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Freedo_Civegra View Post
You snapped one off, didnít you?
Dude I sure did. I was pretty mad for a minute but weíll see how the ďeasy outĒ drill bit works tomorrow evening. Iíll grab another bolt before work from the junkyard integra I murdered to get the timing cover bracket off.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looking forward to following your build!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: