Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b20b in eg cranks but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 01:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 b20b in eg cranks but wont start

Okay so I have read and read so I'm just gonna post my problem I have completly swapped in my stock b20b in my eg it cranks and turns over but won't start I have checked the firing order spark is good and its getting fuel compression is good but it won't start when I first tried turning it on I had the firing order wrong and it started up but it misfired and backfired so I immediatly turned it off so I'm thinking now that I switched it back to the right firing order I might have fouled the timing so if any one has any ideas on what it could be or how to check or change the timing I would greatly appreciate it my poor eg hatch has been sitting and I want to see the difference from a d16z6 to a b20b thanks ht dudes
Old 03-06-2010, 02:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b20b in eg cranks but wont start

I was also wondering if it could be my ignition coil because I got a used one of some dude on craigslist so nehelp wor info would help me on my way to finally taking the eg for a spin
Old 03-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah no help but if it was a stupid *** "what do you think is better a b16 or b18 " ques. every ****en kno-it-all what have some stupid input thanks for nothing ht
Old 03-09-2010, 12:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey man, I would definitely double check your timing. It's hard to diagnose cars over the internet, but if you're gettin fuel/spark and would go ahead and check the timing.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.2carpros.com/first_things...wont_start.htm
Old 03-09-2010, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon5 Re: b20b in eg cranks but wont start

thanks boosted k for the info ill check it and thanks chris for the link im gonna run some diagnostics right now
Old 03-09-2010, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your welcome!
Old 03-10-2010, 02:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay so I checked my timing and its dead on now I'm thinking it could be the icm on the dizzy I have the ls ecu but I forgot to say when I initially started it with the incorrect firing order I had a p28 ecu connected and after it started n misfired I changed the ecu to a p75 and rearranged to the correct firing order any info guys and once again thanks for the info chris I checked the link and used the animated diagram to check to the vavles and they were dead on as well as the distributor I have it directly pointing to the number on sprk plug wire when the engine is at tdc
Old 03-12-2010, 02:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so any ideas anybody also i rechecked my pulley and i couldnt find the marks for the tdc or timing since the pulley was rusted wondering if anyone seen or has some pics so i can use them as reference cause when i checked for tdc i did it old school and used a plumb drop on the number 1 piston for its height but i think it would be best if i had a pic of an actual pulley since the only thing i can make out is four dots on the side of the pulley
Old 03-17-2010, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay let me summorize this first i found the timing marks on the crank pulley just wire brushed the crank till i found them and the pointer was pointing towards the middle line on the three lines that are together which at first i thought was correct however after posting some ques. on here i changed it to the tdc line which is a the mark by itself to the left than i had the problem of finding the tdc for the cam gears for those newbs like me its when the holes line up not on the actual gear but on the cam shaft right behind it with a slot on the block so i lined those up since my cams didnt have a hairline notch like the ls (dont know if it was because its a jdm block or the year but its a pr8 head) so anyways i lined those up with the single timing mark on the crank pulley and assemble the block back than turned it on and it fired up on the first crank with no apparent issues so i guess it was the timing hope this helps some other newb like me out there simple yet complicated ahah a hell of alot different than an R6 block damn things dont have distributors and everything is independatly operated down twelve plate when i scrape yeeeahh thanks alot ht members solved my issue and time to hit the pavement peace..
Old 03-17-2010, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good to hear it started! Lemme know how your drive is! =P
Old 03-18-2010, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah for sure just need a throttle cable and a valve cover gasket than ill be ready to let her rip but after i get her running im gonna save some cash for the ge b20v kit since i still have my old gsr head and the 600 ebay turbo kit should be fun not lookin to boost all crazy just need it to feel a lil something like the R6 but so far so good thanks for the input helped me out on identifing the timing issue i knew it couldnt be right so i just kept researching till i finally got the answers and put in the wrench time