Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b20+vtec question.........

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b20+vtec question.........

i know this has been asked i million times but i wanna know for shure from people who have done it already.....would it be a good idea to just mount a vtec head b16 b18 on a my stock b20 block now ive heard everything how b20 isnt made for vtec it has thin clinder walls etc etc...but if anybody who has done it or doing it and is successfull give input that would be appreciated cause in either gonna spend money to do it or just buy a gsr swap for like 800-900 from my boy.......
Old 03-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b20+vtec question......... (slowB20ej8)

The B20 doesnt have thin cylinder walls. No you cannot just throw a vtec head on the B20. The piston vavle reliefs are to shallow. You also need a vtec conversion kit. switching out the rod bolts would also be a good idea. Please search.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:13 PM

Default Re: b20+vtec question......... (smileycvc)

ive done reserch....i had a ls vtech that had the golden eagle oil filter adapter plate in my car from the previous owner that blew like 2 months later stupid on my part but what eva,i know you need a vtec adapter kit and you need to tap the head but i was looking for peoples OPIONIONS!! who have done it not for some guy/girl to tell me to press the search button....thank you but im only looking for opionions and input on the correct legit process...
Old 03-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b20+vtec question......... (slowB20ej8)

smileycvc is right. you'll need a vtec conversion kit to add the extra oil lines. and it would be good idea to change the rod bolts. it wouldnt be good to just throw a vtec head on there unless you want it to blow in like a couple days.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b20+vtec question......... (JdM_Eg6_SiiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowB20ej8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive done reserch....i had a ls vtech that had the golden eagle oil filter adapter plate in my car from the previous owner that blew like 2 months later stupid on my part but what eva,i know you need a vtec adapter kit and you need to tap the head but i was looking for peoples OPIONIONS!! who have done it not for some guy/girl to tell me to press the search button....thank you but im only looking for opionions and input on the correct legit process...</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you took the time and looked at my sig I think you would have realized I have done this before. If your intrested in the process than you could have searched and found this thread

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1676914

If you want an opinon then I would say that yes a B20 vtec is worth it. If you want to do it right it will cost money not a whole lot, but it takes some work to make them reliable.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you cant just throw the head on like it was lsv????? and when i mean just throw it on i mean the lsv/b20v kit and the whole 9 but still its stock so why not??? stock = reliable all you have to do is check the piston to valve clearance and if thats good then your good to go i see b20v's bone stock people just throw the head on it and run it stock and its reliable
Old 03-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b20+vtec question......... (Midori Green)

my b20b block is completely stock with a completely stock b16 head and its been fine.

the only thing is dont go any higher than 8000 rpm maybe even 7500 to be extra safe because the b20 blocks stock redline is much lower. The power increase will never compare to as if you actually build the block, but i know numerous peeps that have done it stock on stock and dont lose reliability.....valve clearance is only an issue when you mod like pistons and cams.

they say its not really worth it if you dont build but im happy for now with a 4 carlength gain in 1/4 mile, ill build later when its needed.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:37 PM

Default Re: b20+vtec question......... (7601chexplicit)

yup thats exactly what i said... when the head and block are both stock piston to valve clearance should be fine... but still make sure u check it out when throwing that vtec head on
Old 03-10-2008, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Midori Green &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so you cant just throw the head on like it was lsv????? and when i mean just throw it on i mean the lsv/b20v kit and the whole 9 but still its stock so why not??? stock = reliable all you have to do is check the piston to valve clearance and if thats good then your good to go i see b20v's bone stock people just throw the head on it and run it stock and its reliable</TD></TR></TABLE>

Putting two different motors together is not stock. If you rev over the stock b20 rev limiter your going to stretch the rod bolts and eventually spin a bearing. It wont happen over night but it will happen. There are also a few other differences. Did you even take the time to look at the link I posted? It probably would have answered all the questions you asked.

The way the B20 sleeves are made isnt really a good design either they are not meant to be beat on they crack easy under detonation or flex. yes there are alot of people that have b20s on stock sleeves making power and running strong, but they take the time to build things right and replace things that need to be replaced. Its not just a slap the head on and go kinda thing.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can go with the b16 head over the b20 block,but you need to change pistons because the valves may kiss the piston,so it may safely put forward that changing pistons is the only way to reach high rpm with no prob.KMS,JE piston are shops which make custom pistons to suit your block.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:16 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smileycvc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Putting two different motors together is not stock. If you rev over the stock b20 rev limiter your going to stretch the rod bolts and eventually spin a bearing. It wont happen over night but it will happen. There are also a few other differences. Did you even take the time to look at the link I posted? It probably would have answered all the questions you asked.

The way the B20 sleeves are made isnt really a good design either they are not meant to be beat on they crack easy under detonation or flex. yes there are alot of people that have b20s on stock sleeves making power and running strong, but they take the time to build things right and replace things that need to be replaced. Its not just a slap the head on and go kinda thing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i totally understand... i have a b20z (not in car yet) and i wanna go vtec but i wasnt even planning on touching the block whats the most important thing i should do to the block can i just throw some arp rod bolts on and acl bearings??? and yes i read the link but like i said im not building the bottom end and its a bit general for me so just wanted to know at the least what i should replace on the block?

Modified by Midori Green at 10:36 AM 3/11/2008

Modified by Midori Green at 10:37 AM 3/11/2008
Old 03-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know how much this will help but something that we all need to remember is that Rome wasn't built in a day. I have a friend with a bad *** B20VTEC setup and he took about a year putting everything together before he installed the VTEC conversion on his B20.

I can't remember what pistons and rods he's running but they're not stock, I do know that he's running a GSR crank and stronger head bolts. Another thing that's already been mentioned is that the B20 stock internals aren't made for high rpm so you want to beef those up to handle the high-flowing VTEC head you'll be installing. All you want the B20 block for is the larger displacement. Think of it as buying a B18 block that's already bored over to a 2.0L without the expense of a machine shop. Do the VTEC converision, install some stronger internals and she's ready for abuse.

There are plenty of options when performing this swap and there isn't just one correct way to do it. But, if you make wise decisions and don't cheap out on your parts, you'll have a motor you won't have to mess with for years.

I'm warning you now: The one cheap part you install on this swap is the one that will have you calling a tow truck.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:02 PM

Default Re: b20+vtec question......... (RoadRage212)

can anybody answer my question??
Old 03-11-2008, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Midori Green &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can anybody answer my question??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just like that link said you should replace the rod bolts and install headstuds. I would also replace timing belt, tensioner, water pump, and oil pump. If you plan on replacing bearings I wouldnt use ACL. You keep saying your not going to touch the block, but bearings and rod bolts are the block.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:01 PM

yea i decided im not gonna touch the internals at all i already have the vtec oil/water pumps and new timing belt and cometic 84mm .040 thick head gasket for better piston to valve clearance now on the head only mod is cam gears for timing and im setting the rev limiter to 8k.... done should be very reliable specially tuned
Old 03-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You might want to be careful with that 8k rev limiter. Also all 96 and up oil pumps are the same vtec or non vtec.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:36 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smileycvc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You might want to be careful with that 8k rev limiter. Also all 96 and up oil pumps are the same vtec or non vtec. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i was told by an engine builder that the 8k rev limiter is more than safe for this particular setup and remember its a b20z block not a b20b the b20z block has a higher rev limit

Modified by Midori Green at 11:30 PM 3/11/2008
Old 03-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Midori Green &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i was told by an engine builder that the 8k rev limiter is more than safe for this particular setup and remember its a b20z block not a b20b the b20z block has a higher rev limit

Modified by Midori Green at 11:30 PM 3/11/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

No actually it has higher compression. Same rods and rod bolts.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:20 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smileycvc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No actually it has higher compression. Same rods and rod bolts. </TD></TR></TABLE>

so the rev limit would be the same????? i thought with the higher compression would come a higher rev limit
Old 03-11-2008, 11:24 PM

well heres my setup to be =

b20z stock block with vtec oil/water pumps and new timing belt
stock b16 head with arp headstuds
cam gears to adjust timing
new cometic 84mm .040 headgasket (I'd rather lose CR than smack a valve)
set rev limiter to 8k

thats it with this setup i should be fine on my daily reliable and still fun to drive

should i port and polish the head and throw new valve seals and cam seals on it before i throw it on????
Old 03-12-2008, 02:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Midori Green &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

should i port and polish the head and throw new valve seals and cam seals on it before i throw it on????</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you have money for headwork, I would use that toward rod bolts. They arent that hard to swap out just drop the oil pan.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:45 AM

If you have money for headwork, I would use that toward rod bolts. They arent that hard to swap out just drop the oil pan. </TD></TR></TABLE>

just drop the oil pan and torque them on????? i thought you have to take the rods out because the arp rod bolts arent a direct fit
Old 03-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah your right I forgot about that.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:00 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smileycvc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah your right I forgot about that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i was looking at these pistons they come with ARIAS piston rings http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW

but they would bring my CR to almost 12:1 so i really dont wanna get up there on my daily bro i would barely be able to run pump gas

Modified by Midori Green at 12:25 PM 3/12/2008
Old 03-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I ran 12.5:1 on my b20 on 92 octane. It all depends on how good your tuner is.

Quick Reply: b20+vtec question.........