Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b20 vtec buildup on del slo vtec

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default b20 vtec buildup on del slo vtec

hey I have a 94 del slo VTEC. I want more power and I have decided on how to get it. I am going to do a b20 block on my motor, and I've done a lot of searching and researching to figure this out. My stock motor is a b16a3. I'm trying to figure out what parts i'll need so I can start this project next weekend when my car is in the garage and I don't have to drive it for a few days.

From what I've found out - I need a b20z block from a 96+ honda crv. It doesn't matter if the crv is manual or automatic. I can use the b16a3 head and bottom end for the build. All I need is the b20z block. I can use my stock b16a3 manual tranny without modification. My ECU will work fine for the b20vtec build, I just need to get it tuned right when I build it. I will need steel braided lines to get oil from my bottom end to the head where the vtec switch is. I will need a new headgasket for the b20z block so my b16a3 head can bolt onto it. All the bolts from my b16a3 will work for connecting the block/head. The pistons from my b16a3 will work fine in the b20z block. The timing belt from my b16a3 will work fine with the b20z block. My hood will still close normally when I'm done. The cooling system for the b16a3 will be adequate to cool the frankenstein motor.

^^^ Are there any false statements in that paragraph? ^^^

I don't want to take everything apart then realize that something isn't going to work out and have to wait a week for the parts to show up to continue. I want to get all the parts and a few good guides in front of me, with a case of beer, good tunes, cannabis, cigarettes, my tools, and some cute kittens for stress relieval. I want to put all the parts in correctly, then start the car and have it run on the first try. From there I can take it down and get it tuned locally.

plz don't tell me I need a bunch of bolt-ons to make it work. I have stock everything, stock headers, stock exhaust, stock intake, stock injectors. (completely stock) I'm trying to get more power out of my motor with this cheap setup, and when I have more money I'll be getting a whale ***** intake/headers/exhaust/etc etc etc. Until I get a better job, everything will be staying stock on the car.

thanks so much for the guidance, I'm going to keep reading b20vtec guides and keep trying to piece the process together in my head. I don't like snags, I want everything to work out perfectly. It's all in the planning...

and btw my car has 164,000 miles on it. And it runs perfectly.

any words?
Old 09-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: b20 vtec buildup on del slo vtec

bumpweaseliness

bumpity bump bump. in tha trunk
Old 09-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ehhhh there's a little more to this than just a simple disassemble, reassemble process.

For instance, you will need a b20/vtec or ls/vtec conversion kit such as this one made by golden eagle (at the bottom of the page)

http://www.kingmotorsports.com/categ...at=5&pagenum=2

I would get top and bottom end gasket kits, as well as all new bearings, and new rings.

Also the b20z has an 84mm bore and your b16 is 81.5mm, so the stock pr3 pistons will not work, as well as if it were in theory you would be de-stroking the motor with the b16 rods/pistons so you would not be making the power you think you might be, atleast not until about 12,000rpm.

I support your idea, it just needs to be thought out a bit more. Get a whole b20 bottom end, and go with a nice set of domed pistons, maybe a CR of 10.5 or 10.9 if you still want a decent streetable DD.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well to start off you will need to get a b20 bottom end that is complete and has crank rods, piston main caps, oil pan... Because non of the the bottom end stuff will work on the b20 from ur b16. And yes the b20 has a bore of 84 mm and the b16 has 81 mm. Also you will need ARP head studs from b16 to b20, the head gasket must be for the b20 and the timing belt should either be from a b20 or ls if ur using the b20 water pump. Oil lines will also be need from either the oil filter is screwed on that golden eagle allows ur to or the oil pressure switch to the head. Injectors from ur b16 will work and also all the sensors will work from ur head too. And no it doenst matter if u get the b20 from an automatic crv jus use ur b16 flywheel and clutch and bolt ur b16 tranny to it and if u have any other question pm me or jus post ill come back and look.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What brand piston would be a good upgrade for daily and weekend warrior for a b20vtec?