Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B20 swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B20 swap

ok over some time i have saved up 2,500 to do a swap i have looked into the b20 vtec swap i have searched and found out alot but i wanna talk to someone who has done this swap or has it or just knows a **** load about it. How much does it normally cost to put this in a civic 96-ex without labor i have already pulled my own motor out and my friends all work at honda so i dont have to worry about labor fees , what mounts do i need to replace what ecu do i use ,can i use mine i just wanna know some more basics from a different source, thank you
Old 01-21-2005, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B20 swap (Rhythm Racer)

well cause your car is OBD2 you may want to convert to OBD1. you can do this by using a OBD2-OBD1 jumper harness. witch then you can use a p28 and have it chipped for your setup and or best way is to get a standalone like hondata, AEM ems and or uberdata For mounts you will wnat 99-00 si i do belive and same for shift linkage. and depending on what tranny and intermediate shaft you have will tell you what axles you use. upper and lower radiator hose will need to be chnaged i think. umm not sure thats pretty much it. if you wnat info on the motor itself then i may be able to help

kevron
Old 01-21-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Re: B20 swap (IAmTheRealKevron)

thanks man, lets say i cant afford to do the vtec right away can i ride with the b20 head and intake manifold, also when i do go vtec which is safe for redline without the block being built, and how should i go about building the block . oh and i want a gsr tranny
Old 01-21-2005, 11:36 AM
I'm a Jackass

Default Re: B20 swap (IAmTheRealKevron)

you need si motor mount(drivers side), si back mount, the trans you could use the stock and the rest. as far as ecu goes you would be better off gettin like hondata or obd1. but if you want to stick with obd2 then geta like a gsr or type r ecu. Im doin the same swap
Old 01-21-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: B20 swap (stormy)

im already selling my stuff i dont really want an h22 i have not herd that many great things about them
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1105651

Modified by Rhythm Racer at 1:39 PM 1/21/2005
Old 01-21-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Re: B20 swap (turbofienD 04)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbofienD 04 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you need si motor mount(drivers side), si back mount, the trans you could use the stock and the rest. as far as ecu goes you would be better off gettin like hondata or obd1. but if you want to stick with obd2 then geta like a gsr or type r ecu. Im doin the same swap </TD></TR></TABLE>

hey man keep in touch let me know how it goes and ill do the same
Old 01-21-2005, 01:20 PM

Turbo your D16 and you will easily smoke b-series swaps. B20's aren't that great anyways.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B20 swap (beerbongskickass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Turbo your D16 and you will easily smoke b-series swaps. B20's aren't that great anyways.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Represent, represent.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:31 PM
I'm a Jackass

Default Re: B20 swap (mwieczorek43)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rhythm Racer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey man keep in touch let me know how it goes and ill do the same</TD></TR></TABLE>
will do but still need more parts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Turbo your D16 and you will easily smoke b-series swaps. B20's aren't that great anyways.</TD></TR></TABLE>

not when it's b20vtec turbo
Old 01-21-2005, 04:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbofienD 04 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not when it's b20vtec turbo </TD></TR></TABLE>

I will just wait until he cracks a sleeve and then race him.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:46 PM

Single cam is poop its like having one nut hehehe.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Re: B20 swap (conFusedEG)

SOHC is the way to go.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haven't we gone over this Peter?

You're looking at $800 + Shipping for a B20 Longblock from a reputable website, but look around at some junkyards and maybe you can find one cheaper. Don't quote me on this, but I believe you use an LS Intake manifold when putting a B20 in your car. The GS-R transmission will probably run you around 1000, but again search, maybe you'll find one for around 800. On the other hand, why do you want a GS-R tranny? Do you plan on going boost or all motor? If you're going to go all-motor, look into getting a B-16 transmission from an Si...shorter gear ratios will get you going faster in a shorter amount of time. As for engine management, I don't think your stock ECU is going to cut it for the B20...look into getting an LS ecu for the time being before you go VTEC...you can probably find one cheap and get an OBD-2 one (96+ Integra) so you don't have to worry about a conversion harness.

As for building the block, if you don't want to get it sleeved look into some forged rods and a piston of your choice, paired up with some new OEM Honda bearings and some ARP fasteners, she should be pretty strong. I personally like Eagle products. Again, if you're going all-motor look into replacing the head gasket with a thinner unit from Cometic when it's time to put your VTEC head on. I'll help you look around for a B16 head on here, probably get one for around 400-500 nearly complete. When you put the head on is when you should be thinking OBD-1. Get a conversion harness from user "Kenjii" on here (He's over in Tampa, does nice work for cheap) and get yourself a used P28 Ecu from a 92-95 Civic Ex/Si. Brendan should be able to help you out with a chip via Uberdata like what they did with whats his name's car (Silver Teg, [embarrassed I can't remember his name ])

Remember to take into consideration the maintenence stuff that's going to need to be done while your building this motor like the clutch, timing belt, water pump, sensors, ect.

Good luck, I'll look around on here for a head for you (I'm on this site wayyy too much looking for a new car). And hit me up sometime, I think a trip back down to SoFlo is in order sometime soon
Old 01-21-2005, 09:45 PM

Default Re: B20 swap (lax1185)

wow man even you just broke it down so well for me, thanks for you time in doing that but anyways it sucks you wen tback north to the NY ill probably start buying **** this week when i get every thing i think you should come down and help with the swap if i have any money left over i will help pay for the ticket.thanks alot bro
Old 01-21-2005, 09:46 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbofienD 04 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
will do but still need more parts

not when it's b20vtec turbo </TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah what parts do you have
Old 01-21-2005, 10:31 PM

Allright speaking from experience and giving you my honest opinion Doing a swap will bring about hidden expenses and tough situations that most people never mention when talking about a swap. Especially the guy who says he is doing a b20VTEC-T setup he better have plenty of cash around and even more patience. The biggest cost is the smallest parts so when entering into a task like this be sure you have the proper resources to complete it.

Check out password and look for the b20 that has higher compression and an intake mani that isnt all weird like the crv one...they do exist my friend bought one. that alone mated to a gsr tranny (which by the way has shorter ratios than b16) hauls ***. definetly get a obd2 to obd1 conv. harness and get any kind of ecu chipped for uberdata and go from there that will be the best bet.

Obviously this is an opinion so take it with a grain of salt but since i just finished an lsvtec build from the ground up along with swapping all parts from civic to teg it is fresh in my mind.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Re: B20 swap (timesnap)

Actually the B16 tranny has shorter gearing than the GSR tranny.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:35 AM

yeah the b16 tranny does have shorter gears then the gs-r tranny but i have been in alot of cars with the gs-r tranny and the b16 tranny and im pretty sure i like the gs-r better, imho i think the b16 is too short and the gs-r is just right. but thats just my own opinion.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, the GS-R gears are a little longer, so if you want to go fast, that's it. But if you're looking for sprints of speed, B16 is the way to go. If you want though, gt the GSR transmission and if later down the line you want to upgrade, you can get an ATS 4.9 FD and you'll be set
Old 01-22-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Re: B20 swap (lax1185)

Sorry, but no. All things the same and traction provided the B16 tranny will out accelerate the GSR tranny. A GSR would be a nice street/strip tranny because the rpms aren't as bad in 5th gear on the freeway, but if you don't care about cruising and will be at the track a lot and want to go fast the B16 tranny is the way to go.

Read up guys... http://www.evans-tuning.com/viewtopic.php?t=1496
Old 01-22-2005, 01:49 PM

sohc turbo = i'm on doing a d15b turbo setup
Old 01-22-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Re: B20 swap (stormy)

Nice dyno charts... too bad the b20 sleeves and h22 ringlands suck for boost. We all know N/A hondas are slow.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a b20z2 pulled straight from a CRV in my 96 integra... I was very pleased.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Re: B20 swap (Nataku)

very nice dyno charts, making me second guess i just want fast. As for beer bongskickass i have done the SOHC thing i wanna move on , and trust me i have seen way to many boosted single cams get ripped by DOHC setups with not much done.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry, but no. All things the same and traction provided the B16 tranny will out accelerate the GSR tranny. A GSR would be a nice street/strip tranny because the rpms aren't as bad in 5th gear on the freeway, but if you don't care about cruising and will be at the track a lot and want to go fast the B16 tranny is the way to go.

Read up guys... http://www.evans-tuning.com/viewtopic.php?t=1496</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's exactly what I was saying...

Nice numbers on that H22 though

Quick Reply: B20 swap