Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b20 on EG heating up.???

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 07:16 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b20 on EG heating up.???

i just did my swap. and my car has been heating up.

i bought a water pump. but it's a hassle to replace it.

and one of my friends told me that my water system probably just has air in it and the pump cant circulate any water.

the D series motor has a bleeding bolt on the top hose connection. but where does the b20 have that.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: b20 on EG heating up.??? (mustang5.slow)

Usually when you swap and have to disconnect coolant lines and such the thermostat gets jammed. I'd start there since it's only like 12 bucks and most likely the problem.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mustang5.slow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just did my swap. and my car has been heating up.

i bought a water pump. but it's a hassle to replace it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
All right, there, chief. "You" did your swap and you claim that a water pump is a pain in the *** to change? Try to burp the system. If that doesn't work, flush out your system and make sure to keep it circulating properly when you fill it back up.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:54 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: b20 on EG heating up.??? (hatchling37)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchling37 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
All right, there, chief. "You" did your swap and you claim that a water pump is a pain in the *** to change? Try to burp the system. If that doesn't work, flush out your system and make sure to keep it circulating properly when you fill it back up. </TD></TR></TABLE>
how do i properly flush out the system and how do i properly fill it back up.????

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Usually when you swap and have to disconnect coolant lines and such the thermostat gets jammed. I'd start there since it's only like 12 bucks and most likely the problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i took out the thermostat because of the problem but it continues.

how can i varify if the problem is the water pump.???
Old 06-25-2007, 11:40 AM
* B A N N E D *

BTW would an automatic cars radiator on my car cause it to be overheating.???
Old 06-25-2007, 12:41 PM
* B A N N E D *

bump please help.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:30 PM
* B A N N E D *

Kmon guys
Old 06-25-2007, 03:31 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What radiator are you using?
Old 06-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: b20 on EG heating up.??? (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mustang5.slow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BTW would an automatic cars radiator on my car cause it to be overheating.???</TD></TR></TABLE>

Doubtful, both the manual and the automatic radiator seem to be the same - they both have the nipples at the bottom for the trans lines - but only the automatic transmissions utilize them.

It's real simple, is the coolant moving around? Pull the cap off and see if it's bubbling around.

Also, look at the belt to the water pump, is it spinning the spindle? Usually the "axle" between the spindle and the impeller doesn't break....so take a look at it...

You said you took out the thermostat...did you just remove it and see what happens, or did you just remove it and see if it's jammed...or what? Pull the housing, pull the thermostat out, then put the housing back on, and see if that does it (so there's no thermostat in the system).
Old 06-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: b20 on EG heating up.??? (Syndacate)

Well, My thoughts were if he was using his SOHC radiator on his DOHC engine.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:15 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: b20 on EG heating up.??? (ek forever guy)

well i cant tell weather the thermostat works or not. but i put it back in yesterday ant the bottom hose stood cool while the top hose ws hot and the car heated up.

the car does not heat up any more...but the reason for this is because i have the fan running constantly.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Doubtful, both the manual and the automatic radiator seem to be the same - they both have the nipples at the bottom for the trans lines - but only the automatic transmissions utilize them.

It's real simple, is the coolant moving around? Pull the cap off and see if it's bubbling around.

Also, look at the belt to the water pump, is it spinning the spindle? Usually the "axle" between the spindle and the impeller doesn't break....so take a look at it...

You said you took out the thermostat...did you just remove it and see what happens, or did you just remove it and see if it's jammed...or what? Pull the housing, pull the thermostat out, then put the housing back on, and see if that does it (so there's no thermostat in the system).</TD></TR></TABLE>

well yes the coolant bubbles up does that mean that it is working. cause i thought it meant it wasn't.???

how does the fan get triggered to turn on...the reason i ask is because it doesn't turn on at all when ij have no thermostat in the car.?? if i buy a functioning thermostat will the fan start engaging.???

BTW than you guys.

and good pint about the nipples on the radiator. (LOL you said nipples...lol)
Old 06-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1.) put the thermostat back in. It's there for a reason.

2.) let the car warm up to operating temperature and then open the radiator - carefully - and allow it to burp out any air that might be in it. You can take this time to gently squeaze the hoses to move around any air bubbles. Make sure your heater controls are in the "hot" position so the heater core has fluid circulating through it.

3.) why did you buy a water pump if you weren't going to replace it? Better yet, why did you buy one and not replace it while the engine was out of the car?

4.) are you leaking any coolant?

5.) how hot is it getting and how quickly?
Old 06-26-2007, 03:24 PM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mustang5.slow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Auto and manual radiators interchange...no problem
Re-install your thermostat!
Find the upper hose fitting from an Integra,it'll have the bleeder nipple you're looking for.The reason the CRV motor does not have the bleeder nipple is because the top of the radiator in a CRV is higher than the top of the engine
</TD></TR></TABLE>

some guy(zskip62) gave this answer on yahoo answewrs. i just thought I'd share this with another local HT member looking for that nipple as well.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:29 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: b20 on EG heating up.??? (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1.) put the thermostat back in. It's there for a reason.

2.) let the car warm up to operating temperature and then open the radiator - carefully - and allow it to burp out any air that might be in it. You can take this time to gently squeaze the hoses to move around any air bubbles. Make sure your heater controls are in the "hot" position so the heater core has fluid circulating through it.

3.) why did you buy a water pump if you weren't going to replace it? Better yet, why did you buy one and not replace it while the engine was out of the car?

4.) are you leaking any coolant?

5.) how hot is it getting and how quickly?</TD></TR></TABLE>

alrighr check it out

2)that sound good to do.

3)i boutght the water pump after i dropped the motor in... because I encountered this problem after i dropped in the motor.

4)I was leaking s little bit but not anymore. another good point.

5) it gets hot rather qickly.???does this mean something.???

Modified by mustang5.slow at 3:54 PM 6/28/2007
Old 06-28-2007, 02:53 PM
* B A N N E D *

bump.