Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b18c5 into eg..searched 2 hrs.. what I know so far.

Old 10-31-2004, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18c5 into eg..searched 2 hrs.. what I know so far.

Alright I am sure I am gonna get a ton of $#!t for this from everyone but anyway.
I have searched for approx. 2 to 3 hours today on swapping in a b18c5 into a eg(92 civic si).

What I know so far-
-Basically that I need all the integra motor mounts(94-01).
-That the type R harness should plug right into the shock tower plug(jdm may require stretching the wires or rerouting.
-That a chipped p28 from Kenji is my best bet.
-To run the factory a/c compressor I will need a 95 del sol vtec(dohc)p54 ac compressor bracket?(is this correct?)
-Use shift linkage off of b series integra.
-Murphy's law always applies to me and many other techs(I know first hand, I do it for a living at a Mercedes-Benz dealer.)

What I need to know.
-This is a 2000 type r motor(japanese motor).Will I run into problems with the 36 mm axles instead of the 32mm?
-Will I need to do anything with the radiator hoses since this is a different motor?
-Will a factory p28 run the b18c5 until i can get a chipped one?
-I am also guessing the type r header won't bolt up to the factory (hollowed) cat?(this gives me a reason to run open header for a bit YAY!!!..I did this once in an 88 rx-7 after I got a header... it was so loud it made you nausious, but was cool to drive under bridges and through tunnels.
-Will I be able to keep my power steering or will I need to go to the junkyard to get a power steering pump off a b series engine, and what car would I need to scavenge it from?
-Anything else I am missing?

Sorry to post this, it's like I feel bad posting it but it is my first swap in a Honda.
I imagine it can't be much harder than dealing with German cars.
And maybe when I am doing it I will do a super comprehensive how to.(or as Mercedes would call it...WIS-work instructions)

Thanks a million to anyone that helps me,
Stephen
Old 10-31-2004, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18c5 into eg..searched 2 hrs.. what I know so far. (Spade Racing)

here are a couple of detailed lists of things you are going to need, along with some great pictures of the steps being done. As far as the axle nut size difference I have heard the answer just can't remember, I think I saw the answer in the FAQ thread that was posted out the top of this forum. If I find somemore **** for you I will edit this post.

The JDM harness is useless(because it is for RHD) except for extra plugs in case yours are broke.

The p28 will run the motor, just like ****...until it is chipped. (did it not come with the stock ecu?) you can use the type r ecu, just need a jumper harness for the OBD2-OBD1 conversion.

you have to use radiator hoses made for an Integra, may have to trim them a little.

to my knowledge the header bolts up to the exhaust...

you will need a B-series power steering pump to keep power steering(I think power steering is overrated!) you can get that off of any B-Series.

Did your motor not come with the mounts and power steering ****? cuz I know if you order from Hmotorsonline.com they have kits set up for it to drop into an EG

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=550976

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=856396

Modified by R33CIVIC at 5:01 PM 10/31/2004
Old 10-31-2004, 02:04 PM

here ya go...
http://www.c-speedracing.com/h...p.php
if you are getting a complete swap then you should be ok.
use your own stock harness.
use the pwr steering bracket that come with the swap.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18c5 into eg..searched 2 hrs.. what I know so far. (2lua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2lua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">here ya go...
http://www.c-speedracing.com/h...p.php
if you are getting a complete swap then you should be ok.
use your own stock harness.
use the pwr steering bracket that come with the swap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you don't have an Si/EX or VX you will have to run a vtec wire, because your harness will not be wired for vtec(either way your stock harness will work). and like I said use the power steering bracket and compressor that came with the swap (if it isn't there, get a B series compressor and bracket) I have the compressor if you need it (check the sig).
Old 10-31-2004, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18c5 into eg..searched 2 hrs.. what I know so far. (R33CIVIC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R33CIVIC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">here are a couple of detailed lists of things you are going to need, along with some great pictures of the steps being done. As far as the axle nut size difference I have heard the answer just can't remember, I think I saw the answer in the FAQ thread that was posted out the top of this forum. If I find somemore **** for you I will edit this post.

The JDM harness is useless(because it is for RHD) except for extra plugs in case yours are broke.

The p28 will run the motor, just like ****...until it is chipped. (did it not come with the stock ecu?) you can use the type r ecu, just need a jumper harness for the OBD2-OBD1 conversion.

you have to use radiator hoses made for an Integra, may have to trim them a little.

to my knowledge the header bolts up to the exhaust...

you will need a B-series power steering pump to keep power steering(I think power steering is overrated!) you can get that off of any B-Series.

Did your motor not come with the mounts and power steering ****? cuz I know if you order from Hmotorsonline.com they have kits set up for it to drop into an EG

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=550976

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=856396

Modified by R33CIVIC at 5:01 PM 10/31/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

mostly right.

but the power steering can be retained with using the d series ps pump. only do the top bolt and tensioner. as long as you use locktite and get it snug it will never go anywhere. i had an itr in my 93 haatch and ran 15k miles with it that way and it never moved.

Old 10-31-2004, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here you got https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=983454
Old 10-31-2004, 05:39 PM
Multi-paradigm

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spade Racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is a 2000 type r motor(japanese motor).</TD></TR></TABLE>

K here's some help- If you thought you bought a JDM motor yet your block says B18c5? You got screwed.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:13 PM

Default Re: b18c5 into eg..searched 2 hrs.. what I know so far. (syntax_error)

what dude? Are you tring to be funny?
Old 10-31-2004, 07:40 PM

Anyway... alright well those links I have seen are very good... but I have one question about the jdm wiring harness...Can it be used? I have heard that it can be used but it has to be rerouted.. or stretched(adding length to wires?) and can be plugged right in. I am thinking about buying the obd2 to obd1 conversion harness and run the itr ecu until I can get the p28 rechipped. I also saw some p73 obd 1 ecu on e bay for like 55 dollars with a skunk chip and like a 9600 rpm rev limiter... but I dont think I want the rev limiter that high but its only 55 dollars so. Any suggestions???

Thanks,
Stephen

P.S.- To the one guy that made a comment on the engine b18c5 or whatever.. Its a type r integra motor...I dont really give about what it says on the block as long it is what it actually is. If I have a descrepancy ill talk to the guy that sold me the motor. I am just trying to get all the stuff I need in advance so I can minimize the down time of my car(which is my daily driven vehicle). No one else seemed to want to bust my bubble. thanks
Old 10-31-2004, 07:54 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spade Racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
P.S.- To the one guy that made a comment on the engine b18c5 or whatever.. Its a type r integra motor...I dont really give about what it says on the block as long it is what it actually is. If I have a descrepancy ill talk to the guy that sold me the motor. I am just trying to get all the stuff I need in advance so I can minimize the down time of my car(which is my daily driven vehicle). No one else seemed to want to bust my bubble. thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

B18C5 is an american type r motor B18C with no number at the end is a jdm motor wether it is a gsr or type r in japan it still just says B18C. He was just trying to inform you of that.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Will I need to do anything with the radiator hoses since this is a different motor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You'll need 94+ B-series hoses (2), since they are much bigger in diameter than the D-series. I would also go with a new b-series or del sol dual core radiator just to be extra cooler, although your stock will work too. If you plan to use the stock radiator, you might want to tighten down the hoses pretty good, but not too tight.

-Han, who experienced radiator hose problems
Old 10-31-2004, 09:47 PM

why would you want to run obd2-1 conversion harness when your car is already obd1. There are no p73 obd1 ecu the p73 came out 96 and up only and is obd2.
If you really want to run the type r ecu you would need obd1-2 conversion harness.
Its easier to use your stock wiring harness on the eg and just add vtec wires unless its a 92 then you are prewired for vtec and just need to run knock sensor wire. Of course if you run p28 chipped ecu you can eliminate knock sensor.

hit me up if any questions.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:56 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

question for you guys,
what do you think(ball park) is the average
price of a complete c5 swap into a 92-95 hatch?

like everything it'll take, tranny, ecu, wiring, etc?

My friend made a ******* stupid *** comment(he wasnt trying to be a dick but it still pissed me off because I didnt tear him a new one at the time) about how I shoulda gotten a typeR motor when I spend "close to half that" on my dseries setup.

BAH!!!
Old 10-31-2004, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tad)

thats what I did...I figured it would cost me a good 5 grand to safely boost my d16 and barely pass the limits of the type r so I did the type r swap instead for less. and now my B18C spec R is boosted...oh yeah!

and just for information...USDM = B18C5....JDM = B18C spec R or just GSR (normally the type r has pink marks on the head and intake manifold, and the GSR will have green). dont fall for the valve cover swap on a JDM B18C...check the tranny and intake manifold type r runners go up, gsr runners go down...etc. good luck

oh yeah I used the B18 mounts with energy suspension inserts, 94 gsr shifter linkage, 94 gsr throttle cable, ac mount from hasport, driveshaft shop axles, 94 gsr and delsol upper and lower radiator hoses, locashracing.com obd I to obd II for the p73. I also used the d16 engine harness and changed a couple of plugs for the altenator, injectors, distributor, knock sensor. off the top of my head I believe that was it.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:32 AM

if you are swapping a b18c5 and NOT a b18c, make sure you have a vin plate on the motor because if you get pulled over and a cop doesnt see a vin plate, youre basically fucked because hell think its stolen and maybe even impound your car.

im not sure if you can buy a b18c5 with no vin plate BUT have all the sellers info with you. just in case you get pulled over, you can show the cop who you bought it from to get your *** from being penetrated in jail.

you just gotta watch out for thieves selling you *hot* engines because the R gets stolen almost every week. **** prolly almost everyday.

how much did you get it for anyway?
Old 11-01-2004, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18c5 into eg..searched 2 hrs.. what I know so far. (hatchi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why would you want to run obd2-1 conversion harness when your car is already obd1. There are no p73 obd1 ecu the p73 came out 96 and up only and is obd2.
If you really want to run the type r ecu you would need obd1-2 conversion harness.
Its easier to use your stock wiring harness on the eg and just add vtec wires unless its a 92 then you are prewired for vtec and just need to run knock sensor wire. Of course if you run p28 chipped ecu you can eliminate knock sensor.

hit me up if any questions. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i thought usdm itr's have an immobilizer, built in to the ecu, and u need to use itr ignition switch.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:39 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: b18c5 into eg..searched 2 hrs.. what I know so far. (beaterdriver)

I have heard thats only the 00-01 years...
Old 11-01-2004, 08:49 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18c5 into eg..searched 2 hrs.. what I know so far. (beaterdriver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beaterdriver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i thought usdm itr's have an immobilizer, built in to the ecu, and u need to use itr ignition switch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well if your running a p28 then wouldnt that make it a mute point
Old 11-01-2004, 08:52 AM

Default Re: b18c5 into eg..searched 2 hrs.. what I know so far. (94eg!)

2700 shipped... supposedly it is a 2000 with 13k miles. Its pretty much the entire swap minus the a/c compressor and the pwr steering which type r's may not have(dont know for sure)

peace,
Steve
Old 11-01-2004, 08:55 AM

I have a PWR aluminum radiator which was a pain to get the factory d 16 engine hoses on... so the bigger hoses should not be a problem.

Thanks,
Steve

Any info on the Engine harness plugging into the shock tower plug?
Old 11-01-2004, 09:00 AM

thats too cheap for a ITR where you gettin this from?
Old 11-01-2004, 09:06 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: b18c5 into eg..searched 2 hrs.. what I know so far. (SiKid86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spade Racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2700 shipped... supposedly it is a 2000 with 13k miles. Its pretty much the entire swap minus the a/c compressor and the pwr steering which type r's may not have(dont know for sure)

peace,
Steve</TD></TR></TABLE>
Ya, a USDM ITR should range from $4100 to $4500.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiKid86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats too cheap for a ITR where you gettin this from?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep, maybe without a tranny, or ecu but that is still kind of cheap. That is still a little low for a GSR motor shipped, JDM or not....

anyways it should say 9/9 on the head along with P73 or PR3 (are codes for Type R) so that you can tell it is infact a type r and not a gsr...that is why they guys said if you "bought" and JDM type r swap and it says b18c5 on the block, then you know it isn't a JDM motor. a JDM motor will say B18c and then you can look at the head by the information I described above to tell if in fact it is a type r or a gsr. the main thing is the Intake Manifold, you should spot that quick.

to your question about the wiring harness, I said you could use your stock one. if you don't have a VX or EX/SI then you will have to run VTEC. The JDM harness is ******* garbage(the battery terminals and **** are on the left side whereas ours are on the right) I would just save the harness to cut plugs off of. If you haven't gotten the motor yet, then I would seriously look at it before you buy it because the price is too low, which means a couple of things (stolen, not a type r, blown, or missing a bunch of **** etc...) If you have any more questions just post them in here, I will check back to make sure you are headed in the right direction.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:18 AM

I know the ITR axle is 36mm as opposed to the 32mm civic axle(like somebody mentioned). Will he need to swap out the hub in order for the axle to fit? or will the bigger axle still fit into the civic hub\knuckle?
Old 11-01-2004, 09:44 AM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: b18c5 into eg..searched 2 hrs.. what I know so far. (gunnis)

No you can use GSR axles. 32mm. The 36mm is only if you use a JDM 5-lug conversion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: b18c5 into eg..searched 2 hrs.. what I know so far.