Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b18c1 or ls vtec is a hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 12:51 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18c1 or ls vtec in a hatch?

Just curious what the preference was. I am currently looking for a hatch and have come across both and am curious as to which one was better? thanks

Modified by 94civicx at 7:55 PM 4/10/2007
Old 04-09-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Re: b18c1 or ls vtec is a hatch? (94civicx)

it depends on what u r going to do with the car. the gsr motor is very good besides the head could be alot better. and the ls v-tec is good cause u have the torque of an ls motor and the top end of a v-tec motor but not realy rliable
Old 04-09-2007, 01:14 PM

In my opinion just stay with the B18c1. Higher revs and factory reliability. Most cats think that because they put a Vtec head on an LS block it can now rev out to the same RPM as that Vtec motor. Not true as the LS/B20 short block does not come with oil squirters. I have been in the game for over 10 years now and seen LS Vtec after another spin bearings or blow. Not worth it in my opinion. I say do i right or don't do it at all. LS/Vtec FTL! You will be overwhelmingly happy with the GSR.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You came across both... for how much? How much for the LS/V and how much for the GSR? What are your plans for this car... Drag, Auto-X or DD? How much money do you have to spend all together (this includes the purchase of either motor)? How much hp are you looking to achieve?
Old 04-09-2007, 01:32 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: b18c1 or ls vtec is a hatch? (95ProjectEJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bayeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> the gsr motor is very good besides the head could be alot better. </TD></TR></TABLE>

explain

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and the ls v-tec is good cause u have the torque of an ls motor and the top end of a v-tec motor but not realy rliable</TD></TR></TABLE>

they are as reliable as any other engine when built, tuned, and take care of properly

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1siks2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Not true as the LS/B20 short block does not come with oil squirters.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what do oil squirters have to do with revving them higher?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I have been in the game for over 10 years now and seen LS Vtec after another spin bearings or blow. </TD></TR></TABLE>

any engine will spin a bearing of blow if you dont know wtf you're doing. sounds like the people that built those lsvtecs didnt.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:50 PM

Default Re: b18c1 or ls vtec is a hatch? (doood)

what im talking about when the gsr head could be better is that the ports inside the head dont even compair to the one in a type-r head or b16 head. so if u got a port and polish then they will be the same as type-r
Old 04-09-2007, 01:56 PM
been there done that

Default Re: b18c1 or ls vtec is a hatch? (bayeg6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bayeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what im talking about when the gsr head could be better is that the ports inside the head dont even compair to the one in a type-r head or b16 head. so if u got a port and polish then they will be the same as type-r</TD></TR></TABLE>

do you know b16 and gsr heads have nearly identical flow numbers and itr heads flow slightly better? you do now.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:15 PM

r u sure that the type-r came with a 2liter motor and im positive that the b16 and type-r heads are almost the same and the gsr is the one that is difrent
Old 04-09-2007, 02:19 PM
been there done that

did i say gsr and b16 heads are the same? no. i said they have nearly identical flow numbers.

if you dont know what you're talking about, dont talk.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bayeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">r u sure that the type-r came with a 2liter motor and im positive that the b16 and type-r heads are almost the same and the gsr is the one that is difrent</TD></TR></TABLE>

wtf are you talking about!?!?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did i say gsr and b16 heads are the same? no. i said they have nearly identical flow numbers.

if you dont know what you're talking about, dont talk.</TD></TR></TABLE>
don't talk FTW
Old 04-09-2007, 02:39 PM
been there done that

Default Re: b18c1 or ls vtec is a hatch? (ballerchild)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ballerchild &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wtf are you talking about!?!?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

look at my sig
Old 04-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18c1 or ls vtec is a hatch? (1siks2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1siks2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In my opinion just stay with the B18c1. Higher revs and factory reliability. Most cats think that because they put a Vtec head on an LS block it can now rev out to the same RPM as that Vtec motor. Not true as the LS/B20 short block does not come with oil squirters. I have been in the game for over 10 years now and seen LS Vtec after another spin bearings or blow. Not worth it in my opinion. I say do i right or don't do it at all. LS/Vtec FTL! You will be overwhelmingly happy with the GSR. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Looks like that 10 years didnt teach you much. Spinning bearings has absolutly nothing to do with oil squirters. Also b20/Ls motors spin bearings more often because of the metal used to make them is diffrent. All vtec motors use a trimetal bearing non vtec motors use bimetal bearings. Just notch b20/ls rods to accept a gsr bearing and that problem is solved.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All depends on your budget. b18c1 and LS are similar in torque.

LS is usually a budget/extreme build type motor. If I had to pick between them i'd go with the C1.

But Cool kids go H2b, Can be done for less than $3000

h22 ftmfw
Old 04-09-2007, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: b18c1 or ls vtec is a hatch? (1siks2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1siks2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I have been in the game for over 10 years now and seen LS Vtec after another spin bearings or blow. Not worth it in my opinion. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, find a new game then and preferably a new site to post on so you don't infect the rest of the internet with your stupidity.

It's absolutely rediculous how you are able to walk upright and breathe without a respirator if this is the best knowledge you have to offer after "ten years in the game".

What a ******* tool
Old 04-09-2007, 03:39 PM
* B A N N E D *

come on bro. dont say ls vtec are not reliable and blow alot. I have ls vtec turbo and it runs good. its all about building it right and tuning. Ls vtec can be reliable as gsr motor. Come on man, oil squirters have nothing to do with spun bearings,
Old 04-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bayeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it depends on what u r going to do with the car. the gsr motor is very good besides the head could be alot better. and the ls v-tec is good cause u have the torque of an ls motor and the top end of a v-tec motor but not realy rliable</TD></TR></TABLE>

While I agree with you for the most part, if an LS-V is done correctly it can be as reliable as any other B. Just gotta make sure you do everything correctly, and not half-*** it. LS-V's can make some nasty power. Friend of mine saw an LS-V with 12:1 comp and Buddy Club Spec 3+ cams run a 13.8 at the track, so the power potential is there. Just gotta do it right!
Old 04-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude that's not even that impressive. Mine ran 12's through a **** exhaust all motor. Plenty of them are in the deep 12's and quicker.

Reliability is in the hands of the mechanic. The reason things get out of hand with "it blows all the time" is due to everyone like this siks2k fruit loop THINKS they are a mechanic if they have a password for a car forum.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:41 PM
New User

Default Re: (Jay_Sensing)

I appreciate all the feedback. I am actually just looking for a good daily driver that has some get up and go. Reliability is a main concern as well. I have spent the money and time in the past going from stock to modded, but am looking to cut corners by purchasing it with the swap already done. There is a dealer in my area that is selling hatches with the ls/vtec already done for under 8000 for a 94 shell. It was between that or a private seller advertising a 93 hatch with gsr swap for 7600. Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94civicx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94civicx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I appreciate all the feedback. I am actually just looking for a good daily driver that has some get up and go. Reliability is a main concern as well. I have spent the money and time in the past going from stock to modded, but am looking to cut corners by purchasing it with the swap already done. There is a dealer in my area that is selling hatches with the ls/vtec already done for under 8000 for a 94 shell. It was between that or a private seller advertising a 93 hatch with gsr swap for 7600. Thanks again for the feedback. </TD></TR></TABLE>
damn!! those are pretty expensive for eg's.. those things better have more mods than just that swap.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (ballerchild)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ballerchild &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
damn!! those are pretty expensive for eg's.. those things better have more mods than just that swap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Word. It'd be cheaper to buy a hatch and swap and pay for the labor yourself.

8 grand I could make a sick Eg.

Eg - 2500 with good body/high miles
H2B - ~3000
Wheels/tires - $7-800
Adj. Shock/springs - $600

And I still have 2100 to play with. That's a sick turbo setup y0.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ballerchild)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ballerchild &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
damn!! those are pretty expensive for eg's.. those things better have more mods than just that swap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No kidding, I would probably sell mine for 8k and it's a LOT more than a swap lol.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:49 PM

b20 vtec
Old 04-09-2007, 08:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

explain

what do oil squirters have to do with revving them higher?

any engine will spin a bearing of blow if you dont know wtf you're doing. sounds like the people that built those lsvtecs didnt.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oil squirters "squirt" oil into the crankshaft which in turn reduces friction and also cools engine temps ensuring reliable high RPM operation. With them the engine is less prone to fail at higher engine speeds too.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:12 PM

Default Re: b18c1 or ls vtec is a hatch? (Felliph3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Felliph3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Oil squirters "squirt" oil into the crankshaft which in turn reduces friction and also cools engine temps ensuring reliable high RPM operation. With them the engine is less prone to fail at higher engine speeds too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oil squirters squirt at the bottom of the piston dude...
Old 04-10-2007, 07:08 AM

^^^ Yea i wasn't too sure but he gets the idea.DDoes anyone have pics of both b18c1 and B18B so that i can see them squirters?

Quick Reply: b18c1 or ls vtec is a hatch?