Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B18C1 into EJ1 swap question (mount and harness)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18C1 into EJ1 swap question (mount and harness)

Hey guys i got 2 questions... i got a EJ1 and doing GSR swap this week.
They are both ODB1 good.
1) The engine didnt come with the passenger side mount. not sure if i can use my stock d16z6 mount or not. They engine has all other mounts but this one.
2) JDMSOURCE the place where i got it from told me that the harness should fit right in but there will be one clip i need to make or something and i THINK (dont quote me on this) he said it was by the intake manifold. Do you guys know which one and how to fix this?
Thanks hommies
Old 05-11-2009, 10:51 AM

Default Re: B18C1 into EJ1 swap question (mount and harness)

No you need the b series mount for it. the harness will work Im not sure which plug it is though
Old 05-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got the same issue except i dropped a b18c5 in using my obd1 harness and all my plugs went in I just had to extend some wires but I have 1 white plug behind my intake manifold that doesn't have something to plug into. What is it?
Old 05-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dukie432
I got the same issue except i dropped a b18c5 in using my obd1 harness and all my plugs went in I just had to extend some wires but I have 1 white plug behind my intake manifold that doesn't have something to plug into. What is it?
i damn so i need the b series mount thn eh.. **** ill try to get it then. i thought that since it drops right in i could ise be series. Adn yeah thats the plug i think i need to figure out how to connect. by the intake manifold. pls let me know if you find out anything about it. im posting in diferent forums to find solution to this as well. is your car running and stuff or you stuckthere too?
Old 05-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

evap purge solenoid wont be reused unless its a usdm motor...you need to add a knock sensor to the harness
Old 05-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also as far as the passenger side mount goes I ran into a couple problems, my motor swap didn't come with a spacer of some sort that goes between the tranny and the motor mount. It made the motor a lot higher on the passenger side compared to driver side. I work as a machinest so I had to manufacture my own. Did your swap come with this spacer. Only passenger side
Old 05-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by speedooo
evap purge solenoid wont be reused unless its a usdm motor...you need to add a knock sensor to the harness
So in my instance my motor is jdm type r and I sent my ecu and got it chipped and had knock sensor removed. so I don't need to worryabout that plug dangling
Old 05-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by speedooo
sorry how do i do this?

Also as far as the passenger side mount goes I ran into a couple problems, my motor swap didn't come with a spacer of some sort that goes between the tranny and the motor mount. It made the motor a lot higher on the passenger side compared to driver side. I work as a machinest so I had to manufacture my own. Did your swap come with this spacer. Only passenger side
No man, i was never told anything about this spacer but i think i saw this in a friends TypeR swap too. Not sure if it is just for typeR swaps or B18Cs in general. can you show me what kind of mount did you make?
Old 05-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by luispizarro25
Hey guys i got 2 questions... i got a EJ1 and doing GSR swap this week.
They are both ODB1 good.
1) The engine didnt come with the passenger side mount. not sure if i can use my stock d16z6 mount or not. They engine has all other mounts but this one.
Passenger's side? You mean the upper transmission mount? That you can reuse off the D-series. The driver's side engine mount can be reused too depending on exactly what it came from, all VXs and some EX/Sis (EX-V/Si in Canada) used a 3 post aluminum Integra style mount, all other models use a black stamped steel 2 post version that isn't compatible. The rear T-bracket must come from a 5 speed Integra or Del Sol VTEC.

2) JDMSOURCE the place where i got it from told me that the harness should fit right in but there will be one clip i need to make or something and i THINK (dont quote me on this) he said it was by the intake manifold. Do you guys know which one and how to fix this?
Thanks hommies
Reuse your original engine harness unless you have a USDM LHD '94 - '95 GS-R harness at your disposal. This will require lengthening a few connectors and adding in the knock and IAB wiring if you plan on running a P72 ECU (note that you can save some work if its a JDM engine and you don't live in a strict emissions state by plugging the purge solenoid connector into the IAB solenoid and moving pin A20 to A17 at the ECU)

I have 1 white plug behind my intake manifold that doesn't have something to plug into. What is it?
IAT sensor, OBD2 Civics and Integras have this sensor in the intake piping instead of it being on the back of the intake manifold. Just thought i'd also add, the IAT sensor operates at a much lower voltage than the surrounding sensors, which have identical plugs, plugging either the purge solenoid or IACV connector into the IAT sensor causes it to die a pretty much instantanous death, so on that note make sure that the wire colors going to the IAT sensor are red/yellow and green/white (red/yellow and green/blue if using an Integra harness)

There was never a factory spacer, was your car previously an automatic? (this will cause the transmission to sit up at an angle on the passenger's side, this is corrected by using an aftermarket auto to manual mount, or drilling the spot welds out of the automatic pocket mount welded to the frame rail and replacing it with the manual version.

Last edited by 94EG8; 05-11-2009 at 11:56 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 05-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the knock sensor is a 1 pin plug, same style as the iacv/coolant tmp/thermo sensors, so cut a plug off of an old harness or something and run the wire to the pin at the ecu

edit-94eg8 has all the correct info
Old 05-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There was never a factory spacer, was your car previously an automatic (this will cause the transmission to sit up at an angle on the passenger's side, this is corrected by using an aftermarket auto to manual mount, or drilling the spot welds out of the automatic pocket mount welded to the frame rail and replacing it with the manual version.[/QUOTE]

My car was an automatic before the swap. I knew I would run into problems but what I did instead of buying the auto to manual mounts I just manufactured spacers. I know not everyone can go this route but I'm a metal machinest and I had some extra material andtime so I made my own. U just have to make sure all your transmission mounts line up and I did. It was a total of 4 spacers I made and didn't cost anything
Old 05-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It sounds like eg8 has the correct info. I can only tell u what my experience was. When I dropped the motor in my ej the passenger side was 3 1/2 inches to high. I customly made a 3 1/2 titanium steel spacers that lowered my motor to the correct size and made my other transmission mount line up perfectly. But like stated earlier it could have been because I was auto at first.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it was definitely auto at one point
Old 05-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Passenger's side? You mean the upper transmission mount? That you can reuse off the D-series. The driver's side engine mount can be reused too depending on exactly what it came from, all VXs and some EX/Sis (EX-V/Si in Canada) used a 3 post aluminum Integra style mount, all other models use a black stamped steel 2 post version that isn't compatible. The rear T-bracket must come from a 5 speed Integra or Del Sol VTEC.
Ok cool so yeah i got Si Canada so i should be able to re use both upper side mounts from D series, but i think the only one im missing is the passenger side. Now im not sure about the rear one but ill find out with this info you gave me it should be enough.

Reuse your original engine harness unless you have a USDM LHD '94 - '95 GS-R harness at your disposal. This will require lengthening a few connectors and adding in the knock and IAB wiring if you plan on running a P72 ECU (note that you can save some work if its a JDM engine and you don't live in a strict emissions state by plugging the purge solenoid connector into the IAB solenoid and moving pin A20 to A17 at the ECU)
Yeah the engine is JDM and here there are not strict emissions laws, but i dont get what you mean by plugging the purge solenoid connector into the IAB solenoid and moving pin A20 to A17 at the ECU. Could you be more specific and is this going to affect performance and relaibility.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Seagull Management

Ok cool so yeah i got Si Canada so i should be able to re use both upper side mounts from D series, but i think the only one im missing is the passenger side. Now im not sure about the rear one but ill find out with this info you gave me it should be enough.
Again in regards to the driver's side mount it depends on the year of the vehicle IIRC, all VXs use the aluminum mount (for weight saving purposes most likely, VXs also used an aluminum A/C compressor bracket) and some EX-V/Sis ('94 - '95 I believe)

but i dont get what you mean by plugging the purge solenoid connector into the IAB solenoid and moving pin A20 to A17 at the ECU. Could you be more specific and is this going to affect performance and relaibility.
Because the JDM engine doesn't have a purge solenoid you have an extra connector hanging, rather than running new wire all the way back to the ECU from the intake manifold it makes more sense to use the wiring for the purge solenoid (its already run in the factory harness, and uses the same plug as the IAB solenoid) Pin A20 controls the purge solenoid. Pin A17 controls the IAB solenoid, basically you're just reusing existing wiring to control something other than what it was originally designed to do.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Because the JDM engine doesn't have a purge solenoid you have an extra connector hanging, rather than running new wire all the way back to the ECU from the intake manifold it makes more sense to use the wiring for the purge solenoid (its already run in the factory harness, and uses the same plug as the IAB solenoid) Pin A20 controls the purge solenoid. Pin A17 controls the IAB solenoid, basically you're just reusing existing wiring to control something other than what it was originally designed to do.
Alright yeah no i dont have USDM harness, i get your point and is good idea. all i have is the JDM harness so i believe ill have to just reuse my harness and connect the two wires im missing which are Knock Sensor and Air Intake Bypass (AIB).
Old 05-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

use integra 94 and up motor mounts and theirs one plug on the passengers side thats not going to hook up to nothing and ur going to need a gsr integra throttle cable
Old 05-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just did my swap last month from ls to gsr
Old 05-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

but im running a ob2 gsr in my coupe
Old 05-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Seagull Management

Alright yeah no i dont have USDM harness, i get your point and is good idea. all i have is the JDM harness so i believe ill have to just reuse my harness and connect the two wires im missing which are Knock Sensor and Air Intake Bypass (AIB).
Simply reuse the original EJ1 harness, you'll have to lengthen a few connectors, its also wired for a purge solenoid so what I said in my last post still applies, this leaves you with only 1 wire to run for the knock sensor. For convience i've posted the OBD1 ECU pinouts below. Pic courtesy of Katman (check out technet.ff-squad.com for all kinds of usefull wiring tech info.)

Old 05-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

holi canoli perfect this is what i needed.. sweet so ill just run the knock sensor wire and i should be set
Old 10-28-2009, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, I'm also doing this swap but it's a bit different. I have a jdm EJ1 and a jdm GSR complete with harness, ecu etc.
The car is obd1, and the engine is obd2a, so I'm gonna cut the harness about 10" from the ecu plugs and just splice the appropriate wires into the obd1 harness using diagrams, then add the extra wires, IAB etc.
I'm doing this because I chipped a P91 and it's giving a cel code for faulty ecu. I believe it's just my crappy soldering. I have another p91 and a jdm p08, and another chipping kit from xenocron. I just don't have time to chip properly before the swap so I'll use the obd2a p72 for now. But I plan to use a chipped obd1 so I want to leave the old harness in for later.

So I'm cool on the passenger side (jdm), but what about the harness on the driver/tranny side? can I just plug the engine side plugs to the car side plugs on the shock tower and hope? I'm not finding anything online with regards to this.
If I find nothing I guess I can look at which sensors go to which wires on my old engine and rewire to suit.

Also a question to Dukie432, when you made the spacers for the tranny top mount, were the holes on the mount directly above the bolts on the tranny? I also wanna do this because I don't want to move the bracket on the car body. was planning to use spacers, take the bolts out of the tranny and use you longer bolts to run thought the mount, through the spacers and into the tranny.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by OmniCoupe
Hey, I'm also doing this swap but it's a bit different. I have a jdm EJ1 and a jdm GSR complete with harness, ecu etc.
The car is obd1, and the engine is obd2a, so I'm gonna cut the harness about 10" from the ecu plugs and just splice the appropriate wires into the obd1 harness using diagrams, then add the extra wires, IAB etc.
You're creating hours of unncessary work for yourself. Either reuse the original civic harness and lengthen a few connectors and use an OBD1 distributor, alternator or injectors, or use an OBD2 USDM Integra engine harness (ideally a '96 - '99 harness), or cut and splice the OBD2 injector, distributor and alternator plugs and replace them with ones from the JDM harness. DO NOT under any circumstances try to reuse the JDM engine harness.

Originally Posted by OmniCoupe
Also a question to Dukie432, when you made the spacers for the tranny top mount, were the holes on the mount directly above the bolts on the tranny?
They don't quite line up, they are about 1/2" off.

You should also create your own thread.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just run a 0b2 usdm wiring harness everthing plugs up but one plug on the passenger side and get a ob1 [p72 or p28] ecu