Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B18b vs B18c, feel similar?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B18b vs B18c, feel similar?

Read before you answer. I know there are differences.

This is mainly for discussion/my own knowledge. I've owned a b18c1 and I loved it. I am swapping in a b18b1 in less than a week. I am not the type of guy to really get on it much. I love just driving around, giving my car a little extra gas, hitting 4k rpm, and just hearing my exhaust. That's really about it unless I autox or get a sudden urge to accellerate a little bit. Here's my question:

How does the daily driveability/comfort/hp/torque/overall feel compare driving a b18b vs a b18c? Do they feel very similar when kept at a daily driving rpm range, let's say up to 4400rpm where a gsr would normally hit vtec? I'm very curious. I know that they have similar peak torque, but I've never seen stock dyno graphs of both engines next to each other. It won't sway any decision, I'm already for sure swapping the b18b, but this is just out of curiosity. In the higher rpm range, I know that there is quite a difference, I'm not talking about that though. Just normal driving mainly.

I've never actually driven an LS engine, so that's why I'm curious. Any if you're wondering why I'm swapping if I haven't driven one, I have a y7, and that's all I should have to say. Just want to know what people think who have driven both.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:04 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: B18b vs B18c, feel similar?

its night and day
Old 06-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i am in the same boat. gonna swap a b18 into my ek. and i drove a b18c, that was nicely tuned, with some new injectors and odds and ends. and it was an amazing difference.

personally, i am waiting for the extra 2K to come in, and im just gonna go for the b18c.

i would recommend it, if that's an option for you. you wont believe the improvement from your y7. haha.

good luck
Old 06-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nsxter
its night and day
Elaborate please.

Im not going to disagree because I havent experienced an LS, but I'm curious where a night and day difference would come from?

There is only a 30 hp difference between the two and the gsr is going to jump a good amount once vtec crosses over and the IAB's open. Take vtec away from a gsr and it would lose a good amount of peak hp. Below crossover, vtec isnt a factor anyways. With basically the same amount of torque, shouldnt they feel like fairly similar engines below the gsr's vtec crossover point? I don't know, just doesnt seem like it could be night and day.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's the diff-

The B18A or B feels great down low, good torque right off the bat.....rev up, then power falls off early

A B18C actually is slightly "less" torquey off the start and feels that way till vtec....then it takes off making good power and holds till redline........it definitely is faster....and fun to drive. That's why so many people enjoy them!!!!
Old 06-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in theory, the LS should make more torque for normal driving since it's got a longer stroke and the intake manifold has longer runners, plus its like 2% larger (89mm vs 87.2mm stroke). The GSR is de-stroked (plus has a girdle and oil squirters) so that it can rev higher safely. Get a GSR trans if you can afford it. Short gears make a big difference in our cars. And a header, it won't ad a ton of power up top but it helps mid-range more it seems like.

I have never driven an LS, but if I were you, I'd at least get a B20 instead. It's a direct swap also and they don't cost any more than a regular LS, and it's an extra 200cc of displacement. The only drawback is the B20B needs a B18 LS intake to fit in the Civic. Though the LS you can safely boost if you decide to later. It's up to you.

Whatever you do, make sure to take care of the normal stuff before swapping it in. A new timing belt, water pump and tensioner are a must. Cleaning the intake manifold wouldn't be a bad idea, especially if it's a JDM motor. Their fuel is nasty and the intake manifolds can get lots of junk in them. Just some degreaser and a brush will do a good job.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks deetz and thumper for providing the type of information that I want in this thread.

I know a decent amount about Hondas and different swaps though, Ive done several, but I'm sure some of that info will be good for people beginning. But yes, it has had a lot of recent maintenance done. A friend of mine has it in a car in his garage and isnt currently being driven.

I'm mainly asking just to have a technical discussion and out of curiosity. Itd be cool to have a few dyno graphs of bone stock b18c's and b18b's so that we could compare horsepower and torque and different rpms for the two engines, at least before the gsr obviously excells in the higher rpm.

Last edited by devney; 06-20-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cracker1252
i would recommend it, if that's an option for you. you wont believe the improvement from your y7. haha.

good luck
I had a b18c1 coupe before my current y7 hatch. Youre right, its an unbelievable difference.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I probably should not be posting here considering the fact that I haven't driven a GSR powered car so I can't compare an LS to a GSR.

I will say that I thoroughly enjoy my LS powered EJ1. The LS engines do not get much love, most people dog on them pretty hard, regardless of that I still enjoy mine. My Civic is a Daily and I enjoy it much better with the B18B1 under the hood than the stock D16Z6. The LS has nice lowend power which is nice for regular driving, as Deetz said, it does fall flat pretty early as the RPMs go up.

I don't know how an LS feels mated to an actual LS tranny, I have a GSR tranny and I love the LS engine + GSR Tranny combo, From research I have done the LS tranny just sucks all the way around.

That's all I have to say right now, for what its worth. Good Luck with your swap and I hope you enjoy it.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

I am not sure why, but the B20Z always gets forgotten. IMO, i think for the money, it is the best for the buck swap out there! First let me start by saying the engine is "under rated" from factory, and makes a good deal more power than both the B18A/B and B16A...and about the "same" power as a GSR.

They are cheap, makes gobs of torque and will fit under the hood of a stock car, no need to change the intake manifold. Here is a shot of a 96 CX hatch i built a couple years ago....so much fun!

Name:  Feb08036Medium.jpg
Views: 8053
Size:  90.6 KB
Old 06-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Always love it when Deetz posts that Picture. Looks just like my bay except for that intake manifold cover thingy ma jig. Very clean!
Old 06-20-2010, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

b20z = not legal in ca? (swap that is)
Old 06-20-2010, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Deetz
Here's the diff-

The B18A or B feels great down low, good torque right off the bat.....rev up, then power falls off early

A B18C actually is slightly "less" torquey off the start and feels that way till vtec....then it takes off making good power and holds till redline........it definitely is faster....and fun to drive. That's why so many people enjoy them!!!!
^+1
couldnt have said it better. Even my LS-Vtec feels like not as much torque down low.....
Old 06-20-2010, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am not sure why, but the B20Z always gets forgotten. IMO, i think for the money, it is the best for the buck swap out there! First let me start by saying the engine is "under rated" from factory, and makes a good deal more power than both the B18A/B and B16A...and about the "same" power as a GSR.

They are cheap, makes gobs of torque and will fit under the hood of a stock car, no need to change the intake manifold. Here is a shot of a 96 CX hatch i built a couple years ago....so much fun!

Ewwwww look at the intake mani.....
Old 06-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had GSR's in nearly all of my Civic/CRX's. I just recently built up a high compression B20 (11.5:1) that I put in my coupe about a month ago.

The B20 takes the cake in everyday traffic hands down. The motor makes great torque early, but definitely falls on its face around 5k. Obviously not good for racing, but I can tell you that the car is very responsive and is very fun to drive (especially with the 4.785 FD).

Now to compare the B18 to the GSR, I have driven both back to back, and can tell you that the 89mm stroke is definitely a big advantage over the GSR's 87mm. While a very small difference, you WILL be able to tell the difference in the location of the powerband.

From the description of what you will be using the car for, I would definitely say get the B18. But in all honesty, I would go B20. They are cheaper, more displacement, and share the same part support as the B18.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Originally Posted by EFPhilly
Ewwwww look at the intake mani.....
Truth be known, that intake manifold works damn well!!

Everyone kept saying how great the LS manifold is for an upgrade....i did it, and lost low end, and gained very little on the top
Old 06-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with you guys about getting a b20. I've considered it before and I'm sure it's a great engine. In this case though, it's a good deal on an LS locally by a friend of mine.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i kinda want to pull out my GSR and throw a B20 in it now just to feel the difference lol. but as far as LS and GSR feeling different, to me the GSR pulls way harder mid to top but feels the same below 4000rpm driving normally.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Truth be known, that intake manifold works damn well!!

Everyone kept saying how great the LS manifold is for an upgrade....i did it, and lost low end, and gained very little on the top
I thought ppl who still had ls's had turbos and tons of top end or ppl rocking b20's had high comp/ratio. j/k

I didn't keep a b20 non-v long enough to find out...lmao
Old 06-05-2012, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Old thread closed.