Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B18a1 v.s. Mini-Me ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18a1 v.s. Mini-Me ...

Hey whats up guys , well to keep it short ... my question is

B18a1 v.s. Mini-Me , which way would you guys go ? ...

Now i've looked @ the quadrillion posts about the B18 & it's comparison to the B16 motor but i guess i'm just lookin for something in my case ... D v.s. B , to make a long story short I had a guy offer me his obd0 B18a1 for my Mini-Me ... I'm debating right now ... is it worth the trade & hastle ? (i drive eg8) ... and pretty much the pros and cons of both motors ... i'm leaning towards the LS just because i think the B-series as a whole has more power output potential and most importantly torque potential than the Mini-me ... but i pretty much just wanted to here everyones opinion (even though i've read it all over H-T) and just wanted to get a feel of what others would do in my situation ... so what do you think i should do ditch the Vtec for Torque ... or keep the mini-me please give me your opinions - thanks and i appreciate your time Justin
Old 04-10-2005, 09:37 AM

Default Re: B18a1 v.s. Mini-Me ... (eg8kid)

it would depend on milage and stuff for me. i wouldnt want to trade for a motor that i know has been beat to **** if i babied my own. but if they were both in good condition i would choose the b series. prolly cause i got a mini me right now.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:24 AM

B18
Old 04-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18a1 v.s. Mini-Me ... (99hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it would depend on milage and stuff for me. i wouldnt want to trade for a motor that i know has been beat to **** if i babied my own. but if they were both in good condition i would choose the b series.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 04-10-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Re: B18a1 v.s. Mini-Me ... (99hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it would depend on milage and stuff for me. i wouldnt want to trade for a motor that i know has been beat to **** if i babied my own. but if they were both in good condition i would choose the b series. prolly cause i got a mini me right now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 04-10-2005, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18a1 v.s. Mini-Me ... (wutupnut)

If you take the b18a1, your going to need to come up with a tranny for your car since those were cable trannies.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18a1 v.s. Mini-Me ... (RED BADGE)

If you ask me there has to be some unknown reason that this guy wants to trade a B-Series for a D-Series but if the B is running good then i would trade it up!
Old 04-10-2005, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: B18a1 v.s. Mini-Me ... (kory_69_187)

b18a is good becuase you can always good ls/vtec later on!!
Old 04-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18a1 v.s. Mini-Me ... (B16aDasher)

Thanks for all the advice guys & keep it coming ...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cnyej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you take the b18a1, your going to need to come up with a tranny for your car since those were cable trannies. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The swap is complete & does in fact come with a transmission ...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kory_69_187 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you ask me there has to be some unknown reason that this guy wants to trade a B-Series for a D-Series but if the B is running good then i would trade it up!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah , i checked it out today ... seemed pretty straight i'm gonna give it a compresison check and give it a closer look again in a couple of days
Old 04-10-2005, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg8kid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for all the advice guys & keep it coming ...

The swap is complete & does in fact come with a transmission ...

</TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah but does it come with a hydro tranny??
Old 04-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18a1 v.s. Mini-Me ... (cnyej1)

Well thanks for your guys valuable input ... I greatly appreciate it .

I think i've reached my decision *drum roll*

I'm just going to stick with my Mini-me , the reasoning being that since i don't have the space nor current knowledge to do the swap right now i'd have to pay to get it done ... which is 400 bucks , on top of the 400 bucks on install i'd have to get the mounts and other misc. pieces to finish the swap which brings the total to around 500 dollars so in a sense i'd be doing 500+ My Mini Me for a stock B18a1 .... so i'm just gonna stay d-series ... so from here I'm planning on running nitrous , a small 50 shot (which i've been debating on the past couple of months) & a cam gear ... small upgrades i know but i figure the nitrous will definitely help me @ the track ... and the adj. camgear would help me tune ... which would keep me around the 300 dollar mark , and than from there i plan on running Uberdata ... so how's that sound guys or
Old 04-11-2005, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

since you know nothing about swaps good choice...

Old 04-11-2005, 04:56 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: B18a1 v.s. Mini-Me ... (b16delteg)

Mini me's aren't fast...
Old 04-11-2005, 06:48 AM

Default Re: B18a1 v.s. Mini-Me ... (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mini me's aren't fast...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought you were the Mini Me Guru?
Old 04-11-2005, 07:18 AM
Risky Business

Default Re: B18a1 v.s. Mini-Me ... (spoon.eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoon.eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I thought you were the Mini Me Guru? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I am, and i've driven an LS powered civic and its much faster

Old 04-11-2005, 07:18 AM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18a1 v.s. Mini-Me ... (spoon.eg)

b18a would walk all over a mini-me (unless it's boosting) but b18 is going to cost you hell alot more then a mini-me. Especially if you got all d series parts in your car.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:21 AM
Risky Business

Default Re: B18a1 v.s. Mini-Me ... (ABK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">b18a would walk all over a mini-me (unless it's boosting) but b18 is going to cost you hell alot more then a mini-me. Especially if you got all d series parts in your car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep...my car right now would walk all over any stock LS...and I paid $1300 for my turbo kit. I personally would skip the mini-me and just straight boost the motor if you're going to stay D, otherwise, don't waste your time.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yep...my car right now would walk all over any stock LS...and I paid $1300 for my turbo kit. I personally would skip the mini-me and just straight boost the motor if you're going to stay D, otherwise, don't waste your time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Truer words cannot be spoken.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yep...my car right now would walk all over any stock LS...and I paid $1300 for my turbo kit. I personally would skip the mini-me and just straight boost the motor if you're going to stay D, otherwise, don't waste your time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well i have the mini-me in my car right now ... i know it's not fast but it's alot better than just the B7 ... My plan right now is to used the money i've saved up to buy a Zex Cam adj. cam gear & nitrous ... you guys think thats a good idea ? or
Old 04-11-2005, 08:39 AM

turbo the mini-me
Old 04-11-2005, 09:12 AM
Risky Business

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg8kid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Well i have the mini-me in my car right now ... i know it's not fast but it's alot better than just the B7 ...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree...i'm glad I did my mini me...BUT i'd be much faster if I just turboed the damn thing in the first place

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg8kid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
My plan right now is to used the money i've saved up to buy a Zex Cam adj. cam gear & nitrous ... you guys think thats a good idea ? or
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had an exospeed cam and a cam gear, and I felt like a 2 HP difference. I was gonna go nitrous, but wanted power all of the time. I sold the cam and pieced together a turbo kit. And it was the best decision I ever made.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I had an exospeed cam and a cam gear, and I felt like a 2 HP difference. I was gonna go nitrous, but wanted power all of the time. I sold the cam and pieced together a turbo kit. And it was the best decision I ever made.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yah ... well the only reason i'm doing the cam and cam gear is just for the ability to tune the engine a little better & also give the motor a better lift ... Also i'm still debating on nitrous & turbo ... i'm leaning more towards the nitrous just because i'd only run it at the track , so i wouldn't have to worry about problems with it because it's my daily driver ... I also plan on getting uberdata done in a couple of weeks along with the cam and adj. cam gear
Old 04-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'd turbo the mini-me for that sexy blow off valve....

so sessy...

when i hear nitrous i think of paul walker in F&F.....
Old 04-11-2005, 12:23 PM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

b series parts are a lot more exspensive then d series parts. thats why im sticking with my mini me.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:23 PM

Lol Paul Walker...Anyways just go with the nitrous for the reasons you stated yourself. If its a daily driven car no need to put that much wear on it all the time especially if its an old motor.

Quick Reply: B18a1 v.s. Mini-Me ...