Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b18a1 timing

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18a1 timing

hey guys,

so ive got a 93 ls engine in my 92 civic cx engine has been rebuilt (lower end) issue im having is ive never done dohc timing before..... ive got the crank at tdc and the cams the way i believe they should go (pictures attached) but my distributor rotor points at #2 cylinder when piston 1 is at tdc...... ive got the helms manual and have gone off of that as far as setting things up (tdc) but i am lost now not sure where to go from here any help is definitely appreciated

crank pulley
Old 03-21-2019, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: b18a1 timing

If everything is TDC cam gears and crank then your good to go on those.

As far as the the rotor pointing at number 2 plug. You need to leave everything TDC and loosen the distributor bolts, should be 3 size 12mm. Take the distributor off and rotate the rotor to where it points to plug number 1. Install the distributor back and fire it up. Make sure u have a timing light to set the ignition timing to 16*
Old 03-22-2019, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default Re: b18a1 timing

It is NOT possible for everything to be in proper mechanical time and the distributor rotor button point to the #2 position... period. So, the real question is what is the possible cause of the issue at hand ???

1) Remove the cam gears and the crank pulley to make sure that all keyways are in place and undamaged. Check the crank timing gear and make sure it isn't installed backwards. While the crank pulley is removed, install a lower timing cover so that you can use the timing pointer to align with the crank pulley.

2) Make sure that the rotor button hasn't rotated on the distributor shaft itself. That clear cap/rotor button crap that you have installed should be considered suspect... I suggest you get a FACTORY HONDA cap and rotor button with a new rotor button screw. This eliminates this possible issue.

3) Check the distributor tangs and make sure that they aren't damaged/worn. Also, not forced into the cam slots 180' out.

4) The photos of the cam gears that you have taken aren't actually IN MECHANICAL TIME... they are close, but not there. For ease, I suggest you paint the opposing notch on each gear so that it is quite easy to align all four marks. When the gears are at TDC, you can take a ruler/straight edge and place the edge between the far left and far right marks... and the two center marks will fall on the edge as well.

5) Incidentally, the crank timing gear has a line on the face of it that will point at the "V" cast into the oil pump when the crank is at TDC... this does NOT correspond to the TDC mark on the crank pulley.

So, check all of this and report back.