Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B18A1 Swap Questions, not the usual ones.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18A1 Swap Questions, not the usual ones.

Ok first off, i have searched and searched and searched.

Car is a 94 Civic DX Coupe, 5 Spd.

I just bought a B18A1 Long block. It has no accessories at all, no alternator, no dizzy, no nothing. Its oilpan to valve cover, and thats it.

I know what major parts i need for the swap, thats not my question.

I'm wondering what parts, if any, off of my D15b2 will fit the B18.

I know my tranny won't fit, obviously.

Will any of these fit?
-Alternator
-A/C Compressor
-Starter
-Distributor (i know the part numbers on the dizzy caps and rotors are the same)

I am certainly no novice. I'm just trying to save money where ever i can.
I'm already going to have to drop a load on flywheel, clutch, tranny, mounts, Intake Manifold, ECU (i'm sending my civic's ecu to Phearable), preventive maintenance, shift linkage, axles, brakes, tie rods, tires, alignment, etc.... So where ever i can save money at, is a definite plus. Car must have A/C as well, and i'm probably going to just order a reman. compressor cause my current one is starting to act up.

This car is my daily driver, and I spend most of my budgeted money for cars on my BMW, as I'm currently in the process of doing a 2.7i conversion on it.

I just happened to get too good of a deal to pass up on this b18 and the cheaper i can get this motor in, the better.

So, sorry if this has been answered before but after a week of searching countless forums for an answer, and staring at diagrams and comparing part numbers, i figured it was time to just ask.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18A1 Swap Questions, not the usual ones.

these no -Alternator
-A/C Compressor
-Starter

and i dont know about the dizzy
Old 07-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any others?

Thanks for the response.

Has anyone tried it or is everyone just saying it won't fit because the internet says so?

I know that the diagrams for both motors look IDENTICAL, when it comes to the Alternator and the a/c compressor. I figured the starter won't work, and really i'm wanting to replace my compressor anyways, so it doesn't really matter if it won't fit.

I guess really, i just want to use my old alternator and dizzy. Obviously if i were to use the alternator i would have to change the pulley on it, which is not a big deal. I don't have Power Steering, car never had it. it would be nice if i could hold off on a compressor if mine would by chance fit. Knowing that the dizzy cap and rotor, i would assume that the "amount" of spark, or voltage, would be the same, so knowing that, the d15 dizzy would definetly work if it will indeed bolt up. I guess the best way to know is to just try it, i just don't want to go taking **** apart just to see if it will work before i'm ready to do the swap. This is my Daily, and i don't have alot of time for it to be down right now.

Once my E30 is put back together, i'll daily drive it for a while and take the civic apart to clean everything up and get it ready for the swap.

Sorry my posts are so long, i like to give alot of details and be clear about things.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The a/c compressor will work, I don't know what that guy was talking about.

You will have to source the Del Sol VTEC a/c bracket and bolt it to your b18, then the compressor will bolt to that and work just fine. I believe it is called a P54 bracket, but don't hold me to it.

The alternator I am not sure about, so I won't comment on that.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 90civichb
The a/c compressor will work, I don't know what that guy was talking about.

You will have to source the Del Sol VTEC a/c bracket and bolt it to your b18, then the compressor will bolt to that and work just fine. I believe it is called a P54 bracket, but don't hold me to it.

The alternator I am not sure about, so I won't comment on that.
this guy is right, also I think the crv bracket should also work and be cheaper and easier to find.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the ac will def work and as long as the dizzy is the same obd i think it would work.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by b18cKoupe
this guy is right, also I think the crv bracket should also work and be cheaper and easier to find.
Agreed. I forgot about the CRV bracket... But, I think with the CRV bracket, it won't fit if you are maintaining power steering. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I know from first-hand experience that the Del Sol VTEC bracket allows you to retain the d-series compressor fitting like stock as well as the power steering pump, as this is what a friend of mine used when installing a JDM B18C into his 94 Si a few years ago.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I once heard that you can make any alternator work on any car, as long as it will mount up. You might have to wire it yourself, which shouldn't be hard, you just wouldn't have the plug for it, should you put a different one on down the road. Don't take my word on this, as I've never tried it myself, but I heard this from David on Davidsfarm on YouTube.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ronnoc74
I once heard that you can make any alternator work on any car, as long as it will mount up. You might have to wire it yourself, which shouldn't be hard, you just wouldn't have the plug for it, should you put a different one on down the road. Don't take my word on this, as I've never tried it myself, but I heard this from David on Davidsfarm on YouTube.
You can't be serious? That guy is a complete moron who digs in the garbage and builds trash gadgets for a living.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The dizzy will work if both are odb1 92 and up for tegs i believe??? BUt it wont bolt up correctly off a d you will get one bolt in fine and have to notch the other out.You will get 2 in er.Its a quick fix for now.Also your firing order is different ....Well it shouldnt matter about obd1 he is using his harness with his dizzy. hope i helped out
Old 07-13-2010, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cjw_89
The dizzy will work if both are odb1 92 and up for tegs i believe??? BUt it wont bolt up correctly off a d you will get one bolt in fine and have to notch the other out.You will get 2 in er.Its a quick fix for now.Also your firing order is different ....Well it shouldnt matter about obd1 he is using his harness with his dizzy. hope i helped out
Firing order is the same, pretty sure itl fit but u may only get one bolt in and have to notch or cut the other ears off