Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B18 Turbos...

Old 01-10-2004, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18 Turbos...

Hey guys,
I've been reading this forum for a few months now and what i have noticed countless people have B18 turbo setups going. Now i realize there is a rather large difference when comparing the B18B to B18C and so on, but lets just say B18S in general for simplicity sake.

What I would like to know is just what kind of QM times are rather common to see with a B18 Turbo setup with a few bolt on mods. I realize this is a vague question but am hoping someone, or hopefully a few people could shed some light on the subject. See the thing is, is that I am looking into the H22-EK swap.

Many have seemed to frown upon the Hseries swap and lets not get into that because i am well aware of things (i have read that Hseries swap thread up here). I just want to know how badly beaten i will get in my stock H22A vs some b18 turbos. Frankly, i would LOVE to own a b18 turbo setup, but i simply do not have the cash for that. So please try and keep opinions out of this and strickly factual info.

Please let me know what you guys think because I dont even wanna go through with the swap if im going to get annihilated in a QM race. Only a few months now to get my car going and titled (its got salvage) before spring hits and i work quite slow.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:43 PM

Default Re: B18 Turbos... (97civicracer)

hmm....it's really hard to answer your question because there are so many variables. the chassis the motor is in, turbo size, internal work, driving ability, etc.

the h22 in the ek will be able to "keep" up to some boosted cars if their running low boost possibly, but then it also depends how worked the h22 is
Old 01-10-2004, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18 Turbos... (nY's FiNeSt)

Well im just talking about a stock EK (or EG)-theres only about a 100lb difference. granted thats kinda big but bear in mind here, im just looking for a rough estimate.

like i said though, a stock H22A. maybe a few bolt ons, but nothing thats gonna increase the HP of any bragging right beyond stock ratings.

maybe i should just say stock b18C turbo? i duno, was just expecting some to say "well, theyd be about a second ahead of you with a C" or something..

thanks for commenting though so promtly
Old 01-10-2004, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it really depends on so many things,like said above.
as far as 1/4 times,with a turbo B-series motor,you're making enough power that tires(anything besides slicks is a waste),driver(really takes some finesse to put 300WHP to the ground through the front wheels) and suspension(gotta have all the help you can get to put down that power) all play a huge role in the times...
of course,the turbo B series motor will have a pretty big HP and torque advantage over the H22.now,a turbo H22 will be just insane
my only issue with the H22 would be having to use aftermarket mounts(depends on whether you mind the extra vibration),and i've heard of some people having problems with the axles.
bottom line,i'd say it;s just a matter of personal preference.you can do the basic H22 or B series swap for around the same price.it would cost about the same to turbo either also......
NA the H22 definately has an advantage.turbo'd,either has more power than you need for the street,and more than enough to run good times at the track with a good driver.
chris
Old 01-10-2004, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18 Turbos... (TeamNextGenChris)

Sorry guys, I guess im just not being clear at all. Most of the guys i would run with have cheaper slicks, can drive well, (because they've done it for a yeard now) and have stiffer suspensions- like GroundControl, etc.

I simply would go insane if i got killed by one. The thing is that a few people in my area are big into their civics and i wanna run next to with my EK. most of the engines i suspect are internally built. just bolt ons and turbo. PSI couldnt be TOO variant if its just bolt ons, could it?-with keeping in mind they're all daily driven so the PSI couldnt be too close to ruining things...
Old 01-10-2004, 10:11 PM

turbo size and # of pounds run is a HUGE factor...
Old 01-10-2004, 10:15 PM

Default Re: B18 Turbos... (nY's FiNeSt)

<---- 10psi on stock internal B18b fed by a T28 intercooled in an EG.... mid to low 13's on cheater slicks.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18 Turbos... (ARIZONA)

thanks AZ for giving me an estimate

lets face it, it is none too common to see BBT5's with 20 psi in a stock b18? theres only SO much it can handle.