Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b18 swap turbo, doesnt make sense

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18 swap turbo, doesnt make sense

i have a 94 civic coupe w/ b18b1 with a rear mount turbo tuned this weekend at 8lbs and they were only able to do one pull before their 02 went out and they said it only made 147whp???? yes all the air and fuel is upgraded, 255 pump, 440 injectors, aftermarket regulator, tuned with crome..............how is this low number possible? esp. when im pulling from rsx type s acuras pretty hard?
Old 08-22-2006, 06:14 PM

Default Re: b18 swap turbo, doesnt make sense (wonka)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wonka &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a 94 civic coupe w/ b18b1 with a rear mount turbo tuned this weekend at 8lbs </TD></TR></TABLE>

what the hell is a rear mount turbo??
Old 08-22-2006, 06:29 PM

Default Re: b18 swap turbo, doesnt make sense (wonka)

REAR MOUNT IS FOR PUS*YS AN IS THE BIGGEST WAST OF ******* MONEY!! BIG TURBO GOOD WAST OF MONEY
Old 08-22-2006, 06:33 PM

Default Re: b18 swap turbo, doesnt make sense (ci_v_ic)

what is a rear mount turbo?
Old 08-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rear mount tubro? Sounds like SC IMO :-P

Get a video if u dusting an RSX type-S, b/c 8lbs on a LS motor isn't going to "blow away" K20's IMO....

So get the video of u pulling on them. The nubmer seems believable if the rear mount turbo is as shitty as slow94eg6 makes it out to be..LS is only 142 at the fly, BHP it's probably only 110 or 120 or so..so the #'s believable - if the rear mount turbo is as bad as it sounds..THough u have to combined that w/ the fact of 2 things:
A: W/ that setup I doubt ur pulling on RSX-S's....video = thx
B: If your car only dynoed 142 then it's either incorrect (unlikely), or ur lying about pullin on the RSX's (makes sense).

EDIT:
PS: THe only reason u'd be pulling on an RSX is the weight advantage.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:49 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

i think he's talking about the turbo mounting on the exhaust pipe towards the rear of the car. i think innovative made a kit that was in honda tuning a long time ago, if i remeber right it got 60ish hp on an itr
Old 08-22-2006, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think STS made one for the itr but i don't think it's listed on their site anymore. i know they make 'em for GTO's and the like. my friends boss has one of those RMTK's and the frickin car is redonkulous...i mean it was pretty fast b4 but the kit made a good difference.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:20 AM

Default Re: (jz98ctr)

i only weigh 2,230 lbs........btw i just had it tuned by someone else, 206whp and yes, i pull hard from a type s, they only put down 165 whp stock.......im going to relocate the turbo under the hood.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:24 AM

Default Re: (wonka)

Not to go against the group but there are plus side to have a rear turbo set up, And if you do it right It is better then SOME under the hood setups.
Plus:
Don't have the hear under the hood. There is something call heat soak which is very very bad. With a turbo under the hood it will rish the under hood temp alot. This will heat everything up the intake itself will be very hot which will heat the incoming air. To fix this people run big intercoolers that have large pressure downs in them. Bigger intercoolers are not always a great thing. Not have a intercooler will let you have little to no pressure down from the turbo to the intake. But wont cool the income air as much, these isn't a big problem for rear turbo setups because the longer pipping can cool the air.

Cons:
The biggest down side to the rear setup is that it has/could have more turbo lag. But being so far back give you the ablity to not have to use an intercooler because the piping for the turbo to the intake will act as one. To counter the turbo lag which comes not only from the turbo being farther way from the engine, "the being of the exhuast has more pressure to spin the turbo" but also from the longer piping to the engine. But the same is true about having over sized intercoolers and alot of intercooler piping it with incease your turbo lag. dual ball bearing turbo, dual scrolling turbo will cut down the lag and using it on a larger displacment engine will also cut it down.

For you that do have the turbo under the hood they are the best way to go for must people, to get the best performance out of it you should have a evo style hood to help move that hot air out of the engine bay, and not use the biggest F***ing intercooler you can find it just wont help you that much and it blockes the radiator so it doesn't cool as well.

1. dual ball bearing turbo a Must!!
2. Smaller turbo = fast spool everyone knows these.
3. Performance header
4. Only use about 2 1/4 piping or 2 1/2 "there is No need for a 3" header back; 1.6-1.8 don't flow that much.
5. No cat "Not steer Legal"
6. There isn't much need for an intercooler, a small side mount or small front mount should do it.
7.weld the pipe that goes from the turbo to the intake so it doesnt have any leakes,Do not weld the pipe to the turbo or to the intake.

If I mess spelled words I'm sorry doing this fast at work. Any other thought from people please let me know.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:40 AM

Default Re: (lucky4586)

i have a t4, 2 1/2'' piping, all welded, no intercooler but do have a water cooler and a gutted cat, dc header.........the turbo set up is done right. i have the intake up through the trunk with a custom body intake from the side of the car straight to the pipe.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (wonka)

T04... my guess is thats why its not making all that much. The b18b1 starts loosing torque majorly after 4500 rpm, almost regardless of mods (besides vtec head). At that rpm the straight T4 turbo is probably *just* starting to produce boost. T04's are for v8's/strips/nos, not hondas. T3/T04s are a different matter though, sure its not a hybrid? Take a ride in a honda with a smaller turbo - they can be more fun on the street.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:43 AM

Default Re: (HiProfile)

If i were to setup a rear turbo, I would use something like a t3/t4 or smaller