Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B16B or Turbocharged D16Y8?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 08:53 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 B16B or Turbocharged D16Y8?

I can already foresee the outcome of this thread, but nonetheless I’m going to do this and see what the general opinion is.

Basically I’m looking to go one of two routes right now and I don’t see any other options being brought into consideration, even if one of these is completely shot down. What I’m contemplating is 1) turbocharging the D16Y8 in the car already and swapping it to a five speed in the process but otherwise leaving it stock or 2) buying a B16B from HMO and having close to the same power with much more expandability in the future if I so desire. The only reason turbocharging the D16 is an option is because I desperately want the sound of a turbo spooling and a blowoff valve releasing but I’m leaving a swap open because I know in the long run it’ll be a better platform to build off of (something I’m not sure I even want to do).

I know though, that I can’t just slap a turbo on the D16 without tuning or bigger injectors and some supporting mods (like fuel system upgrades and even monitoring gauges), and all that has been factored in, so let’s not try to surprise me because I definitely know what has to be done for both sides to work. It’s also important to note I will be doing everything sans tuning so installation charges don’t apply.

Now H-T, rip into me for being a moron for even considering a SOHC. But seriously, thanks for any feedback guys/girls.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:59 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: B16B or Turbocharged D16Y8?

I really HATE these "how do I spend my money?" threads. If you have done ANY real research you would realize you aren't breaking ANY new ground asking this question. One of these gets asked at least once a month. The answers are always the same.

People that HATE the D-series will give you their biased answers and the fans of the D-series will give you theirs. In the end. No definitive answer will be given because of the subjective, non-technical nature, of the question.

You also gave NO indication of your goals, budget, purpose of the car or any other determining factor that would garner a specific answer. In other words, a waste of time.

You want to turbo a car for the sound? Fail answer right there.

Last edited by grumblemarc; 10-02-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:09 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: B16B or Turbocharged D16Y8?

How about this?
In this thread, list YOUR pros and cons for boosting the D-series and then the pros and cons for swapping the engine. I think you'll pretty much answer your own questions.