Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b16b head ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16b head ?

hi i just recently did a jdm b18b swap in a eg, later on down the road im going ls-v
im thinking about the b16b head on the ls block fully built from bottom up je, and crower all the way. ima build it low compression so i can boost. also i havent seen a b16b head on anything except the full swap.

give me some thoughts on the head, or swap itself. would it be difficult or pretty much the same as any other vtec head, also ive been searchin and they seem impossible to find (just the head) let me know if u know where to pick one up.
thanks.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

it the same as a type r b18c head with better cams
Old 10-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (egsleepercivic)

yeah the internals in the head are sweet thats another reason why i want to use it, also it would be somethin different as far as ls-v that everyone is doin.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:41 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (egjdmcivichatch)

whats the point of even going to crower if youre going to spend the money on a b16b head?

why not just get a b16a head and port it then go with said company.

btw b16b = de stroked type-r
Old 10-31-2007, 12:46 AM

Default Re: (suicide_shift)

b16b it just has dual inner and outer valve springs on both intake and exhaust. but if your gonna build a setup than go with a b16a head and port it and go to town on it. the b16b and b16a and b18c5 are the same cast head. its the same head with different internals and a polish from factory. nothing special.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16b head ? (egjdmcivichatch)

i feel what ur sayin,the b16b head prolly wouldnt be worth it.
thanks on the input so far. just thinkin of somethin different plus there not cheap.
probably going to settle for a jdm b16sir11 head fully built, ported polished etc.. with a c5 tranny.

how high of revs do u think the b18b bottom end could hold with arp rod bolts and a block girdle with stock sleeves?
Old 10-31-2007, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16b head ? (egjdmcivichatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egjdmcivichatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i feel what ur sayin,the b16b head prolly wouldnt be worth it.
thanks on the input so far. just thinkin of somethin different plus there not cheap.
probably going to settle for a jdm b16sir11 head fully built, ported polished etc.. with a c5 tranny.

how high of revs do u think the b18b bottom end could hold with arp rod bolts and a block girdle with stock sleeves?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why would you dump soo much money into building a head and skimp on the bottom end, you have to have decent cp to make use of that head work. What happened to being fully built?
Old 10-31-2007, 06:10 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: b16b head ? (boostinCX)

And why even bother with an LS/VTEC setup if you're building the block for boost? You can make a tremendous amount of power using the existing non-VTEC head.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:49 PM

Default Re: b16b head ? (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And why even bother with an LS/VTEC setup if you're building the block for boost? You can make a tremendous amount of power using the existing non-VTEC head. </TD></TR></TABLE>
+1 putting a vtec head of any type (b161 or b16b or b18c5) will bump the compression up. just keep it as ls turbo. vtec really just makes tuning harder and takes longer, vtec doesnt serve as big a purpose in turbo setups as with n/a setups. keep it cheaper and just use the moeny u'd use on a built vtec head on a good quality home made turbo kit.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16b head ? (Lordofdark176)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lordofdark176 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">+1 putting a vtec head of any type (b161 or b16b or b18c5) will bump the compression up. just keep it as ls turbo. vtec really just makes tuning harder and takes longer, vtec doesnt serve as big a purpose in turbo setups as with n/a setups. keep it cheaper and just use the moeny u'd use on a built vtec head on a good quality home made turbo kit.</TD></TR></TABLE> how does it make tuning harder? if anything i would recommend using a vtec head in any situation turbo or na!
Old 10-31-2007, 07:06 PM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And why even bother with an LS/VTEC setup if you're building the block for boost? You can make a tremendous amount of power using the existing non-VTEC head. </TD></TR></TABLE>

the problem with putting it in the sense that you did was basically you just told him an LS head out flows a b16a casting...........we all know that isnt true...... id edit or clerify tht what YOU meant to say was why bother spendoing the extra money in hunting down a good used b16a head (which is in the 350 dollar range)

weh nyou can HEVILY modify a LS head which are easier to find and might fit to your purpose.......................since he was going to extensively modify the b16a head..............

the LS head will not make more power than any vtec head stock for stock.,.....this is what he meant ..........unless he does think the LS head is better than anything, then dont take ANY of his advice
Old 10-31-2007, 07:16 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: b16b head ? (suicide_shift)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suicide_shift &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the problem with putting it in the sense that you did was basically you just told him an LS head out flows a b16a casting........... </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think that was implied in my post at all, and I caution you against putting words in my mouth and then following up by telling others "not to take my advice". What I was pointing out was the fact that he will have absolutely no problems making a great deal of power (indeed, potentially more than traction on street tires will allow) using a non-VTEC head with his build.

When you're constructing a fully-build B18B for forced induction, installing a VTEC head is simply not going to be the determining factor in huge power output (assuming that's what he's after).

Old 10-31-2007, 07:23 PM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I don't think that was implied in my post at all, and I caution you against putting words in my mouth and then following up by telling others "not to take my advice". What I was pointing out was the fact that he will have absolutely no problems making a great deal of power (indeed, potentially more than traction on street tires will allow) using a non-VTEC head with his build.

When you're constructing a fully-build B18B for forced induction, installing a VTEC head is simply not going to be the determining factor in huge power output (assuming that's what he's after). </TD></TR></TABLE>

well thats what i got from it..........and who knows maybe he did too. what if he went on the dyno and started spatting about how an LS head is superior to the b16 head just becuase he has a turbo.......we all know this sint true becuase a LS vtec that had been turbo charged will out flow a LS using the stock head............
Old 11-01-2007, 02:24 AM

Default Re: b16b head ? (raphael)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raphael &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> how does it make tuning harder? if anything i would recommend using a vtec head in any situation turbo or na! </TD></TR></TABLE>
when you tune a vtec engine, you must set the crossover high and tune the low speed cam, then set the crossover low and tune the high speed cam, then set it where it should be and tune how it should be in normal driving.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just askin case my buddy is thinkin about boostin on stock block.
me im definatley going to build it, sleeved, pistons, balanced crank, arp rod and head bolts, girdle etc....

so what im reading so far is which one would be better? a fully build b16a head or fully build b18b head.
i thought making it vtec was the best of both world ls block low compression for boost, and the vtec head for top end power and higher revs.......
Old 11-01-2007, 09:31 AM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: b16b head ? (suicide_shift)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suicide_shift &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well thats what i got from it...........</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not sure how. Anyone with basic reading comprehension skills can easily discern what I was trying to express.

Please point out to me where I stated that the LS head "outflows" the PR3, or that it is somehow superior.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lordofdark176 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
when you tune a vtec engine, you must set the crossover high and tune the low speed cam, then set the crossover low and tune the high speed cam, then set it where it should be and tune how it should be in normal driving. </TD></TR></TABLE>settle down guys settle down! ive had enough with people arguing in every thread cant we just share info without having to make other people feel stupid. BTW i didnt think that the vtec head was that MUCH harder to tune than the base ls head! good info on the description!
Old 11-01-2007, 12:58 PM

Default Re: b16b head ? (raphael)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raphael &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">settle down guys settle down! ive had enough with people arguing in every thread cant we just share info without having to make other people feel stupid. BTW i didnt think that the vtec head was that MUCH harder to tune than the base ls head! good info on the description!</TD></TR></TABLE>
lol no harm meant my bad . yeah to an experienced shop, it probably isnt much harder but honestly not having vtec with boost is just simpler and cheaper. i say boost an ls, its going to be a **** ton cheaper in the end.