Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b16b = smog legal in cali?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16b = smog legal in cali?

basically i searched and searched and cant find any clear answers. basically i have a full 1998 b16b swap. i am currently running a 1994 b16a3 complete swap with a BAR sticker in 1993 civic si.

i wanna know, what if i were to convert my car obd1 to obd2a including gettin a new cat that house a o2 sensor and basically make it look oem. swap over all usdm emissions stuff and run a usdm ecu such as a unmodified p30? do you think i can get this motor BAR'd? i know its never offered in the states, but cant it be ref due to its similarity with a b16a?

i have email BAR themselves, just awaitin replies and want to see if anyone here or knows anyone that has first hand experience. thanks for any help you can contribute.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: b16b = smog legal in cali? (CivicSiRX)

from what i understand you cant pass because there is no usdm B16B
Old 06-16-2005, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see why not, it's the mechanical equivolent, same vehile class, same year or newer, and if you use all the appropiate US emissions equipment, it should be fine.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:04 AM

Default Re: b16b = smog legal in cali? (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">from what i understand you cant pass because there is no usdm B16B </TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont know, but wasnt Civic Type R available for some time before? or if its NOT B16B?
just wondering
Old 06-16-2005, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92b16vx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92b16vx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't see why not, it's the mechanical equivolent, same vehile class, same year or newer, and if you use all the appropiate US emissions equipment, it should be fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Be that as it may, there is no US counterpart. This engine was never available in the United States therefore, there is no "appropriate US emmisions equipment" to compare it to. And California has the stricted emissions laws in our nation.

James

Modified by Jedi_Sol at 9:29 AM 6/16/2005
Old 06-16-2005, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jedi_Sol)

the b16b is not legal neither is the b20. even if its a usdm b20
Old 06-16-2005, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jedi_Sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jedi_Sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Be that as it may, there is not US counterpart. This engine was never available in the United States and California has the stricted emissions laws in our nation.

James</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yea, I talked to a CARB rep one time, dude was a *****, I didn't ask about the B16B, but from what he said, my interpetation would be that since it has three other mechanically familiar counterparts parts here, it should be a go provided the other factors are met, maybe not though.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (built562)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by built562 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the b16b is not legal neither is the b20. even if its a usdm b20</TD></TR></TABLE>
But the B20 isn't a legal swap because it is in another class, it's a light truck engine.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guy, bump to the top, hopefully more answers.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Re: (CivicSiRX)

if u can smog a skyline legally (with the proper mods), why cant u smog a swap of a motor (legally)than doesnt exist in the us even tho u can get it under the emissions?
Old 06-17-2005, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ReD . EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ReD . EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if u can smog a skyline legally (with the proper mods), why cant u smog a swap of a motor (legally)than doesnt exist in the us even tho u can get it under the emissions?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You could smog a SKYLINE legally. The car not the motor. If it was swapped it wont pass.

You could also pass a CTR to make it legal in Cali/states but it has to be imported in. You cant pass there swaps.

Those test are completely different then swaps. They have differnt rules and what not for imported cars, and they cost a grip.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The guy I talked to at the CARB said, and I quote "when you swap a motor, it has to be with one that has a version in the US, or the mechanical equivolent." A b16B has three mechanical equivolents in the US. Why do you think people can BAR ZC's?
Old 06-17-2005, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

interesting. i havent received word from BAR themselves yet but bump for more answers. thanks mang.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92b16vx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The guy I talked to at the CARB said, and I quote "when you swap a motor, it has to be with one that has a version in the US, or the mechanical equivolent." A b16B has three mechanical equivolents in the US. Why do you think people can BAR ZC's?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-18-2005, 02:23 PM

Might be different in cali but here is AZ I cant pass emissions with my B16B because im running the CTR (PCT) ECU. And from what i understand the test equipment that the emissions department uses, wont read a JDM ECU and they automatically fail you. So you have to run a US ECU, which means changing alot of thing to make a JDM motor run clean and codeless on a US ECU. Basically here in AZ its a bitch to pass im sure cali is the same if not worse. But ther are always ways around such things
Old 07-28-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Re: (1point6B)

move to utah
Old 07-28-2005, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it's off topic, and it doesn't help your question, but I'm just gonna say it anyway.

For the same amounts of cash (roughly) someone can get a jdm b18c(R) and smog it much easier than a b16b.

just saying.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: (1point6B)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1point6B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Might be different in cali but here is AZ I cant pass emissions with my B16B because im running the CTR (PCT) ECU. And from what i understand the test equipment that the emissions department uses, wont read a JDM ECU and they automatically fail you. So you have to run a US ECU, which means changing alot of thing to make a JDM motor run clean and codeless on a US ECU. Basically here in AZ its a bitch to pass im sure cali is the same if not worse. But ther are always ways around such things </TD></TR></TABLE>

100% correct.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:54 PM
New User

My best friend's brother is a state ref in CA so I ask him these questions all the time. Here's what he's told me. In the past, he was able to pass JDM engines but now, he can only pass USDM engines. These guys know if its USDM or JDM by the engine stamps....they can even tell you the year of your engine to make sure it is the same or newer than your car. What you can do is use a USDM block, install the CTR internals, use the matching USDM manifold and vacume lines. If and when you pass and get your BAR sticker, swap out your manifold for the CTR. As for converting to OBDII, wouldn't it be easier to reprogram an OBDI computer with CTR specs???

Oh yeah, I tried smogging my Accord with a JDM ecu (the USDM Prelude ecu has the immobilizer) and when they plugged into my computer, they couldn't get a read. I plugged in my original Accord ecu and it solved the problem and my car passed.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92b16vx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The guy I talked to at the CARB said, and I quote "when you swap a motor, it has to be with one that has a version in the US, or the mechanical equivolent." A b16B has three mechanical equivolents in the US. Why do you think people can BAR ZC's?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have never heard of this and dont believe it until i see proof.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xEnderx)

when i went in to bar my b16, the ref said i needed a p28 to pass..haha. you might get lucky and have a ref thats totally clueless.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16b = smog legal in cali? (XxRONNxX)

[QUOTE=XxRONNxX] Here's what he's told me. In the past, he was able to pass JDM engines but now, he can only pass USDM engines. QUOTE]

thats a bunch of b/s, did they all of the sudden change the laws?
Old 07-28-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Re: b16b = smog legal in cali? (AnDThEnWuT)

^^^ Yeah....they do that sometimes.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16b = smog legal in cali? (xEnderx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xEnderx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^^ Yeah....they do that sometimes. </TD></TR></TABLE>

sometimes???...more like all the time
Old 07-28-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Re: b16b = smog legal in cali? (EBPimpSi)

Thats one fo teh reasons I am moving back to the south. **** this western US crap.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:42 PM

i tried to smog mine without going to a ref because the guy was totally clueless and thought it was the original motor...then he tried to plug into the diagnostics and it wouldn't read...he was still cool and checked to see what it was spitting out anyway...he told me cali law is .5% fuel emission and i was at 8%...oops...it was just easier to find someone to do it under the table...and maybe even cheaper then reprogramming an ecu or changing over all necessary emission components, either way i have over a year to figure something out...until then i'm registered and tagged...also i plugged a usdm ecu and had too many codes to even want to deal with.

Quick Reply: b16b = smog legal in cali?