Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b16a4? no idea

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16a4? no idea

hello honda tech i just have a quick question about the b16a4 motor. im sure most of you are like there is no b16a4 motor. but i just pick up a b16a4 block today. for a build and would just like to know what chassis and where at in the world this motor came in. i looked it up it said somthing about it being in a 96-00 jdm civic sir II. somthing like that but. the thing is all jdm motors no matter what chassis or different obd system it was always just say b16a. i check nofx's engine and chassis page but was not even in there. and btw it does have the oil cooler on the back like the jdm motors. if anyone has any information on this b16a4 please let me know. i will take a pic tomorow to show that its stamped b16a4. its just to late for me to do it now i just drove four and a half hours one way to pick this block up.

Last edited by 2000siturboR; 05-18-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:34 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: b16a4? no idea

B16A4 1.6 16V DOHC VTEC PGM-FI 1595 170hp@7800rpm ? 96-00 Civic Si-RII
i found this...
never heard of the damn thing before today.
only a1.a2.a3 and now a4 wow lol
Old 05-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why would you buy it before you know what it is? It might not even be Honda for civic sake.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
B16A4 1.6 16V DOHC VTEC PGM-FI 1595 170hp@7800rpm ? 96-00 Civic Si-RII
i found this...
never heard of the damn thing before today.
only a1.a2.a3 and now a4 wow lol
just one thing tho i thought sir 2 motors didnt have a number after the A tho. like they were all b16a.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4serioferio
Why would you buy it before you know what it is? It might not even be Honda for civic sake.
wow dude just like leave. you have no idea what your talking about.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, um.. And you do? You bought this motor, and drove very far for it at that before you even knew where the motor was from and probably anything about it.

Luckily it is a pretty good motor and I hope you got a good deal on it because I am definitely not trying to hate on you.

And your right, if it has a number following the a it is not JDM, I do not know much about SiR II, however it would seem like it is a Canadian model if it does have a numeric.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_b_engine#B16A4

"B16A4

* VTEC
* Found in:
o 1996-2000 Civic Si-RII (JDM version) (EK4)
+ Displacement: 1,595 cc (97.3 cu in)
+ Compression: 10.4:1
+ Power: 130 kW (177 PS; 174 bhp) @ 7800 rpm & 111 ft·lbf (150 N·m) @ 7300 rpm
+ Redline: 8000 rpm
+ Transmission: Y21

B16A6

* VTEC
* Found in:
o 1996-2000 Honda Civic - Middle East & South Africa VTEC (EK)
+ Compression: 10.2:1
+ Power: 118 kW (160 PS; 158 bhp)"

Canadian wut wut?
Old 05-18-2009, 03:49 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

By rights, it should be just like any other OBD2 B16A.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, um.. And you do? You bought this motor, and drove very far for it at that before you even knew where the motor was from and probably anything about it.

Luckily it is a pretty good motor and I hope you got a good deal on it because I am definitely not trying to hate on you.

And your right, if it has a number following the a it is not JDM, I do not know much about SiR II, however it would seem like it is a Canadian model if it does have a numeric.
like i said in my first post. i bought the just the block. think about it. its the same bock as any other b16 its just stamped different.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

im with mcvtec why it was not stamped b16a im still confused about, and i still digging and looking around and cant find crap.
called my uncles friend who is a master honda tech never even heard of the damn thing.
i now i see there is a a6 wow lol
Old 05-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mixwell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_b_engine#B16A4

"B16A4

* VTEC
* Found in:
o 1996-2000 Civic Si-RII (JDM version) (EK4)
+ Compression: 10.4:1
+ Power: 130 kW (177 PS; 174 bhp) @ 7800 rpm & 111 ft·lbf (150 N·m) @ 7300 rpm
+ Redline: 8000 rpm
+ Transmission: Y21

B16A6

* VTEC
* Found in:
o 1996-2000 Honda Civic - Middle East & South Africa VTEC (EK)
+ Compression: 10.2:1
+ Power: 118 kW (160 PS; 158 bhp)"

Canadian wut wut?
Wiki...pedia.

You could have made the post for Christ sake.

OP: Any luck on finding out more about it?
Old 05-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nah i didnt find much more about it. like i said i bought just the block and the block is the same as any other b16 block. i was just curious on what this b16a4 was from or if anyone else heard of it.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:54 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's just a 2nd gen B16 with the p30 pistons giving the higher 10.4:1 compression which makes 170hp and 113ft lbs torque.

It's a decent platform
Old 05-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im thinking someone got creative with a b16a and got a metal punch of the number 4 and made a b16a4 so he could be the ONLY one with that engine lol
Old 05-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here are thems pic of the stamp. most of you prolly cant see it well. camera sucks. but if look at a different angle you can prolly see it.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks like a standard honda stamp to me
Old 05-20-2009, 09:12 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000siturboR
hello honda tech i just have a quick question about the b16a4 motor. im sure most of you are like there is no b16a4 motor. but i just pick up a b16a4 block today. for a build and would just like to know what chassis and where at in the world this motor came in. i looked it up it said somthing about it being in a 96-00 jdm civic sir II. somthing like that but. the thing is all jdm motors no matter what chassis or different obd system it was always just say b16a. i check nofx's engine and chassis page but was not even in there. and btw it does have the oil cooler on the back like the jdm motors. if anyone has any information on this b16a4 please let me know. i will take a pic tomorow to show that its stamped b16a4. its just to late for me to do it now i just drove four and a half hours one way to pick this block up.
First off, despite what some uneducated morons would try to tell you since they want to assume "facts", the B16A4 is a real engine.

It's supposed to be from the market called KU (United States uses KA, KH and KL - these are area or emissions codes - 49 state, California and high altitude, respectively). KU is supposed to include the following areas: KU = Malaysia, Hong Kong, Sarawak, Sabah, Fiji, Norfolk, Cyprus, Malta, Sudan, South Africa, Guana, Papua, Barbados, Pakistan, Malawi, Itthihad, Honiara, Seychelles, British Guiana, Australia and New Zealand.

This engine came in the manual transmission SiR in those countries. The automatic transmission cars with B16s in that country (yes, there were some) came with the B16A5 instead. I'm not certain of the differences, but with more research one day I might be able to tell some, which could lead to others teaching us more about them.

Sorry I can't be more descriptive than that. This is the information I've found after much searching, but without contacts in those countries it's very difficult to confirm any of this.

If anyone from those countries can send me ECU part numbers then I can confirm what those country codes are. Any good help is appreciated!
Um... I think it's pretty obvious it's a Honda engine.

First, engines are generally quite different in appearance alone from maker to maker. Toyota engines aren't often confused as Honda engines, for example.

Second, the valve cover almost definitely says "Honda Motor Co." on it.

Third, why are you even posting since it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about? Do you just really, REALLY want a higher post count?

The OP does appear to have a clue of what he is talking about. He does happen to be asking a QUESTION though. He never stated anything as ridiculous as what you posted.

Also, not all JDM engines have the X00X format. Most do, but it's not 100%.

Most countries use the X00X0 format, including, Canada, the US, Mexico and most (or all) of South America, Europe and Australia.

I've never heard of a Canadian model SiR-II.
Originally Posted by Deetz
It's just a 2nd gen B16 with the p30 pistons giving the higher 10.4:1 compression which makes 170hp and 113ft lbs torque.

It's a decent platform
I can't say I see this guy post all the time, but the times I've seen him post he seems pretty reliable. I would figure his information is probably correct.
Originally Posted by EG6Boy702
Im thinking someone got creative with a b16a and got a metal punch of the number 4 and made a b16a4 so he could be the ONLY one with that engine lol
No. There are plenty of B16A4s out there. We just don't have them here originally and it's just easier to ship engines from Japan instead of all different countries.

I really hope this helped out a little bit OP. Sorry I couldn't be more detailed and sorry I couldn't narrow the search anymore.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks you so much. you got to be the most helpful person on here. i was looking for the where the car came from. not some bs like....

Old 05-20-2009, 09:46 PM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by 2000siturboR
thanks you so much. you got to be the most helpful person on here. i was looking for the where the car came from. not some bs like....
Well, I couldn't conclusively answer your question either, but at least I hope I gave you some leads!

Granted not everyone has all the sources I currently have.

Here is a screenshot (made from four screenshots since it didn't all fit in the window at once on the screen) as an example, but it looks like the B16A4 and B16A5 (5MT and 4AT) was available in the KU 1996-2000 Civic SiR hatch and sedan (no coupes listed for KU).

Wish I could help more, but I think this is all I can offer.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:59 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NOFX
I can't say I see this guy post all the time, but the times I've seen him post he seems pretty reliable. I would figure his information is probably correct.
Thanks for the compliment! I happen to work for the Acura side of Honda Canada in the parts division and have many of the same resources as you.

In my youth, i started importing engines back in the mid 90's, and have a lot of experience with engine designations from different chassis oversea's. Volume would be in the hundreds.

I am newer to the 92-00 threads as i have more recently been taking on a couple of personal EK projects this past year. Many people know me in the EF forum, as i'm a crx nut, lol

Last edited by Deetz; 05-20-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOFX
First off, despite what some uneducated morons would try to tell you since they want to assume "facts", the B16A4 is a real engine.

It's supposed to be from the market called KU (United States uses KA, KH and KL - these are area or emissions codes - 49 state, California and high altitude, respectively). KU is supposed to include the following areas: KU = Malaysia, Hong Kong, Sarawak, Sabah, Fiji, Norfolk, Cyprus, Malta, Sudan, South Africa, Guana, Papua, Barbados, Pakistan, Malawi, Itthihad, Honiara, Seychelles, British Guiana, Australia and New Zealand.

This engine came in the manual transmission SiR in those countries. The automatic transmission cars with B16s in that country (yes, there were some) came with the B16A5 instead. I'm not certain of the differences, but with more research one day I might be able to tell some, which could lead to others teaching us more about them.

Sorry I can't be more descriptive than that. This is the information I've found after much searching, but without contacts in those countries it's very difficult to confirm any of this.

If anyone from those countries can send me ECU part numbers then I can confirm what those country codes are. Any good help is appreciated!

Um... I think it's pretty obvious it's a Honda engine.

First, engines are generally quite different in appearance alone from maker to maker. Toyota engines aren't often confused as Honda engines, for example.

Second, the valve cover almost definitely says "Honda Motor Co." on it.

Third, why are you even posting since it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about? Do you just really, REALLY want a higher post count?

The OP does appear to have a clue of what he is talking about. He does happen to be asking a QUESTION though. He never stated anything as ridiculous as what you posted.

Also, not all JDM engines have the X00X format. Most do, but it's not 100%.

Most countries use the X00X0 format, including, Canada, the US, Mexico and most (or all) of South America, Europe and Australia.

I've never heard of a Canadian model SiR-II.

No. There are plenty of B16A4s out there. We just don't have them here originally and it's just easier to ship engines from Japan instead of all different countries.

I really hope this helped out a little bit OP. Sorry I couldn't be more detailed and sorry I couldn't narrow the search anymore.
I want a higher post count to be like you, because your really cool.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:17 PM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by Deetz
Thanks for the compliment! I happen to work for the Acura side of Honda Canada in the parts division and have many of the same resources as you.

In my youth, i started importing engines back in the mid 90's, and have a lot of experience with engine designations from different chassis oversea's. Volume would be in the hundreds.

I am newer to the 92-00 threads as i have more recently been taking on a couple of personal EK projects this past year. Many people know me in the EF forum, as i'm a crx nut, lol
You're welcome, but no problem at all. Helpful people deserve compliments imo.

I should have known where I'd seen you before and why I didn't remember seeing your posts more often. I don't often venture into the 4G section.

I look forward to reading what you might be able to teach me. I'm always up for learning more about Hondas.

Please tell me if you have any resources I might not have access to (available in PM, if you want). I'll share with you if you share with me. Not sure how much I can contribute though. Either way, I will try to help if there's anyway I can.

Oh, and any Honda of Canada information is greatly appreciated since it's not really easy for me to get it. I need to get up there and raid some dealerships.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow u just made the biggest *** out of yourself.

everybody should reply to this thread laughing at him.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:19 PM
H-T White Ops

Just leave if you're not going to be of any help. You came in merely to badmouth the OP. There is nothing wrong with not having answers, but there is no point in ragging on others for not having them unless they're being like you are.

The OP did exactly what he should have done since he didn't know something he wished to know and had no luck in his search.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here is a better pic of the stamp sorry took so long just got motor back from the machine shop.