Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b16a2 tranny vs b18c1 tranny

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16a2 tranny vs b18c1 tranny

hey all i gota question. i hear alot about b16 tranny workin better with a b18c1 ENGINE. wats the difference between the 2 trannys? and 1 quick prly really stupid question, how do u power shift cuz sum1 told me how i jus dont remember everything he said
Old 03-20-2007, 06:46 PM

a B16 transmission has slightly shorter gears...... it should work fine with a b18c1.... tell youre friend hes a ricer.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (allricedout)

so the gsr tranny gears r a lil longer? no modification needed wen usin the b16 with the b18 rite?
Old 03-20-2007, 06:56 PM

Default Re: (JDean6pac)

nope as longer as your car is equipped with hydro tranny lines and a master cylinder you should be good..
Old 03-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boricuaef9)

Power shifting is just shifting without letting of the cas. I only do it from 3rd to 4th gear, only at the track.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Re: (smileycvc)

the gears are a little shorter with the b16 tranny which means you'll be revving a little higher then b18c tranny.. no theres no modification wen putting in b16 with b18c motor.. put it in and go.. speed shifting is wen you dont let your foot of the gas..i usually do it 1st-2nd sometimes 3rd to 4th...
Old 03-20-2007, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IntenseCivicSi)

Power shifting isn't worth the effort. You can be fast enough and still let your foot off the gas, if only for a split second.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can you use real words please....
"wen" "wat" "prly" "cuz" "sum1"
That **** is just annoying

The b16 tranny is just shorter - shorter gearing = faster acceleration (period). Its not that it works better with the b18c, its just shorter....

Power shifting = bye bye to your synchros (which suck to begin with)
Shift correctly...your tranny will be happy
Old 03-21-2007, 02:02 AM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

its called slang buddy.. dont worry you'll see that alot on HT..so get use to it..especially AIM...
Old 03-21-2007, 02:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sometimes there are times when there there's waay to much slang written on posts..
Old 03-21-2007, 05:04 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can you use real words please....
That **** is just annoying

The b16 tranny is just shorter - shorter gearing = faster acceleration (period). Its not that it works better with the b18c, its just shorter....

Shift correctly...your tranny will be happy</TD></TR></TABLE>

go drive a brand new evo then tell me honda syncros suck... there last an eternity even while being abused on.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IntenseCivicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its called slang buddy.. dont worry you'll see that alot on HT..so get use to it..especially AIM...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Its called annoying buddy. You will be surprised to NOT see it a lot on HT - because it bothers people.
AIM blows....

And if honda synchros are so awesome, why do so many people have trouble with them, even if not abused? It was retarded to make them out of brass. Im not saying other comanies dont suck too...but it is ridiculous
Old 03-21-2007, 10:54 AM

i dont know anyone who has trouble with them.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what about the b18c5 tranny? or is b16 tranny still shorter?
Old 03-21-2007, 02:06 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allricedout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

go drive a brand new evo then tell me honda syncros suck... there last an eternity even while being abused on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What's wrong with the synchros on a new EVO?
Old 03-21-2007, 02:28 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (JDean6pac)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDean6pac &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what about the b18c5 tranny? or is b16 tranny still shorter?</TD></TR></TABLE>

b18c5 tranny = b16 tranny + lsd

OMG!!!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 06:26 PM

Default Re: (Chim Chim)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chim Chim &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What's wrong with the synchros on a new EVO?</TD></TR></TABLE>

go to http://www.evolutionm.com everyone claims that thier syncros are grinding as soon as they drive it off the lot.... and mitsu. isnt a friendly place to accept warranty work. trust me i was close to getting a white MR.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE> x2 especially if you plain on staying all motor ....as far as honda synchros it seems a lot of hondas have problems with them including a few of mine and these trannys i've never missed any gears in and running amsoil MTF like 3rd and 4th always go .. and i really don't feel like hearing "oh its because you can't drive" yada yada yada ...so can that ****
Old 03-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IntenseCivicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its called slang buddy.. dont worry you'll see that alot on HT..so get use to it..especially AIM...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Its called take the extra .78 second to type like an intelligent, worthy member of society.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allricedout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont know anyone who has trouble with them.</TD></TR></TABLE>
O rly. Almost every honda i have been in grinds atleast 1 gear.No joke.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:01 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allricedout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

go to http://www.evolutionm.com everyone claims that thier syncros are grinding as soon as they drive it off the lot.... and mitsu. isnt a friendly place to accept warranty work. trust me i was close to getting a white MR.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is just my opinion:

I don't have any problems with my current MR... It shifts perfectly fine... IMO, the reason why people had issues with the shift quality (high RPM shifts) and claim the synchros suck is because there's quite a bit of slop in the motor mounts which a urethane insert or billet mount can fix. Another contributing factor is also the lackluster gear oil they come with from the factory. Or that they claim clutch sucks coz they kept dumping (drag launch) it and it didn't last more than 5K miles. There is a technique to driving these cars...

However, a lot of the 03's were garbage in terms of the drivetrain... There were issues improperly installed clutches, improperly shimmed rear differentials, and the infamous 2nd gear and 5th gear grind. It's the first production year and issues likes will always come up.

My personal issues with my previous 03' was the rear diff being rebuilt twice because both times they were not properly shimmed. I had the tranny rebuilt twice coz of the infamous 2nd and 5th gear grind which they put out a TSB for. And the tranfercase was replaced 3 times because of a leak. All of which was covered under warranty. The last straw being the second rear diff rebuild.

Yes, there have been quite a bit of horror stories with warranty issues, but that's the nature of the beast. People that don't really know how to drive it, abuse the car and break something by their own doing and cry foul because it wasn't covered under warranty. There's always 3 sides to every story. Their side, the dealer's side, and the truth.

The only drawback I see with the current MR is that there is more care to be taken when tracking with the 6spd tranny with above stock power... A couple of guys I know have sheered 4th gear due to high gear oil temps... The 5spd trannies seem to be able to put up with 400whp+ on the road course...

With the exception of the plethora of vendors, evoM is trash talk central IMO... I would take anything that's said on there with a grain of salt. Much like any other forum, there's quite a bit of misinformation and bias being spread about. Just the ammount of fanboys alone that lurk that site, you can find them on any other site... There just happens to be more of it happening on evoM... Just like the doesn't WORKS fanboys, or the Buschur / Dynoflash fanboys, or the Warrtalon / Buschur fanboys on evoM, is like the guys here on HT that give you **** for looking anything other than GC/KONI or some uber JDM tein suspension...

Anyway, going back on topic...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

b18c5 tranny = b16 tranny + lsd

OMG!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

ITR tranny:

1st: 3.230
2nd: 2.105
3rd: 1.458
4th: 1.107
5th: .848
FD: 4.400

EM1 US model S4C Tranny

5th: 0.875
FD: 4.266

So b18c5 is not exactly equal to b16 with LSD. Though, there is debate that the S4C has a 4.4 FD instead of the 4.266 listed in the helms manual...
Old 03-22-2007, 04:09 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can you use real words please....
That **** is just annoying</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wish everyone would take this advice.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Shift correctly...your tranny will be happy</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chim Chim &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is just my opinion:

I don't have any problems with my current MR... It shifts perfectly fine... IMO, the reason why people had issues with the shift quality (high RPM shifts) and claim the synchros suck is because there's quite a bit of slop in the motor mounts which a urethane insert or billet mount can fix. Another contributing factor is also the lackluster gear oil they come with from the factory. Or that they claim clutch sucks coz they kept dumping (drag launch) it and it didn't last more than 5K miles. There is a technique to driving these cars...

However, a lot of the 03's were garbage in terms of the drivetrain... There were issues improperly installed clutches, improperly shimmed rear differentials, and the infamous 2nd gear and 5th gear grind. It's the first production year and issues likes will always come up.

My personal issues with my previous 03' was the rear diff being rebuilt twice because both times they were not properly shimmed. I had the tranny rebuilt twice coz of the infamous 2nd and 5th gear grind which they put out a TSB for. And the tranfercase was replaced 3 times because of a leak. All of which was covered under warranty. The last straw being the second rear diff rebuild.

Yes, there have been quite a bit of horror stories with warranty issues, but that's the nature of the beast. People that don't really know how to drive it, abuse the car and break something by their own doing and cry foul because it wasn't covered under warranty. There's always 3 sides to every story. Their side, the dealer's side, and the truth.

The only drawback I see with the current MR is that there is more care to be taken when tracking with the 6spd tranny with above stock power... A couple of guys I know have sheered 4th gear due to high gear oil temps... The 5spd trannies seem to be able to put up with 400whp+ on the road course...

With the exception of the plethora of vendors, evoM is trash talk central IMO... I would take anything that's said on there with a grain of salt. Much like any other forum, there's quite a bit of misinformation and bias being spread about. Just the ammount of fanboys alone that lurk that site, you can find them on any other site... There just happens to be more of it happening on evoM... Just like the doesn't WORKS fanboys, or the Buschur / Dynoflash fanboys, or the Warrtalon / Buschur fanboys on evoM, is like the guys here on HT that give you **** for looking anything other than GC/KONI or some uber JDM tein suspension...

Anyway, going back on topic...

ITR tranny:

5th: .848
FD: 4.400

EM1 US model S4C Tranny

5th: 0.875
FD: 4.266

So b18c5 is not exactly equal to b16 with LSD. Though, there is debate that the S4C has a 4.4 FD instead of the 4.266 listed in the helms manual... </TD></TR></TABLE>

reguardless.... every car manufacturer is going to have problems with thier syncros, but honda definitley out performs the rest. go jump in a 2001 saturn with 50K and tell me it shifts like butter.... my 15 year old civic with 195k on it still shifts smooth and it has only used up one clutch. DO u think the previous owner babied it? hell no, niether do i. you could NEVER say the same about a mitsubithi or another japannesse car. honda transmission are bullet proof compared to others on the market... nothing compares
Old 03-22-2007, 05:39 PM

reguardless.... every car manufacturer is going to have problems with thier syncros, but honda definitley out performs the rest. go jump in a 2001 saturn with 50K and tell me it shifts like butter.... my 15 year old civic with 195k on it still shifts smooth and it has only used up one clutch. DO u think the previous owner babied it? hell no, niether do i. you could NEVER say the same about a mitsubithi or another japannesse car. honda transmission are bullet proof compared to others on the market... nothing compares</TD></TR></TABLE>

In that argument, yes, my EJ6 shifts like butter no matter how fast or slow (sloppy) I shift. All the reason why it makes great for a DD... The only complaint would be the ISB crapping out @ 165K...
Old 03-22-2007, 07:39 PM

Toyota Still make the best manual gearbox thats why anyone in RWD who is doing big HP useds a Toyota Supra RWD box.

But loving the short shift Del Sol.