Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B16A2 Swap Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16A2 Swap Question

im currently in the process of getting a b16a2 from a 00' EM1 into my 94' cx hatch and had a quick question on when i swap it in. since im going to BAR it i know i need the P2T Ecu, but would it make the swap alot easier if i got the EM1 engine harness? or do i even need it?

any help would be appreciated
Old 06-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: B16A2 Swap Question

The EM1 engine harness will have the right ECU plugs, and the ones for the sensors. So it might be easier. But your really going to have a OBD2 setup in a OBD1 car? Idk how that even works honestly.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:15 PM

You will need to convert fully to OBD2 (obd2 CA catalytic converter, obd2 style charcoal canister, fuel tank pressure sensor, etc.) Also, in so Cal, you can NOT use a jumper harness through the referree. You will have to hard-wire in the conversion at the ECU (a real pain in the A$$). You are better off installing an OBD1 longblock and BAR'ing as a Del Sol VTEC swap
Old 06-14-2011, 12:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HAMOTORSPORTS
You will need to convert fully to OBD2 (obd2 CA catalytic converter, obd2 style charcoal canister, fuel tank pressure sensor, etc.) Also, in so Cal, you can NOT use a jumper harness through the referree. You will have to hard-wire in the conversion at the ECU (a real pain in the A$$). You are better off installing an OBD1 longblock and BAR'ing as a Del Sol VTEC swap
well i already bought the motor... theoretically if i had the engine harness for an EM1 wouldnt that take out the hardwire if the harness has the plugs? also besides the emissions reqirements what else would i have to convert to OBD2B on my hatch?
Old 06-14-2011, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by EG FTW
well i already bought the motor... theoretically if i had the engine harness for an EM1 wouldnt that take out the hardwire if the harness has the plugs? also besides the emissions reqirements what else would i have to convert to OBD2B on my hatch?
You can't use an EK engine harness in a 92-95 civic. It is completely different, plugs are in different areas, wires at different plugs, and the dash wiring is integrated at the EK harness plugs where it isn't on the EG. You have to use an EG or DC2 engine harness.

I'd recommend selling that engine since you already bought it and either locating a b16a3 del sol B16, or even better a 94-95 GSR engine.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can't use an EK engine harness in a 92-95 civic. It is completely different, plugs are in different areas, wires at different plugs, and the dash wiring is integrated at the EK harness plugs where it isn't on the EG. You have to use an EG or DC2 engine harness.

I'd recommend selling that engine since you already bought it and either locating a b16a3 del sol B16, or even better a 94-95 GSR engine.
alright but is it still possible to drop it in and actually get it to pass bar legit? the reason i ask is it took me awhile to find a b16a2 and dont want to just get rid of it as soon as i get it...
Old 06-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i did some searching in the archives and found a thread that someone else has done this swap before, but didn't bar it because they lived in chicago. this is what someone said they needed:

99-00 Civic SI B16a2 in a 95 Civic EG???? (SOHC_2_DOHC)
i just did the swap the other day. if you have a 99-00 b16 this is what you need.
1.96-01 gsr or ls harness
2.obd-1 gsr(p72) ecu, b16(p30), or a chipped p28
3.complete swap from si including axles, shift linkage.
4.94-01 rear L bracket or t bracket or rear tranny mount.

im curious if id be able to pass bar with a p30 which i assume is obd1 and i dont know if that'll work with my motor.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump nobody's done this swap?
Old 06-15-2011, 05:25 PM

Bump nobody's done this swap?
Plenty of people have done this swap. Your question has already been answered.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well my question hasnt really been answered at all. my question was would i be able to bar my car with this motor and all the appropriate equip on it. not to just be able to swap the motor in my car...
Old 06-17-2011, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i did some searching in the archives and found a thread that someone else has done this swap before, but didn't bar it because they lived in chicago. this is what someone said they needed:

99-00 Civic SI B16a2 in a 95 Civic EG???? (SOHC_2_DOHC)
i just did the swap the other day. if you have a 99-00 b16 this is what you need.
1.96-01 gsr or ls harness
2.obd-1 gsr(p72) ecu, b16(p30), or a chipped p28
3.complete swap from si including axles, shift linkage.
4.94-01 rear L bracket or t bracket or rear tranny mount.

im curious if id be able to pass bar with a p30 which i assume is obd1 and i dont know if that'll work with my motor.
Its too much of a hassle to bar a obd2 engine in a obd1 car. Your just better of running the motor with the steps you suggested above. The p30 will not work to have the car bar'd because its an odb1 ecu making an obd2 engine run. According to the state ref if the motor is an odb2 then everything in your car must be obd2. As far as a Del Sol Vtec it can use this 99-00 Si motor as a replacement motor if its original b16a3 motor is blown because the Del Sol Vtec is originally equipped with a b16 motor in the United States legitimately. Whereas the 92-95 civic hatch or any 92-95 civic in that matter was never offered the b16 as an option so this is the reason why everything has to balance with the year of the motor.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HONDA RR
Its too much of a hassle to bar a obd2 engine in a obd1 car. Your just better of running the motor with the steps you suggested above. The p30 will not work to have the car bar'd because its an odb1 ecu making an obd2 engine run. According to the state ref if the motor is an odb2 then everything in your car must be obd2. As far as a Del Sol Vtec it can use this 99-00 Si motor as a replacement motor if its original b16a3 motor is blown because the Del Sol Vtec is originally equipped with a b16 motor in the United States legitimately. Whereas the 92-95 civic hatch or any 92-95 civic in that matter was never offered the b16 as an option so this is the reason why everything has to balance with the year of the motor.
how much of a hassle is it really? because i would really like to get this motor in my eg asap. what makes it soooo much more difficult than a del sol b16 swap? anyone got any details on this? it doesnt matter to me how long it takes i just want to know how to get it in my car and running so i can get it bard.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Trial User

It doesn't have to be a difficult swap but, even without the wiring hassle you'd have to go through for the OBD2 conversion, it is hard to get the state referee to BAR anything. There's so much paperwork and bureaucracy. I used to live in so cal and I would always just get a crooked smog somewhere in order to appease the dmv. Just avoid smog checkpoints and don't rip on your car on freeway on ramps where they hide the emissions sensors.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:36 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well my question hasnt really been answered at all. my question was would i be able to bar my car with this motor and all the appropriate equip on it. not to just be able to swap the motor in my car...
Your answer has been answered rather eloquently. Maybe you should read your own thread a few more times.

Hint:

Old 06-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Doofus
It doesn't have to be a difficult swap but, even without the wiring hassle you'd have to go through for the OBD2 conversion, it is hard to get the state referee to BAR anything. There's so much paperwork and bureaucracy. I used to live in so cal and I would always just get a crooked smog somewhere in order to appease the dmv. Just avoid smog checkpoints and don't rip on your car on freeway on ramps where they hide the emissions sensors.
ive thought about that route, but knowing myself i would most likely get caught...so to just be on a safer side id rather go through all the bs and get it legal.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ek forever guy
Your answer has been answered rather eloquently. Maybe you should read your own thread a few more times.
that answer didn't come close to answering my question on baring. all he talked about was the wiring harness and nothing about baring. im asking nice here guys, but noone can seem to provide me with a definitive answer.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:13 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by HONDA RR
The p30 will not work to have the car bar'd because its an odb1 ecu making an obd2 engine run. According to the state ref if the motor is an odb2 then everything in your car must be obd2. As far as a Del Sol Vtec it can use this 99-00 Si motor as a replacement motor if its original b16a3 motor is blown because the Del Sol Vtec is originally equipped with a b16 motor in the United States legitimately. Whereas the 92-95 civic hatch or any 92-95 civic in that matter was never offered the b16 as an option so this is the reason why everything has to balance with the year of the motor.
What part of this didn't answer your question?
Old 06-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
What part of this didn't answer your question?
the whole thing. still doesnt let me know if i'll be able to bar this engine in my car. all that states is info about the ref and bull. all i need is a yes or no answer (which apparently noone can provide) so i can close this damn thread.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the whole thing. still doesnt let me know if i'll be able to bar this engine in my car. all that states is info about the ref and bull. all i need is a yes or no answer (which apparently noone can provide) so i can close this damn thread.
if that didn't answer your question you must not know anything about baring.

You have an OBD2 engine, to bar it your whole car must be OBD2

You can't do it.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can't do it.
thats all i needed to hear. thread closed.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

DAM...got tired of reading all the crap sorry to say but some ppl dont know there **** i just bared this same motor in to a 94 ej1 so if you want to bar it hit me up i can get it done for you i have all the parts to bar any b16 into any 92-95 civic jdm or usdm and ive also done a jdm B16 and im about to bar one more for some guy
Old 06-23-2011, 12:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if that didn't answer your question you must not know anything about baring.

You have an OBD2 engine, to bar it your whole car must be OBD2

You can't do it.
LMFAO whent back and read some of the post and dam thud: dam ppl dont know **** lol you run it as a del sol B16 and YES you CAN ill put money on it i just did one and have done a jdm B16a and are about to bar some guys JDM OBD2 b16 in his eg......
Old 06-23-2011, 01:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats all i needed to hear. thread closed.
wtf you can do it, it's just going to be ALOT of money..didn't anyone hear him he just got the motor...i'm sure he doesn't want to sell it anyways so soon....

but being realistic maybe sell and aim for a gsr motor pros easier to bar,swap, and more power for your car. but up to you really what you wanna do.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

all u need to bar the b16 is USDM P30 good car and make sure that you have every thing wire up wire up correctly and your good
Old 06-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you sir are wrong.
you cannot bar a JDM anything. fin.

Quick Reply: B16A2 Swap Question