Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B16A2 Sparkplug Service (Pic inside)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 03:31 PM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B16A2 Sparkplug Service (Pic inside)

After trying different brands of sparkplugs in my DD CiViCs, I settled on Champion Copper Plus #318 (RC12MC4) years ago.

I don't know about you guys, but I use an aggressive gap (.48-.50) and Copper Plus plugs get the job done!

Don't ask me why (guess I was in a whimsical mood), but last time I changed them out, I went with NGK BKR6EGP plugs.

Here's the result, after about 25k miles (platinums are supposed to last longer)...
Does this look like 'normal' wear to you (B16A2 with approx 100k on the motor)?

Tips and grounds are okay, but the ceramic looks a little shitty to me!

I'm NOT a fan of platinum plugs, but I can glass bead them and keep 'em around... I guess.

I replaced them with Champion #318s this morning.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: B16A2 Sparkplug Service (Pic inside)

They look like any other plugs from my,or my friends B16a2's ( shrugs) I had odd missfiring issues using the plugs you haI though.Turned out two of them were actually cracked in half after a couple track days,so back to NGK iIwent( I use coppers though)
Old 08-12-2009, 12:36 AM
HT White Ops

Originally Posted by TorquelessEM1
[...] I had odd missfiring issues using the plugs you haI though.Turned out two of them were actually cracked in half [...]
SOURCE: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...stallation.asp (NGK - Spark Plug Installation Instructions)

1. Installing spark plugs

Torque is one of the most critical aspects of spark plug installation. Torque directly affects the spark plugs' ability to transfer heat out of the combustion chamber. A spark plug that is under-torqued will not be fully seated on the cylinder head, hence heat transfer will be slowed. This will tend to elevate combustion chamber temperatures to unsafe levels, and pre-ignition and detonation will usually follow. Serious engine damage is not far behind.

An over-torqued spark plug can suffer from severe stress to the Metal Shell which in turn can distort the spark plug's inner gas seals or even cause a hairline fracture to the spark plug's insulator...in either case, heat transfer can again be slowed and the above mentioned conditions can occur.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackDeuceCoupe
SOURCE: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...stallation.asp (NGK - Spark Plug Installation Instructions)
With the hundreds of times I have changed plugs in my cars or friends,that ONE set of Champions was the ONLY set I have ever had give me any issues..( and having it happen at 110+ on a roadcourse was the LAST place I needed this to happen)....I know well enough not to tq a plug down like a ham fisted idiot....LOL
Old 08-15-2009, 01:04 AM
HT White Ops

Definition of an Arizona mechanic: Strips the drain plug hole, but leaves the head loose! LoL!

I've been running Champion plugs for years. They ARE more fragile than other brands - no doubt about it.

Arizona Motto: **** happens!

Only ones I've busted though are ones I accidently dropped on the floor...

Do you use a torque wrench?

Flat seals are really hard to 'read', especially if your using anti-seize compound on the threads...
Old 08-15-2009, 05:07 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm no plug expert, but they look normal to me. Pretty good for 25,000 miles.
In the pic, the one on the bottom right looks a little white though (I bet it came out of cylinder #1 ).

The NGK Laser Platinums I used with my B16A and the V-Powers I always use otherwise with both cars I own end up with that same redish hue.

Honestly, I don't think the Platinum plugs are woth the extra money. The electrode may last a very long time, but the gap between it and the strap will still increase over time. I hate the idea of pulling the expensive plugs, re-gapping them and reusing them.

/.02¢
Old 08-15-2009, 06:35 PM
HT White Ops

Originally Posted by mcvtec
Honestly, I don't think the Platinum plugs are worth the extra money. The electrode may last a very long time, but the gap between it and the strap will still increase over time.
Agreed!

Plats are okay, if (say) you got a V-6 minivan and have to remove the intake manifold to service the rear plugs - or whatever.

Generally speaking, I don't care for platinum-tipped plugs, but they do take a beating!

Silver plugs are the best IMHO... but like you said, I don't think they're worth the price ($15 each for Brisks).

Copper core plugs have always worked best for me, and they're cheap enough to replace at every oil change, if you want.

I paid 2 bucks each for the Champion #318s, but I've bought them for as little as 79 cents in the past. LoL!

Guess I'll stock up next time I see them on sale...