Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B16A2 JDM smog problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16A2 JDM smog problems?

Hi,

I'm looking to get a B16A2, and was wondering if anybody in SoCAL has had any problems with getting the JDM engine certified street legal, and what you have done to get it to pass the certification. If its to much of a pain, then i'm willing to get a usdm. Thanks for your help
Old 07-06-2006, 10:46 AM

Default Re: B16A2 JDM smog problems? (medside)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by medside &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi,

I'm looking to get a B16A2, and was wondering if anybody in SoCAL has had any problems with getting the JDM engine certified street legal, and what you have done to get it to pass the certification. If its to much of a pain, then i'm willing to get a usdm. Thanks for your help</TD></TR></TABLE>

it will pass BAR as long as it's emissions compliant (ie: changeover from a usdm model), and you'll be good to go
Old 07-06-2006, 11:09 AM

Default Re: B16A2 JDM smog problems? (thahuhstunna)

I read somewhere that even with the change over there may be problems with the JDM engine passing the BAR, because of the difference in compression ratio, the emmissions test fails. is that common, and are there ways to fix it so it will pass?
Old 07-06-2006, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: B16A2 JDM smog problems? (medside)

though i don't live in cali i also have heard the jdm motors are hard to pass inspection. i was recently flipping through a import tuner at the news stand today and saw they have a whole area covering this. you should check it out it might help. oh, by the way the b16a2 is a usdm, not jdm.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:58 PM

Default Re: B16A2 JDM smog problems? (philosofy1)

Yes the JDM motors are very hard to pass emission especially here in california. I had an EG with a b16a, motor ran strong and hard... very reliable... however as far as smog went, not so reliable. So i started with the change over... went out spent $180.00 on an obd1 p30 (dohc del sol ecu)... and other ****, stock intake, header, as much parts as i could, went to referee in my car... FAIL FAIL FAIL, the compression was way too high, puts out way too many knox. My friend... has a JDM GSR (basically the bottom end is the same as type r) and his compression on that thing is insane, he had to put 2 cats, 3 head gaskets, and obd1 p72 ecu just to get it to pass. It's not easy getting a jdm motor barred. What i did was bared a USDM gsr, then swapped in a type r and im good to go. If you're looking for smog purposes, Get the a2, if u can get it done illegally, and want the bang out of your buck, get the Jdm b16. as shown here... http://members.cardomain.com/dels0l theres my dohc del sol, and then on page 2 is my jdm b16 hatch, even though the hatch was a little lighter, the motor wouldve smoked my us one... way faster... hope that helps.

Old 07-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: B16A2 JDM smog problems? (egcivicdelsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcivicdelsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes the JDM motors are very hard to pass emission especially here in california. I had an EG with a b16a, motor ran strong and hard... very reliable... however as far as smog went, not so reliable. So i started with the change over... went out spent $180.00 on an obd1 p30 (dohc del sol ecu)... and other ****, stock intake, header, as much parts as i could, went to referee in my car... FAIL FAIL FAIL, the compression was way too high, puts out way too many knox. My friend... has a JDM GSR (basically the bottom end is the same as type r) and his compression on that thing is insane, he had to put 2 cats, 3 head gaskets, and obd1 p72 ecu just to get it to pass. It's not easy getting a jdm motor barred. What i did was bared a USDM gsr, then swapped in a type r and im good to go. If you're looking for smog purposes, Get the a2, if u can get it done illegally, and want the bang out of your buck, get the Jdm b16. as shown here... http://members.cardomain.com/dels0l theres my dohc del sol, and then on page 2 is my jdm b16 hatch, even though the hatch was a little lighter, the motor wouldve smoked my us one... way faster... hope that helps. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Something must've been wrong with your car. I have a jdm GSR. All I did was:

1) install usdm intake tube and exhaust manifold
2) buy usdm ecu
3) install evap purge control solenoid valve
4) adjust timing to 16 +/- 2* btdc
5) install brand new Cat. Converter
6) performed basic tune-up (new cap, rotor, spark plugs, spark plug wires, and oil change).

1-3 was to pass the visual inspection
4-6 was to pass the tailpipe test.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:02 PM

Default Re: B16A2 JDM smog problems? (Jedi_Sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jedi_Sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Something must've been wrong with your car. I have a jdm GSR. All I did was:

1) install usdm intake tube and exhaust manifold
2) buy usdm ecu
3) install evap purge control solenoid valve
4) adjust timing to 16 +/- 2* btdc
5) install brand new Cat. Converter
6) performed basic tune-up (new cap, rotor, spark plugs, spark plug wires, and oil change).

1-3 was to pass the visual inspection
4-6 was to pass the tailpipe test.</TD></TR></TABLE>

really not all that difficult to ref, too many people talking out their asses
Old 07-06-2006, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for me so far its been 2 years since i smogged my car.. 96 jdm gsr in my 98 ek hatch but im still driving with a new registration every year...and yes i live in cali...i dont noe how long i can do this but all i do is fill out a smog exemption form saying i live out of state and send it in with my payment and a few weeks later a new registration.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:00 PM

Default Re: (ekb16)

Nothing was wrong with the motor... i got it from a very reliable company of venus motorsport. I had a full basic tune up, ran 100 octane, del sol cat, del sol ecu, and it still wasnt passing at higher rpms. A lot of people can say oh bar is easy this and that, but lets see it. half of peoples motors arent legit in the first place, let alone legit with street legal. good luck with whatever you do though.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:25 PM

Default Re: (egcivicdelsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcivicdelsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> A lot of people can say oh bar is easy this and that, but lets see it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

live in nor-cal and have BAR'd 6, count em, 6 vehicles... educate yourselves on the rules and you guys will be alright
Old 07-07-2006, 07:57 PM

Default Re: (thahuhstunna)

interesting.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:11 PM

Default Re: (egcivicdelsol)

The USDM B16 runs at 11.2 comp. ratio while JDM B16 runs at 11.4 compression. This bump in compression alone, while numerically insignificant, is almost enough to make your vehicle fail the emissions test. Reason is at higher temps and or compression NOX gets really high. Check out this month's Import Tuner. There's an article in there just about this. They (Import Tuner) put a JDM B16 in thier civic and it FAILED the emmisions test due to high NOX!
Old 07-07-2006, 09:33 PM

Default Re: (DA9 Purist)

im glad someone else understands...