Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B16A2 High Compression Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 B16A2 High Compression Help

I have a 99 si stock b16a2. Im wanting to build it but idk what i need to do a high compression. Im looking around 11.5-12.5 something i can drive daily.
i have been looking up ls vtec, poormans type r, or b20 vtec, or build my b16. But this is my only vehicle so ill have to build my block then swap them out. Let me know what u guys think. plus i wanna put cams, valves and retainers also but imma probably do cams not and valves later.

id like my b16 to run like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3zB15MHVsU
Old 01-14-2012, 07:15 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: B16A2 High Compression Help

If you have not a clue then browse the All-Motor forum and get some ideas.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-motor-naturally-aspirated-44/
If you "wanna put cams, valves and retainers" but don't know what you even need on the build you need to do some more research and figure out what parts will do what towards your goals.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya thats what i have been doing. My buddy is gonna help me, he has built alot of high compression cars. I love the b16 but im ready for more power.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:21 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Then check out the All Motor forum builds.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

b20vtec. if you want more power NA you'll have to source out a new block. the b16a is gutless in NA form. no torque anywhere in the motor.
200 for the block(anywhere from bare to everything in it.)
get an lsv kit, 3in exhaust, some high compression pistons, rings, arp rod bolts, shot peened rods, theres tons of lsv build threads to use. then talk to all motor in the all motor section for cams. either supertech valvetrain or whatever comes with his cams(he semi took over for rocket cams which is what was apparently used in this vid.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my best suggestion would be to, take out your b16a2! get rid of the b16a2 bottom and find a b18a1/b1 bottom! replace the crappy pistons with high compression ones (shootpeen to the ls rods or just buy forged rods for stronger internals).. if u plan to bore make sure u get the right size pistons u bored to, and if ur keeping them stock then its going to be 81mm! i would highly suggest upgrading you mains and main bolts also so u can make your bottom stronger (crank shaft).. kings are decent! also you can instal a girdle (gsr or any other aftermarket one).. but there rele is no point in installing a girdle if you have pretty strong mains anyway!

and now for the head! upgrade the valvetrain if you want to acces high rpms safely and get more hp gains (valves, valve guides, valve springs, retainers, valve seals and camshafts).. dual valve springs and high compression valves is the best idea to go! titanium retainers or whatever u choose is great also, and camshatfs is all up to you! i would get some brian crower or skunk2 camshafts, those are my best choices but you can pick whichever you want!

others you can buy that will help also in your project:
-new intake manifold (skunk2 ad etc..
-better fuel rail (aem, skunk2)
-adjustable fuel pressure regulator (with gauge would be nice)
-maybe upgrade to some 310cc injectors or get dsm injectors (will need resistor box if your car is running high impedence injectors and u want to switch to low impedende which are dsm, but is awesome if you already have the resistor box installed)
-and whatever else you desire

you will need the lsvtec conversion kit (easiest one and non messiest is the sandwhich plate that fit between your oil filter and the block).. dont forget you will also need the hybrid head gasket (cometic is my choice) 81mm if keeping stock bore! you will also need the gsr main studs bc b16a2 is too short (get ARP's they are best).. will also need (gsr water pump, oil pump, timing belt and oil pan)..

well thats pretty much it, i may have forgot some stuff, but fill it in for me if im incorrect about some info and if im missing any! enjoy!

one more thing! dont forget to get your rotating assembly balanced afterwards! it helps!

Last edited by Dom93; 01-14-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol at you want you B16 to run like that video. You mean you want it to run like a healthy motor should?

You don't really "need" anything to run that type of compression, just the pistons. Then some premium fuel and a tune to rid detonation.

I say CTR pistons, ARP rod bolts, and ITR internals for the head.

Last edited by DirtyDA9; 01-14-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats the setup i went with.. works out good..

most of things i listed were just other things that would satisfy my needs! but everyone does everything different, no motor is alike in a way..
Old 01-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DirtyDA9
Lol at you want you B16 to run like that video. You mean you want it to run like a healthy motor should?

You don't really "need" anything to run that type of compression, just the pistons. Then some premium fuel and a tune to rid detonation.

I say CTR pistons, ARP rod bolts, and ITR internals for the head.
this is exactly what i was thinking, and build the head. i already have a skunk2 pro series intake manifold. i wanna build it but not get ***** deep into something that will take months.